• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ride

o3jeff

We'll be sure to find you some jumps to try to test the assembly.

Have you figured out the shock and fork pressures or will that be the test for the next few rides trying to find the balance.

bvibert

Staff member
Sweet! Looks rad! Can't wait to check it out in person. I'm interested to see how you like those pedals compared to the ones with the platform like you have on your other bike.

Greg

Staff member
We'll be sure to find you some jumps to try to test the assembly.

Have you figured out the shock and fork pressures or will that be the test for the next few rides trying to find the balance.

Well, it was 90% assembled. Just had to put on the stem and bar (I think I got the headset right), the seat, pedals and front wheel. I also pumped the tires by feel since they are presta valves. Does anyone have a presta gauge they could bring tonight? I have one on order along with some tubes.

Yeah, I need to figure out the suspension pressure thing. At least it came with a shock pump. I also need to figure out how to adjust the brakes. They are okay, but have a lot of play at the moment. I seem to be getting that rubbing sound you had too, Jeff. Was that a simple adjustment? Oh Zinn, where are you? ;)

Sweet! Looks rad! Can't wait to check it out in person. I'm interested to see how you like those pedals compared to the ones with the platform like you have on your other bike.

We'll see. I put the new cleats on my shoes too, just because. The old ones were fine and will reside in my pack for now. I guess a cleat could work loose and pop off. Okay, maybe not, but it's better than tossing the old ones out. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Well, it was 90% assembled. Just had to put on the stem and bar (I think I got the headset right), the seat, pedals and front wheel. I also pumped the tires by feel since they are presta valves. Does anyone have a presta gauge they could bring tonight? I have one on order along with some tubes.

For the head set you want to tighten the bolt in the top cap (while the stem is just slightly loose) until the headset has no lateral play, but still turns freely. I have my floor pump in the car (always do), which has a gauge and works on both presta and schrader. You're welcome to use it anytime.

Yeah, I need to figure out the suspension pressure thing. At least it came with a shock pump. I also need to figure out how to adjust the brakes. They are okay, but have a lot of play at the moment. I seem to be getting that rubbing sound you had too, Jeff. Was that a simple adjustment? Oh Zinn, where are you? ;)

I don't know all that much about disk brakes, but if the rubbing noise is constant then you might need to center your caliper. If it's intermittent then you may have a slightly bent rotor, which would need to be straightened to get rid of the noise. AFAIK there's not much else for adjustment on hydraulic brakes.

We'll see. I put the new cleats on my shoes too, just because. The old ones were fine and will reside in my pack for now. I guess a cleat could work loose and pop off. Okay, maybe not, but it's better than tossing the old ones out. ;)

Actually, from my understanding, it's not all that uncommon for a cleat screw to come out during a ride. I've heard of several people who carry spare cleat screws in their pack just in case.

Greg

Staff member
For the head set you want to tighten the bolt in the top cap (while the stem is just slightly loose) until the headset has no lateral play, but still turns freely. I have my floor pump in the car (always do), which has a gauge and works on both presta and schrader. You're welcome to use it anytime.

The thing about the top cap bolt was I kept tightening it without disrupting turning. The headset had no play so I just kinda assume it's okay. It's tricky to check for headset play with the fork, grippy new brakes, etc. It seems snug with the wheel straight and turned to the side so I think I'm good.

Thanks for the pump offer.

I don't know all that much about disk brakes, but if the rubbing noise is constant then you might need to center your caliper. If it's intermittent then you may have a slightly bent rotor, which would need to be straightened to get rid of the noise. AFAIK there's not much else for adjustment on hydraulic brakes.

It's that constant rub like Jeff had so I think it's just an adjustment thing. I will have a lot of fiddling to do to tweak the fit and as cables stretch, etc.

Actually, from my understanding, it's not all that uncommon for a cleat screw to come out during a ride. I've heard of several people who carry spare cleat screws in their pack just in case.

