• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2012

SkiFanE

Finally got out for first road ride, I'm very scared on the road so will usually only go early weekends in Boston burbs.

It SUCKED! Ugh...woke up early, going downstairs I wiped last 4 steps or so and landed hard on my back/hip area...(wtf is all that padding there for? geez..)...laid for a minute in pain. Got up went out anyway. 50*, no rain but puddly wet roads. 20 less ski days than last year (w/ half as much mogul time) and a few weeks of laziness between last ski day and now took a toll. Was hoping to go 20m...made it 12.5. Didn't dress warm enough, was prob dehydrated before I started. And then on side of road was some vomit...I have big aversion to vomit. My n'hood is on tallest hill in town, no matter how I dice it have a big one at end (maybe 3-400ft vertical?). Take the long route, but stretched out hill...chugging up hill...I think I can, I think I can...Oh...I think of vomit...can't get rid of those thoughts...I think I can...oh crap..I'm gonna vomit. :puke: .NEVER in my life have I ever done that while excercising. Luckily I was 3/4 done of big hill and than a short steep one right at end..finished up freezing fucking cold...to the core. Got home, everyone still in bed...strip out of wet clothes, get out heating pad for back and forced myself next to hubby to warm up...i was seriously cold..like I have never been after a frigid ski day. Took almost 2 hours to feel warm.

Sigh....been in bed nursing my stair injury most of the day. Also bashed my elbow on fall, and getting off bike quick to :puke: gave me a huge bruise on my inner thigh...

Pity party here in bed...but still hoping to get out tomorrow AM. We'll see.

SkiFanE

I'm working on my balance still. The wider tires have been giving me a little more confidence. I'll probably try the road bike next week.

I'm sorta a road bike newbie, and I noticed having my tiny road bike tires pumped real high made balancing harder...I usually have them at 100psi, but tried 110 and I didn't like it and went back to 100. Just a thought, and if I'm wrong an expert here will correct me lol.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm sorta a road bike newbie, and I noticed having my tiny road bike tires pumped real high made balancing harder...I usually have them at 100psi, but tried 110 and I didn't like it and went back to 100. Just a thought, and if I'm wrong an expert here will correct me lol.
You want to go with the lowest PSI you can safely ride without pinch flatting so your 100 is probably better than 110 if you don't flat. You can also increase the size of your tires which will allow you to lower your PSI further if balance is in issue.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

I am entirely a road bike newbie, but what you're saying makes sense in that a lower psi will give you more surface area to balance over. However, riverc0il is also correct that you don't want to go so low that you get pinch flats. Delicate balance (ha!). Taking it out for the maiden voyage today, so we'll see...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
April 2012 - 6.62 miles
4/28/2012 - Still River Greenway - 2.19 miles (mtb)
4/30/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Iron Horse Blvd Greenway - 4.43 miles (mtb)

May 2012 - 17.68 miles
5/2/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway - 5.35 miles (mtb)
5/3/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 6.44 miles (mtb)
5/6/2012 - Burlington, CT, Farmington River Bike Trail - 5.89 miles w/the family (road)

o3jeff

Road

3-25 10.65 miles
4-8 15.49 miles
4-14 16.65 miles
4-15 14.25 miles
4-16 14.60 miles
4-18 17.19 miles
4-21 28.68 miles
5-5 19.19 miles

Total 136.70

MTB
5-5 12.5 Nass

SkiFanE

I am entirely a road bike newbie, but what you're saying makes sense in that a lower psi will give you more surface area to balance over. However, riverc0il is also correct that you don't want to go so low that you get pinch flats. Delicate balance (ha!). Taking it out for the maiden voyage today, so we'll see...

Oh definately...100 PSI works for me, wouldn't go lower, but noticed on my tired it said I could up to something much higher, so tried that. Can't remember the lowest (70? maybe?)

Hope you had a nice ride.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
April 2012 - 6.62 miles
4/30/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Iron Horse Blvd Greenway - 4.43 miles (mtb)

May 2012 - 24.68 miles
5/3/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 6.44 miles (mtb)
5/6/2012 - Burlington, CT, Farmington River Bike Trail - 5.89 miles w/the family (road)
5/7/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 7 miles (road)

o3jeff

April 2012 - 6.62 miles

May 2012 - 24.68 miles
5/7/2012 - Simsbury, CT, Route 10 & Greenway to Granby & back - 7 miles (road)

Opinion on the road bike? A lot easier to roll some mileage!

MR. evil

Very easy to rack up miles quickly, but my wrists have been bothering me. We did some adjustments tonight and hopefully they'll help.

