• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush AlpineZone Day: Friday, 3/21/08

Does Good Friday, March 21, 2008, work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Looking at the latest weather forecasts, I am no more than 50/50 on Bush this Friday. We'll see what happens but total accumulations following the rain don't look that high for the MRV, especially compared to Jay. Will report back with a definite call Thursday night once we start seeing some accumulation totals being posted.

Grassi21

I'm thinking the Smokehouse. They have a good selection of beers. Purple moon is a bit closer to GL, though.

We can play it by ear. I'll PM you my cell #. I might night need too many beers after stepping into my own personal smokehouse. ;-)

Greg

Staff member
Looking at the latest weather forecasts, I am no more than 50/50 on Bush this Friday. We'll see what happens but total accumulations following the rain don't look that high for the MRV, especially compared to Jay. Will report back with a definite call Thursday night once we start seeing some accumulation totals being posted.

Dust on crust, baby! Come on Steve - I'm driving almost 250 miles to make the gathering. The skier in me would rather drive the 20 miles to Sundown and ski spring bumps there on Friday, but I'm going to head to the MRV for the camaraderie. You can sacrifice one powder day to ski with us hacks, no?

mlctvt

Looks like I'm out.
Not because of the weather, just my f** ing job. I have to attend a meeting and resolve some new issues. I had to cancel my reservations at the Golden Lion so maybe that opens a room for someone else? Have fun guys, maybe I'll meet some of you at the Mount Snow closing day get together.

Greg

Staff member
Upslope, baby!

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2008/03/fridays-our-best-shot-for-powder-day.html

The NAO did its best and our midweek storm is now indicated to track over southern Vermont as opposed to the St Lawrence Valley. Still, we have the glaring lack of fresh cold air on the front flank of this system and this will hurt us as far as Wednesday is concerned. As advertised, the storm will slow its eastward progress over Nova Scotia and this will allow for the extended period of enhanced TIS activity I was hoping for.

The specifics
After a few inches of wet snow early Wednesday, we get a period mixed sleet and rain which will persist into the evening. After that the precipitation becomes more showery (in the form of rain) until the passage of the storms associated front and the arrival of our long awaited supply of cold. The snow showers will intensify gradually and temperatures will become cold enough during the evening for an accumulation of powder. It is easy to land yourself way off course when trying to predict amounts in these situations but my best guess is anywhere from 4 to 10 inches between late Thursday and late Friday. Low level instability is actually indicated to linger through the weekend although the depth of the unstable layer is expected to gradually decrease. This essentially means the snow showers will become less frequent and will be less intense. Still, we could see flurries all the way through Sunday.

An unexpected powder day, perhaps?

MRGisevil

Timmy and I are chewing on the idea of heading up to Sugarbush this Saturday for a day trip, since we can't make Friday. Anyone going to be around still?

madskier6

Timmy and I are chewing on the idea of heading up to Sugarbush this Saturday for a day trip, since we can't make Friday. Anyone going to be around still?

I'll be at Stowe on Saturday with the family for the $38 ticket deal for CSC members. Did you consider hitting Stowe?

bvibert

Staff member
I originally planning on staying to Saturday, but that's not in the cards anymore. I'll be leaving Friday sometime after skiing...

Joey from Jersey

As a lurker would I be entitled to this offer from the Bush?

Actually I will be arriving early afternoon on Good Friday and will look forward to skiing Saturday & Sunday. Maybe next year.

Greg

Staff member
I propose a meet-up of 11 am at the base of Heaven's Gate.

reefer

HG Base 11:00am

I propose a meet-up of 11 am at the base of Heaven's Gate.

11:00am, bottom of heaven's gate. I'll be there. I'm leaving in an hour! Don't waiver on this...................................that's a good spot, you can get anywhere from there..........
Hoping I get some turns in tomorrow, the wind is scaring me. Thinking MRG.