• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Rules

mister moose

Meeting up with someone tomorrow to drive up to Cannon together and I already am stressing he won't be on time

We had an expression growing up - Cannon Standard Time. It was 30 to 60 minutes earlier so the person would show up on time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Avoid places that I have to worry about showing up first thing if I'm not in the mood to, be respectful of others I'm skiing with and tip the bar staff well.

That's pretty much it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can dig most of these rules. Especially the ones about showing up on time and having your Sh*t together. I do early ups at Sugarbush so I park in the front row, put my boots on at the car and I am on the lift at 7:30. No mess, no lines and always awesome quiet runs with no other People.

My biggest hang up is with the millennial crowd that absolutely must use texting as communication. If you are late or are planning on meeting up with someone use the phone! That way you can have a communication of where you are, what the plan is, where and when you will meet and a back up plan if all else fails. I have never effectively communicated by texting to meet up with people.
If you are on the hill, using the phone requires putting someone on speaker or loosening if not taking off your helmet all together. Out of respect for the other caller and others around me, I don't use speaker phone in public. Plus, if you are skiing you aren't likely to hear a phone. So, then someone has to wait to leave a voicemail, the other person has to be hassled with listening to it.

Texting makes more sense to me while skiing. More efficient

abc

If you are on the hill, using the phone requires putting someone on speaker or loosening if not taking off your helmet all together. Out of respect for the other caller and others around me, I don't use speaker phone in public. Plus, if you are skiing you aren't likely to hear a phone. So, then someone has to wait to leave a voicemail, the other person has to be hassled with listening to it.

For me, the reverse is true. If I'm skiing, there's no chance I'll hear the "ding" signalling a text. So that means I won't see your text till I stop for lunch!

If you call me, it rang and rang and rang for a good 30 seconds. I may not be in a position to answer it right then and there but I know someone called!

And if you bother to wait till the ringing stops and leave me a message, I can "look" it up on the phone -- I have visual voice mail on my iPhone. The translation isn't perfect, but I find I can usually make out what the message is.

To me, a phone call with a voice message is the best of both world.

Still, the very best is to arrive early and be there at the time agreed on, have all the sh1t together and be ready to ski!

kingslug

First class...now that would be nice..did it once..23 years ago..and it was an upgrade for a plane malfunction. (honeymoon to Vegas)...

Last edited:

Smellytele

I have earbuds in my helmet connected to my phone so while people may have to hear me speak they do not hear the caller. no need to take my helmet off. I know when someone calls because my music stops when it is ringing. Texting I have to take my gloves off and that sucks and have the phone out the whole time just asking for trouble (drop it or one of my gloves)

Hawk

I've been to several places with RFID readers and they all say the card needs to be in a lone pocket, especially away from electronics. Never heard about a specific side though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I skied Stowe last weekend. The scanners there are on the left side also and the people at the ticket counter had the same advice to me to have the pass in the left pocket by itself.

Hawk

For me, the reverse is true. If I'm skiing, there's no chance I'll hear the "ding" signalling a text. So that means I won't see your text till I stop for lunch!

If you call me, it rang and rang and rang for a good 30 seconds. I may not be in a position to answer it right then and there but I know someone called!

And if you bother to wait till the ringing stops and leave me a message, I can "look" it up on the phone -- I have visual voice mail on my iPhone. The translation isn't perfect, but I find I can usually make out what the message is.

To me, a phone call with a voice message is the best of both world.

Still, the very best is to arrive early and be there at the time agreed on, have all the sh1t together and be ready to ski!

This^^^^
My phone rings for 30 seconds and I have it on Vibrate also. I always know if the phone rings. I never know when a text comes in. I have it in my chest pocket and I feel it every time when it rings. If I am on the lift or skiing down I answer it especially if I am expecting someone WHO IS LATE! We have a conversation, understand exactly where they are at and have a precise plan on how to meet up. It works every time. No misunderstandings, no messed up time frames, no standing around waiting. I have never had a situation while skiing when a text work out perfect. In fact now if someone texts me I ignore it and just go skiing. It's not worth the time or the bother. You were selfish enough to be late, just call me and get it straight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Its never mission critical to meet up with someone I ski with at exact times and places. Unless it's regarding transportation to and from the mountain, I hardly ever find it selfish if someone isn't where they say they'll be at a certain time. Stuff happens. I simply say, hey, I'll see you at the mountain tomorrow. Text me when you arrive and I'll see you eventually. If I miss them out on the hill, I'll see them in the bar around lunch. Really no big deal for me.

Hawk

I ski at sugarbush mostly and have a rather large group of people I ski with. Most days are made up of skiing in and out of the woods and slide brook. I like to have 1 to 3 people with me so that skiing is safe and you have someone to get help. Sounds like you don't mind skiing alone. I don't because I am a social skier. Also I am mostly talking about when you make plans to meet someone to ski with them and they are late or slow. I would just rather people be on time or if not, just make a good plan so that we are all on the same page.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, I mostly ski with others, but if I have to take a few runs by myself while someone catches up with me or vice versa, it's really not a big deal for me. If I miss skiing a really technical line like Ossipee Chutes at Wildcat until I have people to join me, that's fine.

BenedictGomez

Airports too..always get overhead luggage spot..always laugh at the people who show up last and wonder why theres no room for their stuff...um..you were last on the plane...

I do the opposite. I dont use overhead luggage & wait for "final boarding call" to get on the plane, intentionally getting on last. I have no use for standing in a 10 minute long jetway line waiting for people to fight to get into their seats, stuff bags into the overhead etc...

I also dont stand up IMMEDIATELY when the unbuckle seatbelt light comes on, as I have no use for standing in a 6 minute line (moving nowhere) inside a plane. Why people do this I have no clue. It's intriguing to me in the illogical nature of it all, but it happens on every flight.

Basically several years of business travel hardened me into having zero tolerance for people who only fly once or twice a year. GTHOOMW.

I've been to several places with RFID readers and they all say the card needs to be in a lone pocket, especially away from electronics. Never heard about a specific side though

As Sugarbush they only have receivers on one-side of the gate.

Hawk

No, I mostly ski with others, but if I have to take a few runs by myself while someone catches up with me or vice versa, it's really not a big deal for me. If I miss skiing a really technical line like Ossipee Chutes at Wildcat until I have people to join me, that's fine.

You know that's all good with me. I'm still not using texts for communication. It's not a big deal. ;-)

bdfreetuna

You know that's all good with me. I'm still not using texts for communication. It's not a big deal. ;-)

Saw a guy driving south through Vermont I-91 South with a "HAWK" license plate yesterday. Gave it a 25% chance of being you.