• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Surfing

HD333

Sorry for the threadjack.
For the surfers how different is the wave catching process from a boogie board, I am talking being in deep water using flippers not catching a broken wave on the shore.
I ask because growing up I was an avid body boarder but never tried actual surfing. Now that I am all grown up I want to try surfing.
Do I rent a long board and give it a go? Or do I bury my pride and have some teenage kid teach me?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Threadjack some more but I just watched Soul Surfer... Pretty good flick. I liked it more
I thought I would.
Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

snowmonster

Sorry for the threadjack.
For the surfers how different is the wave catching process from a boogie board, I am talking being in deep water using flippers not catching a broken wave on the shore.
I ask because growing up I was an avid body boarder but never tried actual surfing. Now that I am all grown up I want to try surfing.
Do I rent a long board and give it a go? Or do I bury my pride and have some teenage kid teach me?
Not a threadjack at all.

I think bodyboarding (with fins) makes you familiar with the rhythms of the ocean -- how to catch a wave, the feeling that comes when the wave catches you and turning in the wave. You can also use it to learn how to duckdive, turn turtle and learn to read where the wave breaks. I'd say it's a good intro to surfing despite what some people may think. If you're not comfortable in the waves, learning to surf will be more of a chore.

If you're getting into surfing, I'd suggest renting a longboard and starting from there. Aside from learning how to paddle around and finding your balance, it's easier to pop-up on a longboard than a shortboard. When you finally stand on a board and you're riding a wave, you'll be hooked. However, nothing substitutes for watertime. If you must take a lesson, there are surf shops that offer lessons. There were even these two women surfers in Wellfleet that had a surf school. I may get little snowmonster a lesson from them and even one for myself to get tips on a shortboard.

See you in the lineup!
Threadjack some more but I just watched Soul Surfer... Pretty good flick. I liked it more
I thought I would.
Thanks for the reco. I heard good things about the film.

twinplanx

Think HD333 actually gets the tread headed back in the right direction... And I could not have said it any better then SnowMonster. A smooth pop-up is critical in getting to your feet and making the wave. Since you have been bodyboarding you should have an head-start in being able to "read" the waves. Have fun and I will also give a thumbs-up to Soul Surfer :razz:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Pardon the horrible typing on the phone last night. Yeah the movie was really good, way better than I expected. I really enjoyed it.

I ended up googling quite a bit about the attack after the movie was over. I have to say, genius marketing move releasing the movie to DVD during shark week.

snowmonster

Heads up, surfers! Just checked Magic Seaweed for this weekend's Cape forecast: 1 foot waves on Friday and Saturday (meh) but, on Sunday, 7 foot waves at noon and 4.5 feet at 6 (whoah)! Wax those boards! Surf's up!

twinplanx

Looks like a low press. system pushes off the coast this weekend. I'm more intrested in what was, T.S. Emily... Hopefully restrenghtening over water and producing swell..Mon.-Tue.? Anyone know of free surf forecasting sites that work well on not-so-smart-phones?

sent from my Samsung somethin or other :)

Edd

I thought I would.

That surprises me because I just saw the trailer and it looks dreadful.

snowmonster

Looks like a low press. system pushes off the coast this weekend. I'm more intrested in what was, T.S. Emily... Hopefully restrenghtening over water and producing swell..Mon.-Tue.? Anyone know of free surf forecasting sites that work well on not-so-smart-phones?

sent from my Samsung somethin or other :)

Magicseaweed and Surfline have websites that you can use.

Just got back from a morning session and I still have water in my ears. Clean early but getting choppy out there. Water was chillier today and I took some grief from others in the lineup for wearing a shorty. Told them I'm used to this because "I'm a skier." That shut them up. Friday and Saturday defied the forecast. Conditions were better than expected. Nice clean breaks at lowtide. Good weekend for surfing. Just checked MSW and it they're calling 3.5 foot swells in Cape Cod tomorrow AM. Tuesday to Friday forecast looks good too. Pick of the week seems to be Thursday with 4.5 foot swells at 8 seconds with winds from SSW. And sunny:)

twinplanx

My phone has a hard time w/ Magic Seaweed. I use Surfline but they seem to want you to pay for the premium thing... I'll dick around w/ the free one, but its annoying when I have to look at there advertising while I wait for a Bouy Report.
I don't know about the Cape, but this summer has been dreadfully flat on Long Island...

snowmonster

^ I'm not too familiar with phones but, if you can download apps, try the Oakley Surf Report. They use Surfline but in a more-user friendly format. Been having trouble with MSW the past few days. Today, they made me update the app. More features (including specific buoy readings) that I'm still getting used to but very good. It's more info than I how to use.

Surfing in the east is just like skiing -- you take what you can get. Hope you have some good waves this week.

SKIQUATTRO

been surfing for 30 years...shortboard, longboard now SUP surfing (and flatwater workouts) mostly surf Long Island (I'm 20 min from the beach) and Cape Cod (Coast Guard, Eastham) as we have a house there.....i surf all winter too, not on the weekends as we are skiing...i only longboard in the winter to minimize duckdiving....

only a surfer knows the feeling...

SKIQUATTRO

MSW is alot more accurate than Swellinfo...surfline is decent...knowing your break, tides, winds and you can figure out whether or not its worth the trip down to the beach....

snowmonster

Despite the call for flat conditions on the Cape (Surfline), Friday afternoon was pretty good at Nauset Light with waist-high -- and quick closing -- waves. Saturday morning at Marconi was pretty flat. Found a nice break a long walk from Marconi in the afternoon and as the tide went out, the wave really improved. Spent about 5 hours in the water and my back muscles are really strained now. I had to take the day off, which is good because I hit the beach today and it was flatter than a lake.

Saturday in the lineup was great. Lots of surfers talking skiing -- and surfer girls in bikinis!=)

snowmonster

Anybody been out on the water this summer? I've been in the water in Eastham the past few weeks and the water is warm for this tme of year. There were some stories about sighting "men in the grey suits" last week.=)

Cannonball

I've been in the water a lot lately on the South Shore. Very warm for this point in the summer.

A few of my colleagues are the ones doing the shark research on the cape right now for the state. They have been seeing A LOT of GWs. They were telling me something interesting the other day that I'd never thought of. They said that the big ones (16') aren't likely to do you any harm. They need to make their attacks calorically worthwhile so they are here for the grey seals and they don't bother with harbor seals or people. And the little babies (<10') are fish eaters with fish-eating teeth that aren't suited for biting people. But at ~10' they lose the baby teeth and get the classic 'shark tooth' and they are ready for bigger prey. But they need to learn from experience what's good to bite and what isn't. So these are the ones that end up "tasting" people! And apparently there are some 10-footers out there.