• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New majority owner of Peak Resorts

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder at what point PEOPLE will start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming others for their downfalls. Back in the late 70s early 80s there was a big push in medicine for pain control, after many years criticism from the public that their pain was poorly controlled after surgeries. To the point that there was a push to include pain in all vital sign rounds, "pain is the fifth vital" was the mantra in nursing and medical schools.

The big bad rich people created a medicine that is effective in treating pain. Pain which most should never have complained about in the first place but as a society we are soft, so the Sackler's seized the opportunity.

Was the drug abused, yes. Was it misrepresented, probably. Is it their fault people started taking their pills three-four times more frequently and double and triple the prescribed doses, absolutely not. Nowhere on the drug information sheets does it say it is acceptable to chew them (because it gets you high instead of slow release as intended), nowhere does it say crush an snort as an acceptable route of administration (because it gets you high instead of treating pain as intended).

We as a society need to stop passing the buck and take responsibility for our own actions. I couldn't care who owns what as long as they keep the lights on. I have way more important shit to worry about - mainly keeping my kids safe and healthy and teaching them to stay away from all the bad shit that goes on in this world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

I used to have the same opinion, until I watched a couple PBS/Frontline Episodes on the epidemic and then I did a 180-degree shift. These meds are HIGHLY addictive--more so than heroin. And the manufacturers knew it and downplayed it.

One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8SvCrIHkE

Two:

http://www.pbs.org/wned/opioid-epidemic/watch/

So yes, you're right. Folks should be held accountable. In this case, the people who manufactured, marketed, and profitted from the drugs.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Not only did the manufacturers know how addictive these drugs are, they incentified doctors to prescribe ever increasing dosages. And to prescribe them inappropriately too. Like giving post partum moms derivatives of fentanyl that were developed for terminal cancer patients. Guess what? Many of those moms got addicted and many died.

I understand folks want to look the other way when it affects an activity they enjoy, but I am frankly shocked that anyone believes it is no big deal or doesn't care one way or the other. And while I am a strong proponent of personal responsibility, people are trained from an early age to trust their doctor and take meds when prescribed. This is a massive breach of that trust.

I hope the Sacklers, any other opioid manufacturer, the distribution companies, and the bad doctors who felt $ matters more than life all get the book thrown at them and rot in jail forever. And while I never in the past thought to care about or research the business dealings of who owns my ski area, I will never make that mistake again.

My own personal shame that I did not think to do this before giving any of my money to Peaks is almost unbearable and I now feel I owe FBGM an apology for ranking on some of his posts. He was right!

Funky_Catskills

I need to process this.. It doesn't make me happy.. Hunter went from a family business to this..
I don't want his money near/in my town - where people have died from this crisis.

I just need to think this through...

njdiver85

In all seriousness, it's more surprising the Peak would yield majority ownership to any investor, and for what - to acquire SnowTime??

JimG.

Staff member
I need to process this.. It doesn't make me happy.. Hunter went from a family business to this..
I don't want his money near/in my town - where people have died from this crisis.

I just need to think this through...

As you process ignore my over the top reaction.

This topic sets me off, I have a family member who was just weaned off of opioids. She was lucky.

snoseek

A one year mass boycott would probably fold peak.....

JimG.

Staff member
A one year mass boycott would probably fold peak.....

Not sure I hold anything against Peaks so that would be inappropriate to me. Yes they took bad $ but it's tough for me to blame them. I'm sure I've made money from investments in pharma. Do the Sacklers manage day to day ops at Peaks resorts? doubtful.

Peaks runs ski areas...although the fact that a lift ops had to be revived from an overdose is pretty chilling.

Funky_Catskills

My friends DID take personal responsibility by calling me for help to assist them with getting off these legally prescribed pain killers..

HowieT2

I wonder at what point PEOPLE will start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming others for their downfalls. Back in the late 70s early 80s there was a big push in medicine for pain control, after many years criticism from the public that their pain was poorly controlled after surgeries. To the point that there was a push to include pain in all vital sign rounds, "pain is the fifth vital" was the mantra in nursing and medical schools.

