• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 12/19-20

Once again stellar snowmaking and no lift issues at Hunter. On Saturday we had K/27, Clairs and Racers Edge with great man made snow and moguls. By the end of the day Upper Crossover was available after only 5 hours of snowmaking.

Sunday. Robin looks out the window and says, " holy shxt". I thought it was snow, but it was a late model Chevy Blazer. The guy drove the the wrong way out of the Hotel parking lot and ended up in the woods behind the condo.

Skiing was once again incredible. We lapped Upper Crossover/ Racers and Clairs. They continued to pound Clairs moving the guns to the other side of the doughnut and also Upper Crossover.

Rumour has it that Annapurna is next and then 44.

The freestyle team also set up the first seeded course.

Last edited:

dmc

Sunday the quad stopped for 10 minutes... I thought I was doomed.. I failed to follow the 180 mantra... "DMC - Don't ride the quad between 11 and 1pm..." :)

Can't wait to hit the other side of the clairs doughnut... :)

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Hunter 12/20

Jamesdeluxe and I hit it yesterday.

It's been a long time since I'd been there - maybe 5 years. I'd never skied West before.

Gotta say I was impressed. Good pitch on that hill, and deep deep manmade snow.

Got to agree that hitting skiers right on Crossover was sweet. Possibly run of the day. Claire's was awesome too.

Pics here:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12/hunter-mtn-ny-122009.html

dmc

Jamesdeluxe and I hit it yesterday.

It's been a long time since I'd been there - maybe 5 years. I'd never skied West before.

Gotta say I was impressed. Good pitch on that hill, and deep deep manmade snow.

Got to agree that hitting skiers right on Crossover was sweet. Possibly run of the day. Claire's was awesome too.

Pics here:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12/hunter-mtn-ny-122009.html

Great blog... Welcome back!!! It's going to be off the hook when Purna and Westway(44) open...

JimG.

Staff member
Once again stellar snowmaking and no lift issues at Hunter. On Saturday we had K/27, Clairs and Racers Edge with great man made snow and moguls. By the end of the day Upper Crossover was available after only 5 hours of snowmaking.

Sunday. Robin looks out the window and says, " holy shxt". I thought it was snow, but it was a late model Chevy Blazer. The guy drove the the wrong way out of the Hotel parking lot and ended up in the woods behind the condo.

Skiing was once again incredible. We lapped Upper Crossover/ Racers and Clairs. They continued to pound Clairs moving the guns to the other side of the doughnut and also Upper Crossover.

I was wondering about that Blazer. What was he thinking? He was lucky to drive it away.

The skiing this past weekend was sick. On Sunday I was so hyped up I forgot to eat lunch until I realized it was 2:30. Great snow everywhere, 90% open.

Soon to be 100%...blowing on Purna as we speak.

powhunter

Nice report Alan.....Hey is the mogul course open to the public when not in use??

steveo

Don't rush up for the "course". It was more of a training area. With 50 kids and some brushes you can build a line real fast. I am sure it was buried with snow. Hunter has 2 of those automated polecats which rotate. They can really coat a tremendouse area under the right conditions.

We'll be back Thursday so I will give a full report.

jamesdeluxe

Website
www.nyskiblog.com
Soon to be 100%...blowing on Purna as we speak.
I was with Harv on Sunday and had a great time.

I usually only ski Hunter in the early and late season, so I don't know the standard operating procedure for snowmaking... once they get West covered, do they ever do refreshers throughout the season (not just after a brutal rain/freeze event) or are the bumps left in their natural (icy) state for the hardcores?

Next time you guys are planning to come, give a shout so we can hook up.

Once the place is covered they'll slow down. They can dust the entire mountain overnight, which is what they'll do going forward. They love to blow on Racers on Saturday mornings because it is automated.