• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski areas still open

chuckstah

I skied the morning shift today. It's getting thin in spots, especially on the headwall where rocks are coming through, but overall it's great cover for May 27. Next weekend should be a go, at least for one day. I would expect walk on/walk off the snow. IMG_20190527_100915929.jpgIMG_20190527_103316418.jpgIMG_20190527_103402199.jpgIMG_20190527_105922403.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

I'd say there's a 99% chance they open next weekend. Best Memorial Day coverage I've ever seen there in years. Looks like they even have enough stockpiled to make it skiable top to bottom other than at the top and bottom of the lift.

Smellytele

True, but they have snow above and below the probem area to work with. Probably best if they do it tonight, freeze warnings up for tonight in North Country.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Don’t spread it out until they have to. Do it now and it will just melt out before next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

So much snow at A Basin - everything still open except Steep Gullies and the beginner lift.

Nice thing - not a lot of people. Lots of foreigners including China’s mogul and race teams.

Crunchy first thing but was very nice late morning into afternoon.

Generally a pond starts to show about midway down that people pond skim but that is nowhere in sight.

IMG_1432.jpg
East wall from West Wall

IMG_1433.jpg
Lenawee

IMG_1430.jpg
Pali Face

Skied East Wall and Pali Face in the afternoon once it softened up. Stoke for the day - it was snowing when we left and there is more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Agreed. I'd only patch it the morning before opening.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
You could do that, but it always winds up a muddy mess when they do that. They have a very cold night coming up tonight, which will allow the snow to firm up at the least, maybe freeze solid, which would allow for a better push and groom. We'll see how they play it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

The base today was solid World Cup ice. Don't touch that. If they want to push the snow from nooks and crannies on the edges into piles to ride out the week, fine. I think K knows how to handle the glacier, finally.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
You could do that, but it always winds up a muddy mess when they do that. They have a very cold night coming up tonight, which will allow the snow to firm up at the least, maybe freeze solid, which would allow for a better push and groom. We'll see how they play it.

I guess my thought is that it's Monday night. Whatever they push around to patch holes will just melt by end of day tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

It still will be thin and will likely melt by the weekend if they do that. This time of year you have melting from above and below, so best to retain snow volume as long as possible. From my experience it's best to push out closer to when it's needed since they are just a stop gap not a long term repair.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not east coast, but Aspen just announced they are going one more weekend at Ajax.

Snowbird is still solid.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Dont they know June 1st is a Saturday?

I wondered why they were doing that.....perhaps they are doing Saturday to be safe (?)

Superstar Express Quad will spin 9am-5pm Friday, May 31 and 8am-5pm Saturday and Sunday, June 1 and 2. Lift tickets will be $30* for all ages each day.

Complimentary commemorative t-shirts will be available to the first 500 guests to load Superstar Express on June 1, and the Roaring Brook Umbrella Bar will feature live music by DJ Dave, free Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream for about 500 people starting at 3pm and an outdoor grill.

https://www.killington.com/the-mountain/conditions-weather/current-conditions-weather