• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mtn. 2016-17

4aprice

I feel like there's as many bump enthusiastic skiers as park skiers and crotched does well with parks.....

CBK Pa. our local mountain, is about the same size as Crotched. We've been debating the same subject for years, and to their credit they seemed to have listened. The fact is with these smaller areas, a good mogul trail, makes the mountain ski a little bit larger and of course areas like these are all about practice practice, practice. Snowmaking and expansion are always their no. 1 concern but once its all down, they get it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

Very happy with the conditions at Crotched today. Light traffic meant that most runs didn't get scraped bits until after lunch. Jupiter's was firm in spots (my skis could use a shop tune) but most trails were groomed out very nicely. I did venture down Solstice trail but it was a bit sketchy in spots. All considered with the recent weather I'm surprised it was even skiable.

With the current forecast will Pluto's be open for the holiday week?

snoseek

CBK Pa. our local mountain, is about the same size as Crotched. We've been debating the same subject for years, and to their credit they seemed to have listened. The fact is with these smaller areas, a good mogul trail, makes the mountain ski a little bit larger and of course areas like these are all about practice practice, practice. Snowmaking and expansion are always their no. 1 concern but once its all down, they get it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Overall in real happy with how its ran vs when I skied there as a kid. Its a great little place and an easy drive for a quick session

yeggous

Was there today. I expected more coverage. A lot of areas were surprisingly thin including a few ugly rocks on Moon Walk. They need water badly.

Magnitude was my pick of the day. Meteor could have used better grooming. Snow was good but you can tell they had a slalom course on it recently and didn't do a good job leveling it out. Weather was great though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Was there today. I expected more coverage. A lot of areas were surprisingly thin including a few ugly rocks on Moon Walk. They need water badly.

Magnitude was my pick of the day. Meteor could have used better grooming. Snow was good but you can tell they had a slalom course on it recently and didn't do a good job leveling it out. Weather was great though.

Did you get a Mug Club?! Get those edges sharp. Racing begins soon!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Sounds like a lot of AZers were here today. I met ski-it.

After the interchange about moguls on this thread, I ran into the GM who had already seen your comments on moguls and assured me (and by extension, you) that moguls will be on the way. The only question is: on how many trails? Naturally, weather or a snow drought could derail those plans.

I thought that the AM was wonderful and the trails well groomed, but it did get fast in the afternoon. At that time, I did switch skis to a freshly sharpened pair and it was nice to be able to grip the surface rather than side slip it.

As to Pluto's: The pond is coming back slowly. I don't know if there is enough water to do Pluto's. With the dry summer, the ground water isn't replenishing the pond as fast as in past years.

Edd

When I was there on Wednesday the tune shop was closed but a rental guy said it was open Thursday. Did it just open for the season or is it only open certain days?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
When I was there on Wednesday the tune shop was closed but a rental guy said it was open Thursday. Did it just open for the season or is it only open certain days?
It's usually open daily - but this is still early season. That being said, if this was night skiing, I don't recall there being anyone on duty to do tuning in the evening.

xwhaler

Would be curious to know this as well as I plan to get my skis tuned before race league starts. I got my skis tuned from CM once before and was quite happy with the results.

deadheadskier

Staff member
After the interchange about moguls on this thread, I ran into the GM who had already seen your comments on moguls and assured me (and by extension, you) that moguls will be on the way. The only question is: on how many trails? .

Thanks for the update Joshua. I'll be around Crotched in the morning for a short session before departing for family holiday commitments in the afternoon. Hopefully I run into you

And lurking Crotched GM. I hope you're reading this. I love this news. I'll also say that us bump fans aren't greedy; especially with a smaller mountain. While multiple trails would be great, really just one season long dedicated bump trail that's well taken care of is all we're asking for. We want to show up at the mountain and know there's going to be bumps to ski. Just like those who like terrain parks want to know there's going to be a park to ski/ride pretty much all season long. Or those who want groomed slopes who want 90% of the hill groomed to perfection every morning. ;) Half of UFO/Equinox all the way down to Shooting Star with well maintained bumps from Xmas week through the end of the season would be so well appreciated by your advanced skiers on the mountain. thanks

Quietman

I 2nd that, with another small request. I realize that the fan guns don't quite reach across Pluto's to cover under the rocket. But a little groomer pushing snow to provide coverage would be really helpful when it is allowed to bump up. There are a couple of really sharp rocks that have taken a toll on my skis. That being said, lets hope for lots of natural so my request is moot!! Better yet, I want enough now to open the woods, then I won't give a crap about the groomers! :snow:

Last edited:

thebigo

Would be curious to know this as well as I plan to get my skis tuned before race league starts. I got my skis tuned from CM once before and was quite happy with the results.

I dropped mine at the rental desk to get tuned on thursday, said there was no one available but they could get them done overnight. Picked them up first Friday morning, cost was $30. I usually get them done at golf/ski in greenland, will say that golf/ski does a better job but they quoted a seven day turnaround when I called this week, not an option mid season.

I thought today was good, did not venture into the woods, Jupiter's was in much better shape than thursday. Brought my 70 year old dad, he was so impressed said he was going to buy a pass next year, don't think he has ever had one.

Good news on the bumps, even better to know that management is listening to their customers. Spent some time thinking about this today and despite my comments yesterday think ufo may be a better choice than Jupiter's for a bump run.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Thanks for the update Joshua. I'll be around Crotched in the morning for a short session before departing for family holiday commitments in the afternoon. Hopefully I run into you

I always enjoy meeting fellow AZers and I'm at CM 95% of the days they are open. That being said, I have an 11AM appointment in Boston, so I will try to rip 3 to 5 runs in the 40 minutes I have this AM and hope to meet you another day.

Re: Bumps
I must say, I am thrilled at the quantity of AZers calling for bumps. It's good that management knows that paying guests want them and not just a handful of (non-paying) instructors.

Jully

And lurking Crotched GM. I hope you're reading this. I love this news. I'll also say that us bump fans aren't greedy; especially with a smaller mountain. While multiple trails would be great, really just one season long dedicated bump trail that's well taken care of is all we're asking for. We want to show up at the mountain and know there's going to be bumps to ski. Just like those who like terrain parks want to know there's going to be a park to ski/ride pretty much all season long. Or those who want groomed slopes who want 90% of the hill groomed to perfection every morning. ;) Half of UFO/Equinox all the way down to Shooting Star with well maintained bumps from Xmas week through the end of the season would be so well appreciated by your advanced skiers on the mountain. thanks

Yes! All i need is half of a well maintained trail!

That is very exciting news though.

yeggous

The base depths are really thin. Rocks, gravel, and dirt showing all over the place. They blew a bit overnight on Plutos. I would rather have seen them reinforcing the thin areas which are pervasive.

Edd

Curious about crowds today. I came close to going, but my hangover won the day.

Edd

Oh yeah, if anyone is a Mexican food fan, La Cabana in New Boston (not far from Crotched) does not suck at all.

yeggous

Oh yeah, if anyone is a Mexican food fan, La Cabana in New Boston (not far from Crotched) does not suck at all.

You are the second Crotched person this week to speak highly of that place. Crowds were typical of a weekend. Minimal line and only after the lift stops for a minute.