• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

fiddleski

Was up that way this weekend. Roads in and out of Rangeley are in horrible shape.

For folks driving up from Massachusetts, the 2+ hours on those local, slow, sometimes crappy roads is about an hour too far. The skiing isn't that much better than closer options for most to justify the trip.

Sent from my moto x4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Sad thing is that all the approaches to Rangeley were resurfaced just a few years ago. Long, frigid winters and logging trucks take a toll.

bdfreetuna

meadow like ski trail

Something about the way you worded that gave me a chuckle. Quoted for fantastic imagery.

I would think the top would only theoretically open once the snowpack is deep enough that most of the shrubs and alpine perennials would be under a yard stick of snow.

machski

^ So it's ok to cross over a 4 lane Mass Pike, but somehow crossing a meadow like ski trail ruins the experience?
I would say that is an apples to oranges comparison. Totally different crossing highways in the valleys as opposed to crossing development in the higher Alpine wilderness.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I definitely would not want lifts at the top of Saddleback, or the AT relocated - that's one of the most spectacular ridge walks in the east. I was referring facetiously to the conveyor tunnel at Snowbird that connect the front side to Mineral Basin.

Not to get on a tangent, but for all the bitching about the tunnel, it is pretty useful.

tipsdown

Sad thing is that all the approaches to Rangeley were resurfaced just a few years ago. Long, frigid winters and logging trucks take a toll.

The roads this time of year are tough almost everywhere in rural Maine due to the frost heaves and freeze/thaw cycles...The driving conditions are about the same a SL, as is distance.

As for skiing off the backside...it was explored during the Warren Cook days of Saddleback. They were going to offer cat skiing off the back....thinning glades below treeline. It would offer the most gnarly terrain in the East IF it ever happens...

machski

You do realize most of Maine's resurfacing is a 1/4 skim coat with some patch buildup below in spots. That doesn't take more than two winters to start falling apart again.

bigbob

Come, come now, You exaggerate. We are getting a 5/8" layer on Rt 26 thru Woodstock (Bryant Pond village area) per the DOT. That's a tad more than 1/4":razz:

Rode on 26 yesterday. It needs it all the way down to Paris!!

bigbob

Come, come now, You exaggerate. We are getting a 5/8" layer on Rt 26 thru Woodstock (Bryant Pond village area) per the DOT. That's a tad more than 1/4":razz:

SkiFanE

<br>
About 3 winters ago a friend and his kids were coming up Rt 26 to visit. In Woodstock he hit a huge pot hole hidden in puddle and flattened both passenger side tires. Had to get towed and needed ride. There were another 4-5 cars there with same problem. Tow guys were happy to help. Friend got new tires next day. And then saw later the mechanic switched out all 4 of his fancy little chrome valve covers for plastic.  there is little incentive to fix it when it's a revenue stream for area lmao

machski

Not really. Route 5 gets the 1/4" skim, I've seen it. Drives great for one winter, then begins to crumble the next.

26 is a much heavier use route (not to mention Maine paid some good $$ to do the upgraded passing zones and bypass in Gray not so long ago) so I am glad they are going a bit further with the resurface. But up Rangley way, they just get the 1/4" if lucky.

delco714

I'd be happy with a few more passing lanes. Many of the roads to the Western Maine mountains have a 55mph limit and plenty of stretches you can drive 60-65 safely. The problems occur when you get stuck behind Emmit and Gertrude traveling 45-50 as they are in no hurry to get anywhere. Lots of those types in Maine. Lots of people up there also like to travel slowly in the passing lanes on highways. Its so prevalent, I swear they must teach it in drivers Ed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Once you get passed kingsfield headed west north west towards CBV on a Friday night.. That's the worst. Traffic slows down to 40mph for zero reason...train of cars that ends at the loaf..then I did 75 to Eustis. Terrible

SkiFanE

Not really. Route 5 gets the 1/4" skim, I've seen it. Drives great for one winter, then begins to crumble the next.

26 is a much heavier use route (not to mention Maine paid some good $$ to do the upgraded passing zones and bypass in Gray not so long ago) so I am glad they are going a bit further with the resurface. But up Rangley way, they just get the 1/4" if lucky.

best is when they skim coat but leave the stripes there - funniest thing ever (basically two parallel strips of new asphalt). I love Maine frugality!

Edd

Rangeley has two things (lake and mountain) going for it that most places don’t have in such close proximity. I’d call it a good bet against other remote communities.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

Rangeley has two things (lake and mountain) going for it that most places don’t have in such close proximity. I’d call it a good bet against other remote communities.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Although the water front in Portland was chosen as was a part of South Portland.