• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods to install Gondola

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't think I ever got to ride the B-lift. Whenever I went to Bretton, it was never running. Hopefully the gondola will run more often. Must not have been very many trails back in '73.

I wonder which lift will be finished first, the Bretton Gondola or the new six pack at Killington.

You aren't missing much. It has probably been 20 years or so for me. It was slow and stopped a lot. I recall it having a sign on one of the towers that said, "You are Leaving the Town of Bretton Woods and Entering Twin Mountain" or something like that.

DoublePlanker

I rode the B lift as a kid. I still remember the ride when I was with another child, slightly older, and we could not lower the bar. So we rode the entire way with the bar up. Terrified.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I rode the B lift as a kid. I still remember the ride when I was with another child, slightly older, and we could not lower the bar. So we rode the entire way with the bar up. Terrified.

My father tried skiing about 25 years ago and he had the same experience on the old Mount Oscar Double. He was petrified! :lol:

SkiMom80

Fabyans’s from the top is a bizarrely underskied trail. On a pow day there are mounds of soft snow that won’t be skied off for days after.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Agreed. We've gotten "first tracks" on Upper Express many times, and most of them were far from our first run of the day!

speden

Finally some real construction for the gondola is happening. Footings going in:

708a.jpg

Source: http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=708

That must mean all the permits and stuff are a done deal. Things should start to move quickly now.

Those old B chair towers will probably look like toothpicks compared to the gondola towers. The way the new base is angled, it looks like they will be hugging closer to the treeline than the B chair did.

speden

Looks like the new lift is going to be called the "Presidential Bahn".

I get the Presidential part, but not sure why they are using the German word for "train". Maybe because a gondola has cars like a train and an Austrian company is building the lift? Or could it be a variation on the cog railway over at Mt. Washington?

The NH tramway safety board approved the application to build the gondola at the August 20 meeting: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/firesafety/tramway/documents/8-20-2018Tramwayboardminutes.pdf.

The meeting minutes say that they presented a complete set of drawings for the gondola construction. Anyone know if those are online somewhere? I'm curious what the top terminal and Bethlehem crossover will be like.

crystalmountainskier

Yes bahn is directly translated as train but a ropeway/ski lift in German is a seilbahn (rope train.) Many lifts in Austria/Germany/Switzerland are named ____bahn without a space. In the states, Vail/Beaver Creek have the Arrow Bahn, Eagle Bahn, Riva Bahn and Vista Bahn (RIP). Edelweiss Valley in Quebec has the Edelbahn. I'm hoping the minutes have the spelling wrong and it's Presidentialbahn one word.

Newpylong

Looks like the new lift is going to be called the "Presidential Bahn".

I get the Presidential part, but not sure why they are using the German word for "train". Maybe because a gondola has cars like a train and an Austrian company is building the lift? Or could it be a variation on the cog railway over at Mt. Washington?

The NH tramway safety board approved the application to build the gondola at the August 20 meeting: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/firesafety/tramway/documents/8-20-2018Tramwayboardminutes.pdf.

The meeting minutes say that they presented a complete set of drawings for the gondola construction. Anyone know if those are online somewhere? I'm curious what the top terminal and Bethlehem crossover will be like.

No, no supplements documents are available online you'd need to go down to Concord or put in a request for them.