• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 11/14/17

Zand

Day 3 in a row to start the season...never done that before. Boots are finally starting to feel better but the rest of me is quite sore so I think I'll take a day off tomorrow.

Got on the hill around 1:30 and hit conifer till 3. They got about an inch of new snow last night, all of which is still there up top but down the bottom the grass is still green. Tale of two seasons. Top 3rd of the trail was beautiful packed powder, middle was a bit hard packed and slick, and the bottom was that nice butter snow from early yesterday. Even got to take a few turns in the natural on the side of the trail and saw a guy poach balance rock.

Around 3 they curiously shut down the summit for the night...they said it was due to staffing but seemed very sudden. No warning on the website or Facebook or anything. Therefore hit Challenger once before calling it a day. Challenger was great carving packed powder for most of it...bit choppy on the very bottom but overall very nice skiing.

Jully

Day 3 in a row to start the season...never done that before. Boots are finally starting to feel better but the rest of me is quite sore so I think I'll take a day off tomorrow.

Got on the hill around 1:30 and hit conifer till 3. They got about an inch of new snow last night, all of which is still there up top but down the bottom the grass is still green. Tale of two seasons. Top 3rd of the trail was beautiful packed powder, middle was a bit hard packed and slick, and the bottom was that nice butter snow from early yesterday. Even got to take a few turns in the natural on the side of the trail and saw a guy poach balance rock.

Around 3 they curiously shut down the summit for the night...they said it was due to staffing but seemed very sudden. No warning on the website or Facebook or anything. Therefore hit Challenger once before calling it a day. Challenger was great carving packed powder for most of it...bit choppy on the very bottom but overall very nice skiing.

Good to know about them shutting down the summit. I might head over tomorrow after work and get there around 4 or 5. Will want to make sure the summit is open!

Zand

Check the snow report before you go but even that might not help. They changed the snow report at 2:50 by sneakily unchecking conifer then closed it at 3. No other mention of closing it anywhere. Maybe it's a one time thing because it stayed open yesterday.