• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/16/08 (Bump or Bust Mogul Competition)

MRGisevil

Oh man! That's awesome. You had such a cool vantage point. Yep - we need to work on getting the high res hosted. I'll PM you with some ideas...

Thank you so much Randi for filming and editing that. Steve - you rule! :lol:

Np dude! I actually had alot of fun. And thanks very much to Chris & Jarrod at Sundown for their hospitality!

Greg

Staff member
Whoever had the early release on the jump NICE!!!!!:razz::daffy:

That was Powhunter aka Steve. The guy standing next to me up top was laughing so hard when that happned he feel over in his skis

It should be very clear now why Steve freakin' cracks me up all the time... :lol:

Great guy. :beer:

2knees

i'm up to take some advil.

My knee is frcung killing me..

highpeaksdrifter

Wow, that duel format looks like a blast and the top part of the course looks tuff, big and deep.

Nigil and pow hunter falling, getting up and winning was awesome.

50% judging on turns? Did anyone who didn’t cross the finish line first advance? Didn’t think so.

It’s all part of the game, but Pat falling on the flats in the semis sucked. He had the turns and speed to win it all.

Lots of good skiers there, I’m very impressed. Great job.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Greg, you got hosed. Nigel might have beat you in speed significantly, but how does someone that biffs off the jump get the win? Pretty good bump run for a tele skier, maybe he got the sympathy vote for being on tele ;) Looks like a good time, glad you all enjoyed.

MR. evil

Greg, you got hosed. Nigel might have beat you in speed significantly, but how does someone that biffs off the jump get the win? Pretty good bump run for a tele skier, maybe he got the sympathy vote for being on tele ;) Looks like a good time, glad you all enjoyed.

Agreed, Greg and a few others got hosed! Looking at all the footage Randi took I noticed that Nigel's first two runs he did even ski the bumps on the upper half of the course. He skied on extreme skiers right on the trail edge and didn't even hit a single bump until after the kicker.

o3jeff

Great job everyone and thanks for the videos.

Johnnie just about finished Nigel off when he came into his lane.

MRGisevil

You know, Greg...I know I have a knack for making fun videos and all...put yours just always seem epic. Thanks for the pre-work pump up.

highpeaksdrifter

Scoring turns is subjective and always controversial, especially in amateur events. Someone crossing the finish line a good distance ahead of the other guy is something everyone can see so it’s easy to advance that person.

From what I understand they had one person to watch 2 people at once. The contest I was in at Gore Sunday had 4 judges to watch one skier at a time and people where still bitching about the scoring.

highpeaksdrifter

Agreed, Greg and a few others got hosed! Looking at all the footage Randi took I noticed that Nigel's first two runs he did even ski the bumps on the upper half of the course. He skied on extreme skiers right on the trail edge and didn't even hit a single bump until after the kicker.

Just about everybody thinks they get hosed in these things. Bitching to your friends is one thing, putting it up on a forum at the expense of the winner looks very lame. Sour grapes don't taste very good.

You guys, I'm sure Greg lead the way, did a great job putting this together. Don't let comments like this take over this thread and put your event in a bad light.

SkiDork

Sorry we couldn't make it - would have had to leave Bristol at like 7 AM. Ended up stopping at Cooperstown on the way home, had never been there before. Gonna watch the vids now.

Dork

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Scoring turns is subjective and always controversial, especially in amateur events. Someone crossing the finish line a good distance ahead of the other guy is something everyone can see so it’s easy to advance that person.
Of course scoring turns is subjective. I never said the tele dude turned better than Greg, I wrote that the tele dude biffed the jump... also something everyone can see. No trick and a horrid landing versus Greg had a pretty clean jump. Not saying the jump should count for everything, but when you ass hits the ground off the jump when you don't do a trick, that should be serious points off.

Greg

Staff member
Wow, that duel format looks like a blast and the top part of the course looks tuff, big and deep.

Nigil and pow hunter falling, getting up and winning was awesome.