I thought I read about that happening on Crankfire once and someone had an extra cleat so I figure it can't hurt to carry some, especially since most of us ride SPDs. Not that it would keep you from getting out, but still...

bvibert

Staff member
BTW, that top bolt shouldn't just keep turning, if it is you may have a problem with the star fangled nut inside of your steerer tube. The bolt could be stripped, the threaded part could be spinning, or the whole thing could be coming up the tube. Either way I'd want to find out and fix it.

MR. evil

Sweet ride you got there Greg. With any luck for us the extra weight will slow you down a bit ;-) If your shock pump is not that large I would carry it along in your back pack for a few rides until you get the suspension dialed in.

And like I say to everyone else, rip off that large front chain ring and get a bash guard.

Greg

Staff member
BTW, that top bolt shouldn't just keep turning, if it is you may have a problem with the star fangled nut inside of your steerer tube. The bolt could be stripped, the threaded part could be spinning, or the whole thing could be coming up the tube. Either way I'd want to find out and fix it.

So I should just turn it until it stops turning? I didn't want to over-tighten.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You guys are funny. All new bikes, all new clipless pedals, all new shoes for the pedals... you guys go all out! ;)

Nice ride, Greg! :beer:

MR. evil

Between Brian and I, we should be able to get the head set adjusted when we meet up tonight.

bvibert

Staff member
Between Brian and I, we should be able to get the head set adjusted when we meet up tonight.

That's what I was thinking.

You shouldn't turn it until it stops, but it should get tighter and the headset should tighten up. Be careful, because it's possible to tighten it up too much.

EDIT- I just saw that you have a sealed cartridge bearing headset, I don't think there's any adjustment for them, IIRC??

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

I'd be surprised if the star nut threads were stripped. The tabs usually break off before there's enough force to strip threads (I've seen, or heard rather, that happen).

Your headset would be noticeably loose is there was something wrong with the start nut. Just keep checking the headset by locking the front brakes and trying to roll the front of the bike back and forth for the first month or so. Remember to always loosen the stem clamp bolts before adjusting the headset bolt.

And make sure you're looking for headset play when you lock your brakes and roll it around too. Some poeple will mistake fork flex or fork compression for headset play.

o3jeff

He tested it pretty good last night when he went over the bars and it didn't seem to move, best part was after he went OTB the bike came back and landed on him just to spite him!

MR. evil

I'd be surprised if the star nut threads were stripped. The tabs usually break off before there's enough force to strip threads (I've seen, or heard rather, that happen).

Your headset would be noticeably loose is there was something wrong with the start nut. Just keep checking the headset by locking the front brakes and trying to roll the front of the bike back and forth for the first month or so. Remember to always loosen the stem clamp bolts before adjusting the headset bolt.

And make sure you're looking for headset play when you lock your brakes and roll it around too. Some poeple will mistake fork flex or fork compression for headset play.

Brian and I checked it out before the ride and the headset seemed fine to both of us. There was no play that I could feel. If Brian and I were not there Greg may have blown out his new fork. We are all on our bike ready to ride and I ask Greg what pressure he has his fork set at. He gives me a look. I ask if he put in any air at all.......nope. So we break out the shock pump to see what it has for PSI. His brand spanking new air sprung fork has zero PSI for pressure :-o

Greg

Staff member
Brian and I checked it out before the ride and the headset seemed fine to both of us. There was no play that I could feel. If Brian and I were not there Greg may have blown out his new fork. We are all on our bike ready to ride and I ask Greg what pressure he has his fork set at. He gives me a look. I ask if he put in any air at all.......nope. So we break out the shock pump to see what it has for PSI. His brand spanking new air sprung fork has zero PSI for pressure :-o

Newb alert!

Thanks again for your assistance, guys... :oops:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Yeah, typically they're not pressurized at the factory so they don't risk a blow out because of high temperatures in the back of a UPS truck or something.