The big bad rich people created a medicine that is effective in treating pain. Pain which most should never have complained about in the first place but as a society we are soft, so the Sackler's seized the opportunity.

Was the drug abused, yes. Was it misrepresented, probably. Is it their fault people started taking their pills three-four times more frequently and double and triple the prescribed doses, absolutely not. Nowhere on the drug information sheets does it say it is acceptable to chew them (because it gets you high instead of slow release as intended), nowhere does it say crush an snort as an acceptable route of administration (because it gets you high instead of treating pain as intended).

We as a society need to stop passing the buck and take responsibility for our own actions. I couldn't care who owns what as long as they keep the lights on. I have way more important shit to worry about - mainly keeping my kids safe and healthy and teaching them to stay away from all the bad shit that goes on in this world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

That certainly is the sacklers side of the story.
Do you know how many americans died from opioids last year alone? I believe its about 47,000. dead. In one year. Thats a lot of "irresponsible" people. Its quite the coincidence that this epidemic exploded after purdue flooded the country with oxy for everything. and the evidence is pretty clear that they were well aware of how addictive it was and furthermore that it was being abused on a massive scale. Its kind of ironic that you preach about responsibility while denying any culpability on the part of the drug dealers who made billions of dollars selling a product which has resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of americans.

skiur

That certainly is the sacklers side of the story.
Do you know how many americans died from opioids last year alone? I believe its about 47,000. dead. In one year. Thats a lot of "irresponsible" people. Its quite the coincidence that this epidemic exploded after purdue flooded the country with oxy for everything. and the evidence is pretty clear that they were well aware of how addictive it was and furthermore that it was being abused on a massive scale. Its kind of ironic that you preach about responsibility while denying any culpability on the part of the drug dealers who made billions of dollars selling a product which has resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of americans.

Alcohol kills many more people each year than opioids, but every ski area has bars plus many events sponsored by beer. How come nobody is up in arms over that? Budweiser makes billions of dollars selling a product which has resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of americans. But beer is socially acceptable while heroine is not so nobody is upset......just sayin

Funky_Catskills

Alcohol kills many more people each year than opioids, but every ski area has bars plus many events sponsored by beer. How come nobody is up in arms over that? Budweiser makes billions of dollars selling a product which has resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands of americans. But beer is socially acceptable while heroine is not so nobody is upset......just sayin

When's the last time somebody OD'd violently on alcohol?

jaytrem

When's the last time somebody OD'd violently on alcohol?

I guess technically any DUI death could be considered an OD. Wouldn't be dead if you didn't over use alcohol. 1 death every 50 min in the US. Somehow alcohol gets a pass though.

skiur

I feel ya - but I think both drugs are different. Opiates are more immediately addictive and dangerous.

Alcohol can be extremely addictive to some people and has destroyed many families, dont get me wrong, I love to drink, but lets call a spade a spade. I know plenty of people who have drank themselves to death and have ruined there lives and the lives of their families. To someone with an addictive personality alcohol can be just as addictive as opioids.

Funky_Catskills

Alcohol can be extremely addictive to some people and has destroyed many families, dont get me wrong, I love to drink, but lets call a spade a spade. I know plenty of people who have drank themselves to death and have ruined there lives and the lives of their families. To someone with an addictive personality alcohol can be just as addictive as opioids.

All very true.
But opioids can/will kill or have you addicted on the first dose..
I love whiskey - but I'd never touch opioids.. Because I've seen how fast people get fucked up on it. And helped people get undone from it.. And have lost a few people because of it.. Way more than alcohol.. Which I know is dangerous..

Don't EVER do them... ever.. unless there's no other choice for pain relief..

Edd

Are alcohol and opioids comparable when we’re discussing addiction? Both are addictive, but opioids are likely in a different category. Also, alcohol is 1000x more available. People take up arms against the booze but alcohol isn’t used for medical reasons. It’s apples and oranges.