• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saturday? Southern VT or Cats, where to avoid the worst of crowd?

abc

From a purely condition standpoint, you really cant go wrong with anywhere this weekend.
Yes, from condition standpoint.

But how long will the powder last? Minutes or hours? How long will I be stuck waiting in the lift maze?

And last, what kind of terrain. I'm not a snob. I enjoy lapping groomers when they're covered in powder. But a bit of variety won't hurt. Plus, some terrain that hasn't been open or rarely open in any year, would be bonus. Don't want to be too greedy. Just angling to optimize my odds (without going too overboard though).

Quietman

Last weekend was my one trip north this winter and we made it a retro Maine trip. Black mtn of ME was good, but only 4 runs open top to bottom. Ducked the ropes on others and had fun but was good reasons that they were closed. For a $20 lift ticket, we had a good time. SR was socked in with fog and frz rain in the am so we gladly ditched their $105 friday pass rate. Sat went to Mt Abram. Was pleasantly surprised at the coverage and grooming of the 4 snowmaking ways down the mtn, and the natural trails(including the t-bar line) were nice after they softened up(yes, another few ropes were ducked).

Both mountains should be great after the Wed/Thurs dump. Black is open Fri-Sun, Mt Abram is open Thurs-Sun. You will never have a lift wait at Black unless there is a local race and only an occasional wait at Mt Abram. Support these great smaller mountains!!! When the glades are in like they may be after this storm, both mountains can be a playground!!

tnt1234

This weekend will be first time in the condo. Decision to make..drive up friday night and be able to get the 7:30 chair or early saturday. I'm thinking Friday night..really like the 7:30 chair as it gives you 2 hours before the hoards show up.

Friday night >Bench for some Hill Farmstead>7:30 forerunner. This is always the correct answer.

tnt1234

Yes, from condition standpoint.

But how long will the powder last? Minutes or hours? How long will I be stuck waiting in the lift maze?

And last, what kind of terrain. I'm not a snob. I enjoy lapping groomers when they're covered in powder. But a bit of variety won't hurt. Plus, some terrain that hasn't been open or rarely open in any year, would be bonus. Don't want to be too greedy. Just angling to optimize my odds (without going too overboard though).

If you are sticking with your pass options, I would say Pico. Other wise, Magic or MRG? Honestly, Stowe isn't a bad choice - no matter how crowded it is, after the 10-12 crush, lines usually mellow out. That would fit your bill of 'rarely open terrain' because from what I hear, everything is on the verge - all woods, all trails - and this should put them over the top. Stowe at 100% is more terrain than you could possibly ski in a weekend. I'm going to MRG because I have 2 unused Mad card vouchers. Little afraid of the single chair line, but whatever....

By saturday I think everyone will be 100% in all respects. And everything will be tracked out. But it stays nice and cold up north, so conditions should be soft.

NYDB

Stratton was dead yesterday and basically no waits today. Plus they got 34inches. [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel XL using AlpineZone mobile app

Saturday might be a bit different, ya think?:blink:

I am still backing magic as the place to go sat especially if they get black up and running which they said they would know tonight and post the status online

bdfreetuna

Am I the only one thinking Middlebury Snow Bowl for tomorrow? (would finally have skied all VT ski areas)

Or Killington and duck the crowds in the trees.

BenedictGomez

Am I the only one thinking Middlebury Snow Bowl for tomorrow? (would finally have skied all VT ski areas)

Or Killington and duck the crowds in the trees.

MSB would probably be a brilliant idea for a Saturday that's predicted to be packed everywhere.

abc

Ended up going to Okemo because I was meeting people there for the evening.

Crowd weren’t bad at all. The longest I waited was 5 minuets.

Though at the end of day getting off the mountain took easily 1/2 hr!