• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Northeast Resort By Decade

steamboat1

Yes Stowe is an amazing ski area but I can't justify the prices they change for a day pass. It's 4-4.5 hours from me and the only way I go is on the bus, ride and pass for $75, that is a bargain.
Yes their walk up window rate is a little over the top but their online tickets are competively priced. That's a nice deal with the bus.

steamboat1

A little????
Yes just a little. I think all your major players in VT. will be over $90 for a we/hol walk up window ticket this year. Most haven't posted prices yet but Killington already announced $92 for a we/hol walk up ticket. The other major players are likely to be similar if not more. I think Stowe is worth $10/$11 more. If you already have their RFID card (which I do) their walk up rate is $103, $89 online.

Edd

Yes just a little. I think all your major players in VT. will be over $90 for a we/hol walk up window ticket this year. Most haven't posted prices yet but Killington already announced $92 for a we/hol walk up ticket. The other major players are likely to be similar if not more. I think Stowe is worth $10/$11 more. If you already have their RFID card (which I do) their walk up rate is $103, $89 online.

I think Stowe's pricey reputation gets reinforced by their unwillingness to have deals on Liftopia and so forth. At least, that's been my experience.

steamboat1

I think Stowe's pricey reputation gets reinforced by their unwillingness to have deals on Liftopia and so forth. At least, that's been my experience.
If you belong to a ski club you can prepurchase Stowe tickets for $66, good anytime. Then there is their ski club appreciation days for $44, I think they have 15 of them spread out throughout the season. But you're right no deals for John Q public.

edit: my error there are some deals for John Q public. VT. passes, VT. travel card & a few others I believe.

Last edited:

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
"80s?? Hmmm, what happened in 1980 that made one resort a world name? Event(s) that because the eyes of the whole world would be upon it required and allowed for massive investment in snowmaking, lifts, lodge, and other improvements that put them out front of all the others and allowed them to coast through the decade until the winter of 1988-'89 when I taught there full time and lived at the Hotel Marcy suites, hanging out at the Arena Grill and Mudpuddles. PS Greatest Vertical in the East too.

Oh, and in he 30's & 40's?? North Creek NY (Gore was not developed yet). Ski Trains from NYC!!

Last edited:

soozilah

I agree with Sunday River 80s - it was definitely THE place to ski for kids from my town on North Shore of Boston in the 80s.

jerryg

My guess is that if you went up to your average Joe/Jill has no clue that Whiteface hosted the 1980 alpine events, where it is, or what happens there. It's a great mountain - no doubt, (I'd rather ski it in the right conditions more than most named on here) and while its' vertical is not continuous, it's big, but no longer big enough to host an FIS downhill or super-G.
People know Lake Placid, not Whiteface.

"80s?? Hmmm, what happened in 1980 that made one resort a world name? Event(s) that because the eyes of the whole world would be upon it required and allowed for massive investment in snowmaking, lifts, lodge, and other improvements that put them out front of all the others and allowed them to coast through the decade until the winter of 1988-'89 when I taught there full time and lived at the Hotel Marcy suites, hanging out at the Arena Grill and Mudpuddles. PS Greatest Vertical in the East too.

Oh, and in he 30's & 40's?? North Creek NY (Gore was not developed yet). Ski Trains from NYC!!

ThinkSnow

My guess is that if you went up to your average Joe/Jill has no clue that Whiteface hosted the 1980 alpine events, where it is, or what happens there. It's a great mountain - no doubt, (I'd rather ski it in the right conditions more than most named on here) and while its' vertical is not continuous, it's big, but no longer big enough to host an FIS downhill or super-G.
People know Lake Placid, not Whiteface.

Iceface is fine, if you can deal with all the NYers and J-holes.

Madroch

Mt snow was pretty interesting in the 70s with the outdoor pool, indoor rink, ice mountain, bubble chairs, skis on gondolas, and tram from a lodge.... I was only a kid but seemed like it had a lot going on and a big social scene..

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mt snow was pretty interesting in the 70s with the outdoor pool, indoor rink, ice mountain, bubble chairs, skis on gondolas, and tram from a lodge.... I was only a kid but seemed like it had a lot going on and a big social scene..

Yes, but that all went away in the late 70s after Killington bought the place.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Yes, but that all went away in the late 70s after Killington bought the place.
I suspect that Mt. Snow was probably the winner for the decade, 1965-1975. While that's a decade, the thread has the last digit as "0" - not "5".

Some particularly interesting lifts included their 2-passenger gondolas, the "Air Car" aerial tramway, etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd have to give the 90s to Sundary River. They added Aurora, Oz and Jordan Peaks during that decade. Also added a couple of HSQs on existing terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, honorable mention to Okemo. The two together really pushed the expansion envelope during both the 80s & 90s more than other areas in the east. In doing so, they both became top 5 in New England for skier visits.