• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Vail, Please Don't Buy Smugglers Notch Resort (or, Houston, We Have A Stalker)

VTKilarney

It’s Vail we are talking about. They could just have a helicopter connect the two resorts.

bdfreetuna

Remember "cross country skiing" from Smuggs to Stowe (on alpine skis and fixed bindings) some 20 years ago. I guess that was Snuffy's Trail. Seems like a tricky spot to put any kind of lift due to Sterling Pond up there. Hopefully the logistics just prevent it from happening.

p_levert

That would be cool.

Maybe cats traversing the Notch Road could be a temporary solution?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I thought about that too. But I dunno, isn't there a risk of avalanche in there? So while individuals may go through there on their snowmobiles, it's something different if there is a regular service from a business entity.

I just don't see this Stowe/Smuggs thing happening. Skier visits in VT are flat, why does this megaresort even make sense?

p_levert

Snowmobile tour groups go through there and they are business entities...

Maybe the snowmobile groups are flying under the radar.

But when a *big* company wants to do it, and there are people deeply opposed to this company, then all of sudden it's an avalanche hazard, and not allowed for anyone. Not my personal opinion, just saying.

djspookman

They used to be connected via Snuffys to/from trail 20 years ago. They groomed a trail across Sterling pond from the Smuggs side, then groomed the narrow trail from the top of the old big spruce chair from Stowe for the way to Smuggs.

Worked pretty well, although it was a bit of a slog across the pond in alpine gear!

D

BenedictGomez

Maybe the snowmobile groups are flying under the radar.

But when a *big* company wants to do it, and there are people deeply opposed to this company, then all of sudden it's an avalanche hazard, and not allowed for anyone. Not my personal opinion, just saying.

I dont think Smuggler's Notch is "flying under the radar" with their snowmobile groups.