• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chile, Valle Nevado. July 30-Aug 1

dlague

Same here but what is wrong with crawling out of the bar! Oh wait you were talking about the cliffs? Crawling counts there too!

skiNEwhere

I don't know if you count your ski days or not, but if you do, do you mark this as a day during the 13-14 season or 14-15 season?

Cannonball

I don't know if you count your ski days or not, but if you do, do you mark this as a day during the 13-14 season or 14-15 season?

I do count 'em. I definitely count these days as part of the 2013-2014 season. I haven't missed a month since October, so it feels much more like the continuation of the season rather than the start of the next. Also, I still haven't washed any of my gear since last fall so the season can't be over right?

For the record, these days put me at 48 days for the season. Still shy of my 50 day goal.

MadMadWorld

Glad you had a good time! Did she get sick on the bus? Smart move getting a front seat. Did you get a pass so you could check out La Parva and El Colorado? I forgot to mention the dogs on the mountain! They can smell Gringos from a mile away. We took one of the surface lifts and a couple ran up the mountain right next to us hamming it up the whole way. It was clearly not there first rodeo.

Valparaiso is indeed wild. It's like Miami meets Rio. There are some gorgeous mansions but then you also have shanty houses stacked on top of one another on a hill side.

Attachments

• 1408023754404.jpg
    1408023754404.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 68

Cannonball

Glad you had a good time! Did she get sick on the bus? Smart move getting a front seat. Did you get a pass so you could check out La Parva and El Colorado? I forgot to mention the dogs on the mountain! They can smell Gringos from a mile away. We took one of the surface lifts and a couple ran up the mountain right next to us hamming it up the whole way. It was clearly not there first rodeo.

No, she survived the ride!! Can't say the same for some others :puke: . Unfortunately conditions weren't really conducive to doing the interconnects. The first day cover was so thin some of the connections were closed. The 2nd day was so socked in we were leery of heading off into the abyss. The 3rd day we just wanted to maximize the POW! Also, she wasn't thrilled about all the surface lifts. I'll suck it up for them, but they do honestly suck on a board. Especially with dogs chasing you!! (we saw that too).

Valparaiso is indeed wild. It's like Miami meets Rio. There are some gorgeous mansions but then you also have shanty houses stacked on top of one another on a hill side.
I was thinking New Orleans meets Venice meets San Francisco. They had a huge fire there a few weeks before we showed up. Really horrible situation. Between the narrow roads, the steep hills, and piled-on houses there was no way to fight the fire and it just tore through a huge neighborhood.

MadMadWorld

No, she survived the ride!! Can't say the same for some others :puke: . Unfortunately conditions weren't really conducive to doing the interconnects. The first day cover was so thin some of the connections were closed. The 2nd day was so socked in we were leery of heading off into the abyss. The 3rd day we just wanted to maximize the POW! Also, she wasn't thrilled about all the surface lifts. I'll suck it up for them, but they do honestly suck on a board. Especially with dogs chasing you!! (we saw that too).

I was thinking New Orleans meets Venice meets San Francisco. They had a huge fire there a few weeks before we showed up. Really horrible situation. Between the narrow roads, the steep hills, and piled-on houses there was no way to fight the fire and it just tore through a huge neighborhood.

Did you get to ride a FUNicular? We stayed at a hotel in Valparaiso and it had one but something would happen every time we rode it and we would get stuck. The motor was on the roof so the poor guy at the front desk had to run up 8 floors every time to get it going again. I can't imagine how many times a day he had to do this.....sorry for the hijack

Cannonball

Did you get to ride a FUNicular? We stayed at a hotel in Valparaiso and it had one but something would happen every time we rode it and we would get stuck. The motor was on the roof so the poor guy at the front desk had to run up 8 floors every time to get it going again. I can't imagine how many times a day he had to do this.....sorry for the hijack

Yeah, we rode one. But we clearly missed the point because we walked up the hill then rode it down. One of those would work well for the Cannon-Lafayette interconnect.

attachment.php

Attachments

• NCM.jpg
    NCM.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 115

MadMadWorld

Yeah, we rode one. But we clearly missed the point because we walked up the hill then rode it down. One of those would work well for the Cannon-Lafayette interconnect.

attachment.php

Yea we rode that same one. Funicular would be great for the interconnect. You think they make any high speed detachable ones?

skiNEwhere

Pic from Valle Nevado's fb page. Guess they've gotten a couple big storms recently. Do face shots feel different in the southern hemisphere?

attachment.php

Attachments

• vn.jpg
    vn.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 106