• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow East Magazine Reader Choice Out

Edd

The lists have some head shakers, of course. I like Rangley but I find it hard to believe that it would receive more votes than North Conway. To get that result you'd have to only poll people north of Portland....but then there's Lake Placid at #1.

whitemtn27

Sunday River best Grooming/snowmaking, thoughts?

I think first to open is good for some snowmaking props. I don't know if they deserve #1.

Not my favorite mountain, but I would have put Stratton in at least the top 5 for that. The difference between how beat up that place is at the end of the day and first turns the next morning is miraculous.

However, I bet Stratton's perceived quality is lower exactly because it does get so worn out on busy days.

jrmagic

Butternut as the #1 favorite under 1100 feet and #2 in Classic Ski resort:confused:

I have nothing against the place but c'mon now... It would be intersting to see where the pollsters came from....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Butternut as the #1 favorite under 1100 feet and #2 in Classic Ski resort:confused:

I have nothing against the place but c'mon now... It would be intersting to see where the pollsters came from....

We can solve this problem. When the survey opens this year, we post notice right here and flood the responses. 8)

Geoff

Sunday River best Grooming/snowmaking, thoughts?

In terms of capacity, it's #2 in snowmaking. In my rather limited experience, the quality control is good with few wet guns. #1 to open in October buys you a ton of votes.

I would have thought Okemo was a clear #1 in grooming based on reputation. I suspect that as they've gained skier visits, the place gets more beat up from all the traffic and Saturday/Holiday afternoons aren't what they used to be. When I lived in Portsmouth, NH, I'd grab a weekend day at Sunday River rather than go to Killington when I knew Killington was going to be lousy. I thought they did a much better job grooming after ice storms and such. Part of that is that Sunday River has much more intermediate terrain so the people get spread out more than at KMart.

HowieT2

These ski magazine "surveys" are always skewed but this one is remarkably incomprehensible. they must have taken all 10 of the magazines readers, gotten them drunk and taken out the advertisers dart board. GB the top ski town? embarrassing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
These ski magazine "surveys" are always skewed but this one is remarkably incomprehensible. they must have taken all 10 of the magazines readers, gotten them drunk and taken out the advertisers dart board. GB the top ski town? embarrassing.
After my club meeting on wednesday, they now have 70 readers ;) things are gonna change next year! :cool:

SKITODIE

Website
www.saranaclakeinn.com

Agreed! They get a few things on in the mag's and the rest is questionable. Suprised not to see Jay either.

madskier6

Great Barrington???????? What are you going to ski there? Otis Ridge? Granted, Catamount and Jiminey are close by too.

Just who do they survey?????

I totally agree with your point. Great Barrington is not a ski town. But Butternut is right there on the outskirts of town. Still a ridiculous conclusion.

Edd

Just who do they survey?????

That's the real question. Previous comments comparing the lists to throwing darts at a board make a point.

All of these annual lists are highly subjective anyway but you can usually identify a pattern in them that implies a certain logic. In other words, you can tell which demographic is responding to these surveys. Not the case here.