• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

MEtoVTSkier

But what happens if it doesnt

attachment.php

Attachments

• failed inspection.jpg
    failed inspection.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 304

mriceyman

And i guess the whole 2 lift idea was a pipe dream?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

And i guess the whole 2 lift idea was a pipe dream?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

No, I wouldn't go that far. They did lots of work on Black this summer (I personally witnessed some of it) so not a pipe dream. Whether issues with Red have diverted resources from Black I cannot say, but I could imagine such a scenario. IMHO they don't need Black until a holiday period where they have significant terrain open, which short of a rather large dump next week will be Presidents. That said, always believed in having a back up.....

JamaicaMan

Hearing now that today is not the day for Red. Guess there are still two days left after today for the new, new, new opening day deadline of Jan 9, so why worry???

Smellytele

No, I wouldn't go that far. They did lots of work on Black this summer (I personally witnessed some of it) so not a pipe dream. Whether issues with Red have diverted resources from Black I cannot say, but I could imagine such a scenario. IMHO they don't need Black until a holiday period where they have significant terrain open, which short of a rather large dump next week will be Presidents. That said, always believed in having a back up.....

lipstick on a pig

VTKilarney

Word on the Facebook page is that the inspection will happen tomorrow (Thursday). That is cutting it insanely close.

UYSDYP

Fb says counterweight tomorrow, not necessarily inspection. I just want to know if we'll be skiing on Sat or not.

MadMadWorld

They decided they were sick of people complaining that they don't have 2 lifts and left us with none. They stuck it to the man!!

VTKilarney

Fb says counterweight tomorrow, not necessarily inspection. I just want to know if we'll be skiing on Sat or not.
Good point. I may have interpreted the post incorrectly. I assumed that it meant that the chair was being inspected, but it probably means that the counterweight is being attended to tomorrow. If that is indeed the case, that would leave precious little time for a lift inspection.

farlep99

While the lift not being inspected is certainly a concern for the upcoming weekend, I think the more pressing question is will they have made enough snow. No snowmaking temps for the today, tomorrow & Friday during daytime hours. Hopefully they can get enough made in the overnight windows in this time

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

First in regards to the counterweight/inspection it is very possible the rest of the lift has already been inspected and the counterweight is just the last piece. If so, even though a tight timeline, it is not impossible to have it certified by the weekend.

That said, no way they get a skiable path from the summit by the weekend. They should just come out and say it now.

VTKilarney

That said, no way they get a skiable path from the summit by the weekend. They should just come out and say it now.
If that is indeed the case, then they should say so as soon as possible. Keeping people on the hook until the last minute won't make things better. The good news is that this weekend may not be a good weekend for skiing anyway. But we're getting awfully far into the year to have a ski area remain closed.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Can't imagine any of the emergency systems were inspected/tested if the counterweight wasn't ready.

Depends. If they just needed to get it a little higher there is no reason you couldn't run through the rest of the checks and inspect the line. Roll backs, stopping distances, fire extinguishers, communications, signage, etc. can all be done. It is not uncommon to call for an inspection and end up with a list of items to fix. Then the inspector comes back after the list has been completed and does a final. I have no idea what has or hasn't been done. I'm just saying its possible.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Hey MagicSales ....we love you and we love Magic.

The Ski Till I Die guys are already planning on coming out Feb 5th weekend and March 11th (tentatively)... snow or no snow.

You know what... we dont even care if we ski! Thats right, RustyGroomer, is the bar open? No? Well shit, Parking Lot bar it is!

PearlJam09

Website
www.leaveyourfeet.net
Hey MagicSales ....we love you and we love Magic.

The Ski Till I Die guys are already planning on coming out Feb 5th weekend and March 11th (tentatively)... snow or no snow.

You know what... we dont even care if we ski! Thats right, RustyGroomer, is the bar open? No? Well shit, Parking Lot bar it is!

Let me know if you need a place to crash. We don't have a ball pit, but it's close enough to stumble home.

zoomzoom

maybe tom thought the lift inspector wouldn't notice insufficient ctw or carriage? or maybe doesn't realize the implications of the cwt/carriage bumping into something on an e-stop? or maybe he thought the inspector would let it slide? how did the evac demo go?

am still planning on skiing there, a big fan.