• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Possibilities

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Not looking to good for Dealer B right now. He's $2K short of where he needs to be on trade-in/purchase price. Got a tip from a friend to go to the dealer that's closest to Volvo Cars of North America's HQ office building. They have a inventory of cars that have only been driven by company executives but carry full warranty because technically, they've never been sold.

NYDrew

The car is 3 years old...how can they not possible cover this????? You just encouraged me to never buy a Ford.

Anyway, my father has a Forester and loves it, its his second. I took it for a joy ride when he first got it and it was a dream, very tight on the road, actually takes some getting used to the control.

The old Forrester I drove a lot more. I took it once from Binghamton to Truxton (Cortland) in a ice storm, I never seen roads ice like that before, just a complete slick. Anyway, in the parking lot at work I tried to get the vehicle to lose control...I tried and tried but that legendary subaru AWD just would not let go of the road.

All in all....awesome vehicles. (my civic is also awesome, gas mileage competitive with those hybrids except it has a std tranny and a ton more fun)

From towing experience, the current wave of hybrids are nothing but trouble....I hate to say it but for now I think gas is still the best way to go. I mean I get 35 on the mountain roads in Vermont (40's if I treat her well on flat highway) and I don't have to sacrifice performance for it.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The car is 3 years old...how can they not possible cover this????? You just encouraged me to never buy a Ford.

Anyway, my father has a Forester and loves it, its his second. I took it for a joy ride when he first got it and it was a dream, very tight on the road, actually takes some getting used to the control.

The old Forrester I drove a lot more. I took it once from Binghamton to Truxton (Cortland) in a ice storm, I never seen roads ice like that before, just a complete slick. Anyway, in the parking lot at work I tried to get the vehicle to lose control...I tried and tried but that legendary subaru AWD just would not let go of the road.

All in all....awesome vehicles. (my civic is also awesome, gas mileage competitive with those hybrids except it has a std tranny and a ton more fun)
I'm less then thrilled that Ford isn't standing behind their product. I found out today that two more people have had the same problem with the battery water pump. That makes a total of 6 fleet vehicles now. Another guy needed to have some pretty major work done to the steering system and I heard about another where the rear drive-train disintegrated. I know the Escape has sold well the past 2-3 years, but there's probably not many of them pushing 60K in mileage and some problems seem to be showing up. Time for me to unload this car.

My brother has a 2001 Forester. He loves that thing. Does all his own maintenance on it as well. Brakes, axles, body panels.

My gave me co-worker one last chance today. He never called me back, so tomorrow I'm going to go to dealer A and put a deposit down on the 2010. It's around $80 a month less then what dealer B has to offer. Kinda sucks since dealer B is right in town and the other guy is about 15 miles away.

Last edited:

Philpug

If interested in a Volvo. Contact Frank Katen (Used Car Mgr) at Stillman Volvo in West Chester Pa. He is one of the few straight-forward honest people in the car business. Yeah, I said all that in one sentence.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks Phil. I gave dealer B (in town) one last chance today, but he wouldn't budge at all on the trade in and there was still a 3K delta in price. Here's the thing...the car I'm buying from dealer A, was originally shipped to (and on) dealer B's lot. It's actually the 1st car I looked at. When the 2011 came in, I told the guy of the two, I'd be more interested in the newer one. Dealer A didn't have any 2011's, but did the search and swap with them since it meet my basic requirements.. Even if dealer B matched the purchase price, he was still short $2K on my trade-in. I'm very happy with my decision.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

wa-loaf

Buy american

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/119995/article.html

A couple years old but very much relevant. Many domestic branded cars are produced overseas and many foreign branded cars are produced (and put people to work) in America. What is American? The brand, where the parts come from, or where the car is put together? No car is 100% "American" no more than anything you would purchase in a Best Buy.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=78936

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Buy american
I have an "American" car now and I think it's crap. Out of the 15 or so Ford Escapes my company bought in 2008, at least 8 of them have needed over $1K in service after 60K miles. Why would I consider buying another?? :dunce:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I have an "American" car now and I think it's crap. Out of the 15 or so Ford Escapes my company bought in 2008, at least 8 of them have needed over $1K in service after 60K miles. Why would I consider buying another?? :dunce:

Because if we all continue buying pieces of crap without regard for quality or value, surely that will provide the necessary motivation for manufacturers to make higher quality cars.

tjf67

I bought a Honda and needed new tires and Brakes after 20k miles. That was about 1k in expenses. I think people are critical of American car companies and less critical of foreign car companies. Just saying I understand where you are coming from but at some point we should start looking in our back yards and try to keep some money in the US. Most of us here are white collar workers. The home offices for the American companies are here and they employed a lot of people.

campgottagopee

I bought a Honda and needed new tires and Brakes after 20k miles. That was about 1k in expenses. I think people are critical of American car companies and less critical of foreign car companies. Just saying I understand where you are coming from but at some point we should start looking in our back yards and try to keep some money in the US. Most of us here are white collar workers. The home offices for the American companies are here and they employed a lot of people.

If that was a Subaru your brakes would've been covered under warranty, AND your tires would've been pro-rated......put that in your pipe and smoke it. :beer:

campgottagopee

If interested in a Volvo. Contact Frank Katen (Used Car Mgr) at Stillman Volvo in West Chester Pa. He is one of the few straight-forward honest people in the car business. Yeah, I said all that in one sentence.

Spoke like a guy who couldn't hack it in the car biz.....:-D

o3jeff

The original brake pads on Honda/Acura's are shit. Mine were shot when I traded the Acura in at 26k and know someone else who thru them pretty quick. And by no means did I beat on the car.

Geoff

The original brake pads on Honda/Acura's are shit. Mine were shot when I traded the Acura in at 26k and know someone else who thru them pretty quick. And by no means did I beat on the car.

And I'm sure you blew through the tires at 20K too. I get 20K out of Blizzaks. Those rock hard stock tires on a Jap econobox last for centuries.

I don't care how soft your brake pads are. If you're chewing through them in 20K miles, you probably either suck as a driver or are using your car as a toy.

o3jeff

And I'm sure you blew through the tires at 20K too. I get 20K out of Blizzaks. Those rock hard stock tires on a Jap econobox last for centuries.

I don't care how soft your brake pads are. If you're chewing through them in 20K miles, you probably either suck as a driver or are using your car as a toy.

Tires lasted fine, just the rear brakes
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/judge-approves-preliminary-settlement-of-honda-brake-suit/
I guess I just suck as a driver.