• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WH Res. 6/7/09

2knees

cool place to ride for sure. Met up with Mr.Evil, MRGisevil, o3Jeff, Powhunter and Paul and headed up a decent sized climb under the powerlines. After getting up into it, we found tons of stuff to play on. We were resting at one point and i looked at this rocky spine that had been filled with some flat rocks to make a cool little spine to roller. Found a nice 3 or 4 foot huck with a sketchy landing. hit that and totally pretzeled my front rim. DAMN! unhooked the front brake and it was at least rideable. We pressed on from there and found some nice single track with so much to play on. Came across the big ladder/roller that Slopes posted a pic of. Bent wheel or not, it was too tempting. managed that without incident and then we found a nice 4 or 5 foot huck. I was debating it over and over but the thought of completely folding the rim upon landing seemed like waaay to big a chance to take. That pissed me off but now i have something to really look forward to for next time. I bailed cause it was getting to hairy with the bent rim and no front brake and those guys pressed on.

That place is really cool. there is so much to ride off and over. its literally everywhere you look. Randi was cursing at tim like a drunken sailor at one point and she nailed a roller! good riding with everyone.

MR. evil

Pat, you would have loved some of the stuff we came across after you left. Some really nice hucks with good DH landings. we also found quite a few steep rocky rollers that we sessioned. Randi was following me down all these rolllers shaming Paul and Jeff into hitting them, it was great!

There was a steep jagged rocky ledge you can roll down on the far right. I sessioned this ledge last year on a ride with Brian and Greg. It took me 3 or 4 trys to get it while those two just watched :roll:. I hit this thing today and Randi just follwed me right down having never seen it before. A little latter we came across a steep smooth rocky ledge that is a fun roller. I hit it several times, and then Jeff hit it a couple of times. Way to go Jeff! Then Randi hit it a couple of times and by this point Paul was shamed into doing it:-D. We took a bunch of picture of everyone hitting that roller.

From there we ripped a nice long flowy DH to the dyke and everyone was hauling ass. This DH has quickly become one of my favorite DH's. You can really carry alot of speed and there are a bunch of nice small to medium sized trail features to fly off. From there we rode the dyke a bit and seeing how he spent a good amount of time playing up on the ridge we chose to cut the ride short and take the fire road back to the cars.

It was a very nice paced fun ride with a good crew. After spending 11 hours working on the truck yesterday it was just the type of ride I needed.

Pat - a bike shop should be able to true that rim for you for about $15 to $20

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a good ride guys. Sorry to hear about the wheel Pat. Hopefully you can get that fixed up soon. I gotta get back the rez soon.

2knees

no sense getting it trued up. i need to face reality and buy a real bike. this thing simply cant handle the things i want to do. I may buy some decent rims for it and try to get through this season with it. I dont weigh enough to damage the frame but the components cant take the abuse. a pedal and now a rim.

MR. evil

cFound a nice 3 or 4 foot huck with a sketchy landing. hit that and totally pretzeled my front rim. DAMN! .

That huck was 4 feet easy measured at the base of the rock face. More like 5 plus feet where you landed. Thinking about it, you landed way short of those rocks you were worried about. If you juust rode staight over them it wouldn't have been a problem. Then again what would I know, no way I will ever huck something like that. But next time out I want to ride that rock spine / roller you did. That looked fun!

Like I said, I am planning on riding the Rez Wed. afterwork with a co-worker. He has never been MTB before but is in really good shape and should do fine. I am planning a similar paced ride. If you wheels is fixed by then you should join us, Jeff may also be joining us.

MR. evil

no sense getting it trued up. i need to face reality and buy a real bike. this thing simply cant handle the things i want to do. I may buy some decent rims for it and try to get through this season with it. I dont weigh enough to damage the frame but the components cant take the abuse. a pedal and now a rim.

The problem is that almost all wheels that can handle that kind of abuse are for disc brakes only. Disc brakes wheels have a rounded profile with no braking surface. The only wheels I have seen that are for rim brakes are ussually light weight XC wheels.

When you do get a bike, pick up some Azonic Outlaw wheels. They are really beefy and very strong. They are a bit heavy, but also can be found pretty cheap...........well cheap for MTB wheels.

2knees

The problem is that almost all wheels that can handle that kind of abuse are for disc brakes only. Disc brakes wheels have a rounded profile with no braking surface. The only wheels I have seen that are for rim brakes are ussually light weight XC wheels.

When you do get a bike, pick up some Azonic Outlaw wheels. They are really beefy and very strong. They are a bit heavy, but also can be found pretty cheap...........well cheap for MTB wheels.

my neighbor just took my kids to go swimming. I'm gonna go stop by the bike shop down the road and see what they say. i'd like to get out next week after work. keep me in mind if you head over there.

MR. evil

Picture of Randi riding a roller. The roller is higher and steeper than it looks in this pic

o3jeff

Really enjoyed the ride today, hit/rode a lot of stuff that is starting to build my confidence on getting the bike off the ground. Rod ether beginning of last year, but didn't remember all the stuff that the place has.

Knee didn't bother me at all, I think I am ready to start riding regularly again. Good to ride with some new faces and thanks for the great company.

Will post the gps track up tonight.

MR. evil

my neighbor just took my kids to go swimming. I'm gonna go stop by the bike shop down the road and see what they say. i'd like to get out next week after work. keep me in mind if you head over there.

Pat
If you can find a deal on a used or new bike frame, I have some parts that you could use to start building it up. I also know a guy that has a ton of parts for sale pretty cheap.

2knees

cant fix the rim. it was bent both ways so i ordered a new one. wont be ready till thursday so i cant do wednesday tim.

sounds like you guys found some "goods" after i bailed. Marge, you were killing me with that string of obsenities. :lol:

really liked that place, looking forward to some more time there. there is some serious air potential wherever you look.

Grassi21

great shots on that roller. looks like something i would try. WH is on my list.

MR. evil

cant fix the rim. it was bent both ways so i ordered a new one. wont be ready till thursday so i cant do wednesday tim.

The best night for me to ride afterwork are Mon. & Wed. Maybe we can shoot for the following week.

If you like the Rez, you will love Case Mt. That place has hucks everywhere you look!