• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter AZ Gathering - 12/14/2007

MRGisevil

It was really a fun day. My back was shot by 2:30, but I had a blast right up until then. Was nice to meet everyone and get to ski with some of you. What a great mountain that is. Thanks for all of the advice, Jim. Once I can move again I'll get out there and start applying it ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
"The mountain picked up about 8" of snow from the storm that seemed to settle and set up a bit overnight. Still great skiing. Run of the day for me was Minya."

Tell me more about the snow conditions. This is all I can find.

Uh Brian. Wheres that video of Shea skiing down Minya Konka? It says you got it. Where is it or have you not posted it yet and are working on it? Let me know.

Greg

Staff member
"The mountain picked up about 8" of snow from the storm that seemed to settle and set up a bit overnight. Still great skiing. Run of the day for me was Minya."

Tell me more about the snow conditions. This is all I can find.

Around 8" of surprisingly wet and sticky powder. It seemed to dry out as the day when on and it got slightly less humid than it was first thing in the moring. Perfect soft bump building snow. The manmade base on Minya was great, nice and edgeable. The base on a trail like Cliff was slick and more granular. Overall a very nice surface.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Uh Brian. Wheres that video of Shea skiing down Minya Konka? It says you got it. Where is it or have you not posted it yet and are working on it? Let me know.
Brian has been running nonstop for a few days now. He'll get it up when he's actually home. :lol: Seriously... I haven't seen much of him since Wed. And he's at work at Sundown right now. I bet he'll have it up tonight, if our littlest one cooperates.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Most guys wouldn't appreciate the reference "littest one", gee no wonder he said that he's not letting you out this year :lol:
:roll: Men! Always thinking with/about the little brain, eh? ;)

He hardly has a choice about "letting" me out this year. There's no stopping me!

Eski

see, our little hill is not so shabby and those that have been there before know this ... glad the newbies got a taste of the place we love ... couldn't find an AZ soul in the lodge at days end, but I drank in your honor for a job well done

JimG.

Staff member
Around 8" of surprisingly wet and sticky powder. It seemed to dry out as the day when on and it got slightly less humid than it was first thing in the moring. Perfect soft bump building snow. The manmade base on Minya was great, nice and edgeable. The base on a trail like Cliff was slick and more granular. Overall a very nice surface.

That's the way it was yesterday...on Thursday it looked alot like your day Friday Bill. Thursday was cold, yesterday the temp got up near 32 and the snow got compacted a bit.

Lot's of fresh snow all day on Thursday. Sorry, no pics.

ta&idaho

Great day yesterday. I had a blast meeting and skiing with everyone. AZ has some incredible skiers (plus at least one rider). I'm definitely in for the next one of these...

Ta&idaho did you find your helmet?

Oh, and yeah, I found my helmet--thanks!

kingslug

Great day, best of the season yet. It's fun followint JimG around as I'm really trying to get my bumping up to speed. And very glad he showed us the cut in to the middle of Clairs, didn't get to ski it much last season. And thankfully my sister in-law didn't kill herself on that fall, clean up in aisle 3! Now I hope it dumps so more so I can get up there again Monday, hopefully without the 4 hour return trip.

awf170

Fun morning for me. The afternoon on the other hand...

After lunch I started to feel wicked sick and tired, but figured I could ski it off, that didn't work out too well. By the last few runs it was a struggle for me to link 5 turns together without being completely exhausted. Before leaving I left a nice puddle of puke in one of the drop of parking spots.

Not trying to make up excuses but that horrible wipeout was completely because of how crappy I felt. I was too tired to turn, so I got way too much speed, then didn't have enough energy to recover after becoming off balance. Probably my worst wipeout ever. I really hope someone caught it on video though...

koreshot

Fun morning for me. The afternoon on the other hand...

After lunch I started to feel wicked sick and tired, but figured I could ski it off, that didn't work out too well. By the last few runs it was a struggle for me to link 5 turns together without being completely exhausted. Before leaving I left a nice puddle of puke in one of the drop of parking spots.

Not trying to make up excuses but that horrible wipeout was completely because of how crappy I felt. I was too tired to turn, so I got way too much speed, then didn't have enough energy to recover after becoming off balance. Probably my worst wipeout ever. I really hope someone caught it on video though...

Wow... you were starting too look a bit pale over lunch, but I attributed that to the topics being discussed by Marc and Justin. Maybe that $3 hotdog was the issue?

I hope this is lesson learned for you... stop skiing so fast and try to stay in control. :oops:

Greg

Staff member
Bummer Austin. Hope you're feeling better today.

o3jeff

Brian has been running nonstop for a few days now. He'll get it up when he's actually home. :lol: Seriously... I haven't seen much of him since Wed. And he's at work at Sundown right now. I bet he'll have it up tonight, if our littlest one cooperates.

Call him and tell him to get more lifts going over there!;-) I just got back from Sundown and the place was getting packed and they were only running one triple.

2knees

Call him and tell him to get more lifts going over there!;-) I just got back from Sundown and the place was getting packed and they were only running one triple.

how was it? did they groom it out completely or leave any trails alone

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Oh gosh, don't tell me that! I have to be there at 6PM for my shift! :-o

They may not have the other triple running because Gunbarrel isn't open yet. I'll ask when he gets home.... his shift ended at 3PM.

krisskis

Here are a few pictures of the group at the 5 fingers tower...that was the last time we were all together and the last pics i took. Waiting on wipeout video to be approved on YouTube.... :)