When I first got the road bike last summer I was also having some wrist issues. The bike shop owner (big roadie, bike fit expert) explained to me that wrist issues are ussually a sign of a weak core. Because you core isn't supporting enough of your upper body mass your arms / wrists take the brunt of the load. He swapped out my stem for one with a lot of rise to give me a more upright riding posture. This was just to buy some time while I worked on core strength. A month or two later I swapped out stems to one longer than I first had with negative rise and was just fine. YMMV

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
When I first got the road bike last summer I was also having some wrist issues. The bike shop owner (big roadie, bike fit expert) explained to me that wrist issues are ussually a sign of a weak core. Because you core isn't supporting enough of your upper body mass your arms / wrists take the brunt of the load. He swapped out my stem for one with a lot of rise to give me a more upright riding posture. This was just to buy some time while I worked on core strength. A month or two later I swapped out stems to one longer than I first had with negative rise and was just fine. YMMV

Seeing as I'm still recovering from my discectomy 1 year ago, my core strength is definitely lacking. Slowly rebuilding, as allowed. We moved the bars a bit up for now...

o3jeff

How about if my shoulders right by my neck hurt? Probably just bad form and I have a bad habit of locking my elbows.

MR. evil

How about if my shoulders right by my neck hurt? Probably just bad form and I have a bad habit of locking my elbows.

I was having some shoulder neck issues at first also. It was due to wearing a mtb helmet with a visor. With the visor I had to cock my head back to have decent vision. Without the visor I could have my head down and see just find with my peripheral vision.

o3jeff

Very easy to rack up miles quickly, but my wrists have been bothering me. We did some adjustments tonight and hopefully they'll help.

The first few rides were pretty bad for me, everything hurt, wrists, arms, shoulders/neck. Did 30 miles today and feel really good, Been concentrating on relaxing more instead of being tense and probably whats helping more is just getting out there and ride, it will strengthen your core like Tim said and all the soreness goes away.

BackLoafRiver

MTB Miles
4/7 - 6.2 Miles
4/13 - 7.33 Miles
4/14 - 7.73 Miles
4/15 - 17.40 Miles
4/16 - 10.43 Miles
4/17 - 10.48 Miles
4/19 - 8.2 Miles
4/30 - 8.01 Miles

Total MTB - 75.78 Miles

Road Miles
5/5 - 17.5 miles
5/6 - 14.74
5/7 - 19.21
5/12 - 22.01
5/13 - 24.68

Total Road - 98.15

If the rain hadn't been on this 4 day on, 3 day off cycle, I could easily be well over 150. I have found that, like o3jeff, I am getting pain in my back. (pretty much where my traps are or just below) My only thought is that it I am still getting used to road riding position.

On a positive though, I am pretty hooked on the road thing. The bike is riding great. The only thing I can see changing is possibly moving from the SPD's I have on there. (I have been following the pedal thread closely) The whole "hotspot" thing is a reality for me and, while I am sure I could make it 30+ miles on them, I am sure toward the end it would be painful. Quite happy with my purchase. Until the weather cooperates and lets the trails dry out, the MTB is on hold.

o3jeff

Road

3/25 10.65 miles
4/8- 15.49 miles
4/14- 16.65 miles
4/15- 14.25 miles
4/16- 14.60 miles
4/18- 17.19 miles
4/21- 28.68 miles
55- 19.19 miles
5/7- 15.15 miles
5/13- 30.85 miles

Total Road 182.70

MTB
5/5- 12.5 Nass
5/12- 6.10 Nass

Total Mtb 18.60

Last edited:

SkiFanE

Got road bike out on Saturday and Sunday. Same route as awful ride last weekend. Saturday was just as brutal, but I didn't need to vomit or stop on ride up long hill lol. What an accomplishment....yeehaw. 12.5 miles...wtf is wrong with me. Started at 15 last year ans was up to 30 quickly.

Lamented to hubby and fitness guru teen daughter who both said I was having endurance/cardio problems. Made sense. I had been trying to power up hills and in general. So Sunday I paid attention to cadence and concnetrated on gearing and felt much better, had steam left at the end, ready to crank up to 20 in two more rides.

But like others above...back aches like never before. Know it's not my bike, but my soggy core. Really not starting out in as good shape as last spring, and find I'm just not using my abs and back muscles to hold my back up on bike. But am ~ 8pds lighter which I figure must count for something while hauling my ass up hills lol. People remove reflectors to lighten the load...I must removed 1000 haha.