• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs Off Map

mccleaks

I'll preface this by saying that I know this isn't something any of us really like to discuss in detail out in the open on the internet. But I'm headed to Smuggs this weekend, there could be a foot of new snow between now and then, I have only skied there once before, and I'm curious if there is any good off map skiing I should be on the look out for? You dont need to draw me a map and post it here for the world to see or anything, but knowing if it is worth while to be on the lookout for and ask locals about would be nice. I remember finding some decent marked tree runs on my one other trip there, but with mid-week snow coming in this week I figure Saturday might be a good day to move off the map if that sort of thing exists there. Any warnings about directions not to try for fear of dying alone in the woods would be great. Private messages also accepted if you really want to be cool about it. Cheers

NYDB

If you haven't done so already, check out the strava heatmap. I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg, but its a start

djspookman

Yup, there's a LOT of stuff off map there. More off than on; I grew up there. Will not share on the net though, as most people won't either. More of a show and go thing. Be careful though, there are many woods runs that require mandatory drops or sketchy ways out! :)

mccleaks

I've been able to find a bit of information and I see that there really are a fair amount of options. Dont love hearing about mandatory drops and sketchy ways out though. I'm skiing solo on Friday. So I'll try and talk up some locals on the lift and hopefully find myself a tour guide.
Yup, there's a LOT of stuff off map there. More off than on; I grew up there. Will not share on the net though, as most people won't either. More of a show and go thing. Be careful though, there are many woods runs that require mandatory drops or sketchy ways out! :)

BenedictGomez

There's more easily accessible, great, off-map woods at Smuggs than any other eastern resort that I'm aware of.

Jersey Skier

If you haven't done so already, check out the strava heatmap. I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg, but its a start

Great tip. Never realized people use Strava for DH skiing. This should keep me from working this morning.

KustyTheKlown

i don't think anything i'm about to type is secret:

- take sterling chair, go past the bullwheel, cut into the woods on your left, follow well trodden path, you will pass a lean to, eventually you'll wind up on a nice chutes that lead down to shuttle. continue past shuttle to stay in nice woods.

- take sterling chair, go right off chair, make the first left and go under rope, traverse over the edge of the pond to a well trodden boot pack. various entrances to the back bowls.

- take sterling chair. ski snake bite about 1/3 down the vertical, there will be a woods entrance on your left. dont know what they call this, but its a series of 3-6 foot cliff drops in nice woods that lead down to 108

- take madonna and get off to your left. ride the groomer, but pop a hard left and duck the rope and traverse out to the very top of FIS, which isn't on the map. its a short but steep hit that drops you onto the regular entrance to FIS

- take madonna and get off to your left. ride the groomer all the way to the intersection with catwalk. go directly behind the trail signs and there is a very steep and technical chute. don't recall what its called. its very steep and can get skied off rather fast.

- take madonna and get off to your right. take drifter almost all the way to where you'd access red fox glades. at the last big turn in drifter which would take you back towards liftline, there will be an entrance to the woods at the corner, skier's left. excellent gladed terrain all the way down.

- the woods skier's left of FIS, between FIS and freefall.

smuggs skied tremendously on saturday. it will be great this weekend.

BlueBoy74

i don't think anything i'm about to type is secret:

- take sterling chair, go past the bullwheel, cut into the woods on your left, follow well trodden path, you will pass a lean to, eventually you'll wind up on a nice chutes that lead down to shuttle. continue past shuttle to stay in nice woods.

- take sterling chair, go right off chair, make the first left and go under rope, traverse over the edge of the pond to a well trodden boot pack. various entrances to the back bowls.

- take sterling chair. ski snake bite about 1/3 down the vertical, there will be a woods entrance on your left. dont know what they call this, but its a series of 3-6 foot cliff drops in nice woods that lead down to 108

- take madonna and get off to your left. ride the groomer, but pop a hard left and duck the rope and traverse out to the very top of FIS, which isn't on the map. its a short but steep hit that drops you onto the regular entrance to FIS

- take madonna and get off to your left. ride the groomer all the way to the intersection with catwalk. go directly behind the trail signs and there is a very steep and technical chute. don't recall what its called. its very steep and can get skied off rather fast.

- take madonna and get off to your right. take drifter almost all the way to where you'd access red fox glades. at the last big turn in drifter which would take you back towards liftline, there will be an entrance to the woods at the corner, skier's left. excellent gladed terrain all the way down.

- the woods skier's left of FIS, between FIS and freefall.

smuggs skied tremendously on saturday. it will be great this weekend.

What a dooooooooooooooooooouche-nozzle.