• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

JPTracker

Can anyone explain why the steel for the top couple of floors was never installed? They had the crane there, after all.

It is probably the same construction as the Tram House at Jay. Only the stairwells have steel the rest is stick frame construction.

mbedle

I just heard that the consultants doing the design for the hotel have stopped work because they have run out of money.

That makes no sense to me. All major design of that hotel had to be completed before approval was given to start construction. For example, all facades, electrical, mechanical, room layout, services, entrances, and ADA requirements, would have already been designed and layout in the building application, before approval would have been granted. As far as interior design, I guess that might be an issue. But would think that would be small $$$$ compared to the overall project cost.

JPTracker

That makes no sense to me. All major design of that hotel had to be completed before approval was given to start construction. For example, all facades, electrical, mechanical, room layout, services, entrances, and ADA requirements, would have already been designed and layout in the building application, before approval would have been granted. As far as interior design, I guess that might be an issue. But would think that would be small $$$$ compared to the overall project cost.

The way it works is that the design that is submitted for approvals is only complete to a certain point, I think about 25%. This design has all the necessary info for approvals and cost estimates. Also that way if the approval process requires changes it minimizes the cost. All the detail drawings which are required for actual construction are done later. All the plans for the electrical and mechanical systems are usually done last. This is most likely the work that has been stopped.

WoodCore

"Team Beaverkill" is on the hill !! You just can't make this stuff up......

Still trying to figure this one out????? WTF! Either way from here on out the first round of snowmaking at Qburke shall be know as "blowin' the beavers out" per Qdipshit.

*In a somewhat related note, pretty sure I know where Burke gets it's water for snowmaking but looking to confirm. Can anyone help? Thinking they pump from the Passumpsic River up to the holding pond by the Willoughby Quad and then into the pump house and up the mountain? Don't see how else it could function.

VTKilarney

They just posted a new "Most Interesting Bear" ad to their Facebook page. It's not even funny or clever.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still trying to figure this one out????? WTF! Either way from here on out the first round of snowmaking at Qburke shall be know as "blowin' the beavers out" per Qdipshit.

*In a somewhat related note, pretty sure I know where Burke gets it's water for snowmaking but looking to confirm. Can anyone help? Thinking they pump from the Passumpsic River up to the holding pond by the Willoughby Quad and then into the pump house and up the mountain? Don't see how else it could function.

Yes. They pump water from the Passumpsic to that pond. Northern Star added that line and infrastructure from the river in the late 1990's. HUGE improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just heard that the consultants doing the design for the hotel have stopped work because they have run out of money.

You OBVIOUSLY did not hear Little q's official response....or believe it:

56130129.jpg

;)

Last edited:

WoodCore

Yes. They pump water from the Passumpsic to that pond. Northern Star added that line and infrastructure from the river in the late 1990's. HUGE improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thanks for the confirmation on the system!

:beer:

VTKilarney

We just got an email from our children's school saying that the price for the season ski pass has been reduced by $50 for a limited time. They are definitely trying to drum up pass sales with some of the promotions lately.

And keep in mind that Baby-Q is now on record saying that there is no point in making snow prior to December 22nd. I'd like to think that this was a misprint, but I am now really starting to wonder. Only time will tell when "Team Beaverkill" decides to blow some snow.

Last edited:

Masskier

If the hotel has come to a halt, does anyone worry about operating capital for the upcoming season?

Hotel is still on schedule to open December 2015. Not sure why people think things are slowing down. Site work is done for the season. wood framing has started and interior work is ongoing. Tennis and aquatic center is still on track to break ground next year.