• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Puck it

attachment.php

Trails added
Goat Path - old trail back on map just below HSQ unload
Rock Garden - rename blue section of Lower Cannon

Glades added
Whiskey Towne - pretty obvious glade off the cat track to Banshee
Lil' Bertha - off Snowmaker's
The Creek - not obvious but off the first turn of Lower Hard
Amazon - off the run out back to Cannonball on Upper Hard
Wicked Haahhd - off the last turn of Upper Hard. This is one of the ones that you can see off the Saddle Ridge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 397

MadMadWorld

Just came from a great Simmer 'n Brew event at the mountain. Really good night of music, beer, and food. BUT they had their 2014/15 trail maps out. Some unfortunate stuff added to the map. Some previous stashes are now marked. And some stupid trail-count BS has been included. Apparently they're a little embarrassed about this since they haven't updated their online maps. Oh well, so it goes, not surprising but a little disappointing.

What was unfortunate? They all look rather obvious to the eye.

SkiingInABlueDream

Can't say I'm particularly disappointed about the loss of stashes I was never aware of. I always suspected there were lines skier's left of Middle Hard and between Middle & Lower but I only ever found bushwacking the few times I tried to explore in there. Looking forward to actually skiing these "new" glades now. :lol:

bootladder

Secret stashes at Cannon/Mitty

We need to do a poll on which mountain has the most annoying fanboys on AZ. Contenders are:

Cannon
Killington
Jay Peak
Magic
Sundown

Hmmm, maybe this is a poll that should be taken. Keeping sweet tree/glade runs a secret? That sounds like a bit of Cannon snobbery to me.

I don't know about the annoying fanboy dig, not being a regular to this board, but I have certainly met an a$$hole or 2 at Cannon. I actually ski with one of them frequently as possible ;-)

Madroch

Drove by cannon on way to 100k day at wildcat last year- hadn't been there in maybe 30 years- planning to hit it this year day before wildcat 100k- if only because hitting sundown is not an option that day.. :)

freeski

I love Cannon. I love the snow goblins in the winter and the bears in the summer. I've swam in both lakes and the Basin. I've had passes in the past, but this year want to hit some of the other places I like: Killington, Sunday River, Wildcat and Saddleback (for the first time). I've skied Cannon since the T-bars up top and the old tram and hiked around the woods front and back.
When they put in the Tuckerbrook area I hiked up to check out how they built the trails and encountered a very large bear. He was twenty yards away, but scared the hell out of me even though he never looked at me. One cool thing about the mountain is the notch. I've seen it snow so hard that the road is closed and they hold up traffic and have caravans follow a plow and fire truck through. Yep, I love Cannon.

Attachments

• mtX.jpg
    mtX.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 145

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cool weather this morning up in the Notch.

I left Lancaster this morning and there was barely a cloud in the sky. Bluebird day, calm winds. Twin Mountains and that range were totally in the clear, but as you looked to the right, clouding was still looming over the Notch.

Pulled over as I get about 3-4 miles away at a Franconia exit and the wind was whipping and you could see the air mass in the Notch better.

21yi4l.jpg

Pulled off again at Echo Lake to find the clouds in the Notch stacking up into a black mass, but zero rain/moisture as I drove through later

nzozdx.jpg

You can't tell because the picture is static, but the clouds were racing down the slopes at a fast rate of speed, almost like a wave coming over the mountain. Once they reached about the level of Zoomer though, the clouds vanished in thin air and didn't advance any further. Tried to grab a vid with the iPhone, but it came out pretty crappy.

24vipnk.jpg

When I got through the Notch I pulled over in Lincoln and took a picture looking back. It was partly cloudy in the Lincoln area and all the clouds seemed to be getting sucked right into the Notch to stack up and spill over the other side. Zero wind at all at this location. By the time I got to Plymouth, there was barely a cloud in the sky again.

2jbwgec.jpg

Sorry, all I had was a cell phone. I'm not much of a photographer, but figured the Cannon fans would appreciate a few picks none the less.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Cool weather this morning up in the Notch.

I left Lancaster this morning and there was barely a cloud in the sky. Bluebird day, calm winds. Twin Mountains and that range were totally in the clear, but as you looked to the right, clouding was still looming over the Notch.

Pulled over as I get about 3-4 miles away at a Franconia exit and the wind was whipping and you could see the air mass in the Notch better.

21yi4l.jpg

Pulled off again at Echo Lake to find the clouds in the Notch stacking up into a black mass, but zero rain/moisture as I drove through later

nzozdx.jpg

You can't tell because the picture is static, but the clouds were racing down the slopes at a fast rate of speed, almost like a wave coming over the mountain. Once they reached about the level of Zoomer though, the clouds vanished in thin air and didn't advance any further. Tried to grab a vid with the iPhone, but it came out pretty crappy.

24vipnk.jpg

When I got through the Notch I pulled over in Lincoln and took a picture looking back. It was partly cloudy in the Lincoln area and all the clouds seemed to be getting sucked right into the Notch to stack up and spill over the other side. Zero wind at all at this location. By the time I got to Plymouth, there was barely a cloud in the sky again.

2jbwgec.jpg

Sorry, all I had was a cell phone. I'm not much of a photographer, but figured the Cannon fans would appreciate a few picks none the less.

This is what you saw http://www.aviationweather.ws/099_Mountain_Wave_Soaring.php

Happens alot over Wildcat, Was there a bunch of years ago , Mt washington covered in clouds, clear in the valley all day and clouds boiling up slope 3/4 way up snow flurries of and on.
Awsome from above , although I havent seen Mount washington first hand

granite

Cannon is my home mountain. The biggest problem I have though is they open late and close early. If they wanted to, they could be the KING of fall and spring. Cannonball from the summit to the bottom of the Cannonball Lift with its elevation, north facing slope and snow making capability could be open from October to June every year.

AdironRider

I'm pretty sure every mountain homer is 100% positive their respective mountain could open first and close last, every year.

Puck it

Cannon is my home mountain. The biggest problem I have though is they open late and close early. If they wanted to, they could be the KING of fall and spring. Cannonball from the summit to the bottom of the Cannonball Lift with its elevation, north facing slope and snow making capability could be open from October to June every year.

Discussed way to many times before.

freeski

I'm pretty sure every mountain homer is 100% positive their respective mountain could open first and close last, every year.
In this case it's true. Not only do they have the mountain as Granite said, but they are close enough to Boston and central to enough of New England for it to be financial feasible. I always hear run the tram to the top. No, the tram is too expensive; you can take the Peabody Quad up and down to the upper mountain (no walking). You've got 7 unique trails up top so you would have an advantage over other early openers. When you look at snow retention and access to skiers Cannon is the best mountain in New England for early and late season. I'd like to see them at least try one year.