• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/16/08 (Bump or Bust Mogul Competition)

wa-loaf

Good stuff, the moguls at the top there were pretty gnarly looking. Nice job everyone!

Kudos to everyone involved. After watching the video it's obvious that the left line was much faster becasue of the turn. That needs to be addressed next year. Tele guy was fast however, but he didn't always turn. Mogul judging is always subject to discussion. I have had my share of questions on the mogul judging over the years. If we don't like it than we should go to the Nastar course.

MR. evil

Kudos to everyone involved. After watching the video it's obvious that the left line was much faster becasue of the turn. That needs to be addressed next year. Tele guy was fast however, but he didn't always turn. Mogul judging is always subject to discussion. I have had my share of questions on the mogul judging over the years. If we don't like it than we should go to the Nastar course.

The left line was faster all around. Up top the line was more direct and the troughs were not as deep or chewed up. Below the kicker there were really no bumps to speak of on the left line. You can see in all of the 2 man races that the skiers on the left was always able to straight line it at the bottom while the skier on the right still had to make turns.

Johnypoach's race with Nigel was close, but IMO he should have won simply for jumping over him at the bottom of the course. That was awsome!

bvibert

Staff member
Great day! So glad I competed, so much fun! Thanks for the videos, they both really captured the day well. I felt like I skied well, but clearly didn't do much in the air department. Definitely something to work on for next year...

Paul

Looks like a great time, too bad I had other obligations, would've been fun to just hang-out and be a part of things.

2knees

The left line was faster all around. Up top the line was more direct and the troughs were not as deep or chewed up. Below the kicker there were really no bumps to speak of on the left line. You can see in all of the 2 man races that the skiers on the left was always able to straight line it at the bottom while the skier on the right still had to make turns.

Johnypoach's race with Nigel was close, but IMO he should have won simply for jumping over him at the bottom of the course. That was awsome!

the left line may have been faster but it also had a big ass sheet of ice for an approach to the kicker. I totally preferred the right side and thought the line approaching was far better, and more fun.

Of course i say this cause i got eliminated skiing the left line. :wink:

I stayed even with madskier with him on the left and me on the right so i dont think the right side was that much of a disadvantage speed wise.

MR. evil

but clearly didn't do much in the air department. Definitely something to work on for next year...

Same here! I am just happy with myself for going off that thing. I think I took about 4 practice runs down the course before I worked up the nearve to hit that kicker. On my first attempt I had way to much speed and landed too far down hill. When it came time to race all I could think about was to not build up to much speed into the kicker and I ended up sking REALLY slow. But I had a great time and I am just happy that I entered. I had a blast hanging out on top of the hill with eveyone and watching the runs. It was a really good vibe up.

MR. evil

I stayed even with madskier with him on the left and me on the right so i dont think the right side was that much of a disadvantage speed wise.

Well you are the exception, you are a freakin bullet:-o

I was shocked to see how far down you landed after the kicker in your race with MrMagic. It looks like you landed on the bumps.

bvibert

Staff member
One thing that stands out though is it looks like those on the skier's left course definitely had an advantage with a somewhat shorter course due to the curve in the trail.

The left line was faster. Aside from the curve in the trail, the bumps were smaller with much shallower troughs in both the top and bottom sections. The thing that I found kind of odd is that there was no defined finish line...

2knees

The thing that I found kind of odd is that there was no defined finish line...

I'll be totally honest here, i was upset for a while yesterday cause i thought i crashed after the spot they originally deemed the finish line. I bitched to Jeff for a while. Sorry bro. i just got caught up in the wrong attitude.

but then i remembered what jarrod kept telling us. this was for fun and anyone taking it too seriously was going to be DQ'd.

MrMagic

The left line was faster. Aside from the curve in the trail, the bumps were smaller with much shallower troughs in both the top and bottom sections. The thing that I found kind of odd is that there was no defined finish line...

very true, thu' that left side kicker shot you way way out, i thought it was a harder landing than the right side kicker

jack97

Good stuff!

But, FIS rules are that the leg should be held together during the turns. Nigel the rippin tele guy had great turns; trying to compare free heel to lock heel turns is nite and day.

MR. evil

very true, thu' that left side kicker shot you way way out, i thought it was a harder landing than the right side kicker

Agreed! The left side kicker luanched you out while the right side was more up. I much prefered the right side kicker, but I was not able to get down the right side clean in any of my practice runs. There was one really deep trough with a nasty wall that kept knocking me on my butt. Then again on my second run heads up with MrMagic I crossed my tips and feel around the 2nd or 3rd bump from the top:oops:

Greg

Staff member
It's actually a bit more complicated thatn that. Here's the rulebook on falling/turns:

turn_score1.jpg

turn_score2.jpg

Good stuff!

But, FIS rules are that the leg should be held together during the turns. Nigel the rippin tele guy had great turns; trying to compare free heel to lock heel turns is nite and day.

All right guys.....ease up a bit. This was not some FIS WC event. Geez.... :roll:

Greg

Staff member
Good stuff, the moguls at the top there were pretty gnarly looking. Nice job everyone!

They were. The left skier's right was deep, but more consistent. Like I said, there was no faking it up there.

Mogul judging is always subject to discussion. I have had my share of questions on the mogul judging over the years. If we don't like it than we should go to the Nastar course.

Well said!

Great day! So glad I competed, so much fun! Thanks for the videos, they both really captured the day well. I felt like I skied well, but clearly didn't do much in the air department. Definitely something to work on for next year...

I really thought your and madskier's heat was one of the most enjoyable of the early duels. Randi's vid captured it well. You guys were neck and neck and hit the kicker at the same time. You should be proud that you did so well against such a good skier as Jeff. Two years ago you wouldn't have even thought about skiing bumps like that, not to mention taking air in the middle of it! Nice job B!

I'll be totally honest here, i was upset for a while yesterday cause i thought i crashed after the spot they originally deemed the finish line. I bitched to Jeff for a while. Sorry bro. i just got caught up in the wrong attitude.

but then i remembered what jarrod kept telling us. this was for fun and anyone taking it too seriously was going to be DQ'd.

A finish line would have helped. When I heard Pat fell, we weren't sure whether he crossed the finish yet (I didn't see it live). From the video it looks like he fell short of that flat slushy area where most of us were stopping so I think that ruling was fair.

2knees

From the video it looks like he fell short of that flat slushy area where most of us were stopping so I think that ruling was fair.

I couldnt agree more. Like i said, i was upset for a while but my competitive side had kicked in and i wasnt really dealing with it rationally.

It was so much fun. the only downside for me is dealing with my knee. I just hope it gets to the point where i can ski friday. Right now, i think thursday and friday is too much to ask of it.

bvibert

Staff member
I really thought your and madskier's heat was one of the most enjoyable of the early duels. Randi's vid captured it well. You guys were neck and neck and hit the kicker at the same time. You should be proud that you did so well against such a good skier as Jeff. Two years ago you wouldn't have even thought about skiing bumps like that, not to mention taking air in the middle of it! Nice job B!

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I was happy that I did as good as I did against Jeff, someone who I consider a much better skier than me. I wish the video showed a bit more of our run after the kickers...