• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

VTKilarney

I'm happy sitting these few days out. There are plenty of other things I can do that will more enjoyable.

rocks860

Skied in minus 20 at sugarbush a few years ago, with plenty of layers it was survivable but definitely not pleasant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt1234

Skied in minus 20 at sugarbush a few years ago, with plenty of layers it was survivable but definitely not pleasant

-20 wind chill, or air temp?

Sounds awful either way.

rocks860

I believe it was -20 with wind chill but at points the wind picked up and it was even colder

Jully

-20 wind chill, or air temp?

Sounds awful either way.

I've found -20 due to mostly wind chill to be worse than a straight -20. I've skied in both and vastly prefer a colder actual temp with no wind versus the other way around.

tnt1234

Only saving grace for the weekend is, wind might be on the light side.

Was looking forward to hitting MRG friday, but we might start at SB since Friday looks colder than saturday (Sunday looks worse than both!). At least at SB you have HSQs and don't have to go all the way to the top to have some decent skiing. Castle rock chair is gonna be cold though. But better than the single I think.

bdfreetuna

Only saving grace for the weekend is, wind might be on the light side.

Was looking forward to hitting MRG friday, but we might start at SB since Friday looks colder than saturday (Sunday looks worse than both!). At least at SB you have HSQs and don't have to go all the way to the top to have some decent skiing. Castle rock chair is gonna be cold though. But better than the single I think.

Disagree based on the aspect of the Single Chair vs most Sugarbush lifts. Also HSQ can give you some wind chill on the way up.

Single chair you bundle up and enjoy your bad mood due to deep freeze as best you can, fully in tune with the brutality of nature and free from all of the rudeness of other people's thoughts, or as some call it, comradery.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Single chair you bundle up and enjoy your bad mood due to deep freeze as best you can, fully in tune with the brutality of nature and free from all of the rudeness of other people's thoughts, or as some call it, comradery.

Lmao pissing people off and/or or being pissed off on the chairlift is half the fun of skiing solo!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I'll be skiing tomorrow
4417e9216dd19dd92c2943e123524285.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I'll be skiing tomorrow
4417e9216dd19dd92c2943e123524285.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Looking at the forecast a few more days out, it appears that another reinforcing shot of cold air arrives post storm system on Saturday, with the core of that cold air, predicted currently to be even colder than tomorrow, to be on New Years Day... :eek: So happy I get to stand around at Bromley on Monday with a current predicted high of -3 before the wind kicks in, and watch both of my kids race/compete in what is annually the longest race day of the Southern VT Council U14 racing calendar.... NOT!!!! Brrr!!!

benski

Lmao pissing people off and/or or being pissed off on the chairlift is half the fun of skiing solo!

The other day at Zermatt, I got into an 8 person gondola with 7 other people and one of them objected. Wasn't sure I heard her correct so I got in anyway and she glared at me the whole way up.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Looking at the forecast a few more days out, it appears that another reinforcing shot of cold air arrives post storm system on Saturday, with the core of that cold air, predicted currently to be even colder than tomorrow, to be on New Years Day... :eek: So happy I get to stand around at Bromley on Monday with a current predicted high of -3 before the wind kicks in, and watch both of my kids race/compete in what is annually the longest race day of the Southern VT Council U14 racing calendar.... NOT!!!! Brrr!!!

Been there, done that. Like the Video above...Harden the F&ck up! :)

SIKSKIER

As has been posted,10 below and no wind with blue sky is just fine.Putting that face towards the sun on the ride back up makes all the difference imo.The wind just seems to suck the fun out of it for me.