• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epicski dead all content to disappear

BenedictGomez

Epicski dead all content to disappear

Anyone know the reason why?

I dont know much about this stuff, but from what I have seen when you have a decent base (and their's was much better than AZ for instance), usually someone will at least scoop you up on the cheap rather than having the whole thing die for $0.00.

The EpicSki forum will no longer be available after April 28, 2017, due to our current hosting provider discontinuing its forum services.

This doesn't seem credible.

cdskier

Anyone know the reason why?

I dont know much about this stuff, but from what I have seen when you have a decent base (and their's was much better than AZ for instance), usually someone will at least scoop you up on the cheap rather than having the whole thing die for $0.00.

This doesn't seem credible.

Unlike AZ which uses a pretty mainstream forum product that you can use on essentially any reputable host, Epicski was apparently using a hosted platform known as Huddler that could only be run on Huddler's own hosting platform. Supposedly they've been informing their clients for a while now that they were discontinuing it as contracts ended (I've seen references from other sites that used that platform stating they were informed as far back as 2014 that it was being phased out). Problem is, there's no real easy way to migrate the forums to another more mainstream forum product (like vBulletin). It "can" be done, but is a very customized process and you'd need someone with a lot of database knowledge (and time) to do it.

I suspect Epicski had a lot more advanced notice about this and it isn't something they were really just told about now. Maybe they thought they could figure out a solution. Maybe they thought Huddler would change their minds and extend the service. Maybe they thought Huddler would offer an "export" solution. Or maybe Huddler told the wrong people at Epicski and whoever they told didn't care to tell the people actively involved in the site.

What is odd though is that Huddler seems to be ending contracts one at a time with each "community" that they were hosting and not setting an end date for everyone all at once.

cdskier

Also fwiw, here's a company that successfully migrated someone's Huddler forum to another product. They said it took them 2 months to do it. I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but since Vail owns Epicski they should have been able to dig up some money to do it. Obviously they don't particularly care about the forums if they chose not to fully investigate options.

https://www.mvisolutions.com/goal-o...velopment-success-stories/huddler-to-xenforo/

Glenn

That's too bad. And short notice for people who have content they want to migrate over. What a shame.

MEtoVTSkier

One of the issues with facebook is that you can't hide behind a stage name. Also I don't always want my different worlds to collide.

Your only option is a second FB identity. Gamers do it all the time. Nobody will bother you about it, as long as you aren't causing harm with it.

dlague

I am somewhat amazed with all of this. I have accounts at Epicski, TGR and obviously here. I have participated on all three and find that this forum has the greatest sense of community I am sure due to the focus. I started using Epicski more this season but it has felt generic. I wonder if activity has slowed down over the years? I will have to check out Pugski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I'm disappointed in this. I visit less than I used to and rarely posted but that's a stunning amount of content to lose.

benski

Lots of people change there Facebook names and create second accounts. Seniors often do it to make it harder for colleges to find there account. Some people do it after college. Sororities often create an account to give the pledges hints of who will be the big and share embarrassing photos of the pledge.

Jully

I am somewhat amazed with all of this. I have accounts at Epicski, TGR and obviously here. I have participated on all three and find that this forum has the greatest sense of community I am sure due to the focus. I started using Epicski more this season but it has felt generic. I wonder if activity has slowed down over the years? I will have to check out Pugski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I have an account on PugSki though I may have posted once. I lurk frequently though and from what I can tell the community is nice over there. Hard to compare to AZ, especially as it is based over a larger geographic area and I don't participate.

I'm disappointed in this. I visit less than I used to and rarely posted but that's a stunning amount of content to lose.

Agreed. I'm just dismayed at the content. Epicski was usually 3 out of the first 5 hits for anything I googled that was skiing related (mostly gear).

skiNEwhere

Epicski has such a massive repository of information, I wish they could keep it around for reference, it's a shame to see that all disappear. I can't help but wonder what's happening in the background.

jimk

It's possible that Vail Resorts has other plans for the url, but nobody knows for sure. Mostly since Mtn News (owned by VR) acquired site it's been operated with benign neglect over several years. Volunteers and very low pay part timers running it. I'm sure it was a minor waste of money for Mtn News and they decided to pull plug after facing a somewhat costly conversion charge due to platform issues. Hard to believe it couldn't be saved and moneytized by savvy VR IT person.

skiNEwhere

Nick, if you're on here, it might not hurt to go over to Epic and recruit for this site.

More users=more advertisements clicked on=more $$

BenedictGomez

Unlike AZ which uses a pretty mainstream forum product that you can use on essentially any reputable host, Epicski was apparently using a hosted platform known as Huddler that could only be run on Huddler's own hosting platform.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, that makes sense now.

I have accounts at Epicski, TGR and obviously here. I have participated on all three and find that this forum has the greatest sense of community I am sure due to the focus.

Back in 2011 when I was looking for a ski forum, I knew I only had time for one, and this was my analysis:

TGR - A total **** show of nastiness and immaturity sprinkled with decent ski/snowboard info. Seemed kindof western focused. I couldnt deal with every other thread getting derailed after post #12 with some long-standing personal squabble, potty talk, or random idiocy.

EpicSki - I liked the functionality of this forum the best, it seemed to have a great community, was a bit more western focused, but there was still a lot of eastern stuff on there. Lots of folks knowledgeable about gear, reviews, etc... Seemed good.

AZ - By far the smallest, and thus the least content, but what content that existed was more relevant (~90% eastern), and most everyone seemed polite and mature. I went here (obviously).

abc

How about fix the mobile issues and such first?
Why does one preclude the other?

If all forums have to fix all their usability issues "first" before everything else, there wouldn't be any forums at all!

Where would you go to post your snarky remarks?

Tin

Why does one preclude the other?

If all forums have to fix all their usability issues "first" before everything else, there wouldn't be any forums at all!

Where would you go to post your snarky remarks?

Useless to go invite people if they cannot use the site from their phones/tablets, etc which most people have constant access to these days and already three times this week there was issues with this site.

raisingarizona

Nick, if you're on here, it might not hurt to go over to Epic and recruit for this site.

More users=more advertisements clicked on=more $$

I thought Greg was the promoter? His promotional posts over on TGR are legendary.