I think that was Mikey1 vs. jonnypoach with jonnypoach getting up to speed top the win. Agreed. One of the major highlights!

50% judging on turns? Did anyone who didn’t cross the finish line first advance? Didn’t think so.

Well, MrMagic was edged out at the end in one of his heats (the first of him in my vid), but still won his heat.

It’s all part of the game, but Pat falling on the flats in the semis sucked. He had the turns and speed to win it all.

Lots of good skiers there, I’m very impressed. Great job.

Agreed. Pat had it, even with the wild low orbit out of control air. :lol: Kudos to MrMagic for keeping calm and skiing through to take it.

I do think there was some unspoken handicap, but no biggie. I think my heat with Nigel was pretty close until I saw the video. He killed me in speed at the end. That was actually my worst air evidence by Randi's video (sort of a big V spread eagle) and I landed way right, but I still think I got the air points. Speed goes to Nigel obviously and I guess they just liked his turns better. My plan to ski consistent even if I was slow backfired on me. I think if the gap was closer, I would have had a chance. I should have just let 'em run. Hindsight is 20:20, and all that...

Just about everybody thinks they get hosed in these things. Bitching to your friends is one thing, putting it up on a forum at the expense of the winner looks very lame. Sour grapes don't taste very good.

You guys, I'm sure Greg lead the way, did a great job putting this together. Don't let comments like this take over this thread and put your event in a bad light.

Indeed. And I didn't mean to take anything away from Nigel. My heat with him was close overall. It really could have gone either way. I'm certainly not bitter. I had a freakin' blast and loved getting used to that kicker in about 10 minutes right before the event. The energy at the top of the hill was awesome and everyone was into it. We all had fun and that's what counts. If MrMagic landed cleanly in the finals, I'm sure he would have taken it.

Great job everyone!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cool vids and great job by everyone. I think the most impressive part of nigel's skiing is the way he straightlines the bottom just flying. Tough call either way.

One thing that stands out though is it looks like those on the skier's left course definitely had an advantage with a somewhat shorter course due to the curve in the trail.

Hopefully next year I can make it down. Looks like a total no pressure blast. Well certainly some pressure, but not like say a Killington comp which is way serious.

highpeaksdrifter

Of course scoring turns is subjective. I never said the tele dude turned better than Greg, I wrote that the tele dude biffed the jump... also something everyone can see. No trick and a horrid landing versus Greg had a pretty clean jump. Not saying the jump should count for everything, but when you ass hits the ground off the jump when you don't do a trick, that should be serious points off.

How do you know, are you prevy to the scoring criteria at Sundown? A coach at WF told me that in Jr. comps falling is a half pt. deduction. Also, tele dude falling, getting up, then pulling away was pretty impressive.

highpeaksdrifter

I

I do think there was some unspoken handicap, but no biggie. I think my heat with Nigel was pretty close until I saw the video. He killed me in speed at the end. That was actually my worst air evidence by Randi's video (sort of a big V spread eagle) and I landed way right, but I still think I got the air points. Speed goes to Nigel obviously and I guess they just liked his turns better. My plan to ski consistent even if I was slow backfired on me. I think if the gap was closer, I would have had a chance. I should have just let 'em run. Hindsight is 20:20, and all that...

Exactly, you learned and will take that knowledge to the next competition.

You're at WF April 4th on April 5th there is the Apple Butter Mogal Comp. Single, no speed basis, well suited to your skill package at this point. You'll be up hear anyway, seems perfect and you can hang with me and my crew so you won't feel like you are there by yourself. It's a low key, fun, end of the season event.

SkiDork

How do you know, are you prevy to the scoring criteria at Sundown? A coach at WF told me that in Jr. comps falling is a half pt. deduction. Also, tele dude falling, getting up, then pulling away was pretty impressive.

It's actually a bit more complicated thatn that. Here's the rulebook on falling/turns:

turn_score1.jpg

turn_score2.jpg