• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
-The Burlington Free Press publishes an article today claiming that cash flow issues will force Jay Peak and Q Burke Hotel (not the mountain, mind you) to close. But it seems the receivership of both properties – Q Burke Hotel was added to the receivership as well – was floated a $750,000 loan to keep the doors open for the next three months. Chill, people! Title is suggested to TGR that reads "Burke Mountain and Jay Peak Plan to Operate Normally In Opposition to Media Yelling 'Closed!' For Clicks."
Well - if that's true it's a relief - as long as no Q's are involved.

oops.
Stenger's sons remain employees at Jay Peak, and Ary Quiros, the controversial CEO of "Q" Burke Mountain Resort, remains employed there as well.

yeggous

That is what I heard, plus all safety sensors detectors need to be replaced. That 4 mill could probably be better spent until they get an new owner. Pretty short hike or skin from the flyer for goods on the ridge which would mostly be untouched.
Green Beret can be pretty enjoyable on a pow day first traxs

The tram cost $2M to build back in the 1960s. That would be more like $15M scaled for inflation.

fbrissette

Is there any way they could put a bubble on the Freezer, or would that just result in way too many more wind holds?

This questions has been asked often. The north ridge is just too windy. In addition, they've mentioned that bubbles on a detachable makes it even more susceptible to wind.

fbrissette

Pretty short hike or skin from the flyer for goods on the ridge which would mostly be untouched.
Green Beret can be pretty enjoyable on a pow day first traxs

Personnally, I'd be happy with a winter with no tram. However, with no Tram , there would not be any grooming to the top so the short hike would be exponentially harder. The ridge would ski beautifully most of the year,

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Personnally, I'd be happy with a winter with no tram. However, with no Tram , there would not be any grooming to the top so the short hike would be exponentially harder. The ridge would ski beautifully most of the year,

If that happened, I wonder if they would keep a snowcat shuttle at the top of the Flyer to shuttle guests up to the Summit Haus for events? That would keep a pretty good path packed in for hiking, unless there was a fresh snowfall with drifting :).

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it is very likely that the Tram will be repaired and running as normal. That is a crucial piece of infrastructure.

River19

Ahem. The Cayenne is not a Porsche any more than a Mini is a BMW or a tranny is a woman.
Carry on.

Porsche has only ever made two real cars.....the 356 and the 911......right? lol

Sure there were some fantastic vehicles with the logo worthy of praise (944, 928, come to mind)....but........I digress.

Back on topic.....lol

LONGBOARDR

If that happened, I wonder if they would keep a snowcat shuttle at the top of the Flyer to shuttle guests up to the Summit Haus for events? That would keep a pretty good path packed in for hiking, unless there was a fresh snowfall with drifting :).

They would groom it since they need access to the telecommunications gear up there, and microwave repeaters.
Jay would lose a bit of food revenue but save on 8-10 full time salaries, not having to make snow on upper northway vermonter. 4+ million is a lot of dough when you have none and everyone is owed money.
The other lifts could use some love too. I'd give it a real hard look based on my view from 242

Zermatt

I think it is very likely that the Tram will be repaired and running as normal. That is a crucial piece of infrastructure.

Just a gut feeling? Seems to be an essential piece of equipment but nobody is working for free and Jay has no credit.

Lots of wishcasting

VTKilarney

They are trying to open a line of credit. A lot is going to depend on that. One bank executive I spoke with today said that he wouldn't touch Jay with a ten foot pole right now. Hopefully someone out there will.

yeggous

You're got to give real thought to abandoning the tram until receivership is over. It sucks my they've got some numbers to crunch.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

What's notable is that their small profit has come only by putting extremely little into the mountain infrastructure. Let's be honest. Jay could easily use about $20 million worth of infrastructure improvements. That's 7-10 years worth of their "profit". And pretty soon the hotels are going to need some capital expenditures. It's not a business for the timid.

Zermatt

They are trying to open a line of credit. A lot is going to depend on that. One bank executive I spoke with today said that he wouldn't touch Jay with a ten foot pole right now. Hopefully someone out there will.

That was my feeling, no bank will touch them. They have no collateral, the assets are all tainted with potentially stolen funds. They may not have any reliable financial records either.

Zermatt

What's notable is that their small profit has come only by putting extremely little into the mountain infrastructure. Let's be honest. Jay could easily use about $20 million worth of infrastructure improvements. That's 7-10 years worth of their "profit". And pretty soon the hotels are going to need some capital expenditures. It's not a business for the timid.

Who says they have a profit? Is there audited financial information?

Could be a great business if you pick it up for a $1 and no debt....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just a gut feeling? Seems to be an essential piece of equipment but nobody is working for free and Jay has no credit.

Lots of wishcasting

I doubt the receiver will not fix it. That was part of his (now granted) request.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The Sneak

Porsche has only ever made two real cars.....the 356 and the 911......right? lol

Sure there were some fantastic vehicles with the logo worthy of praise (944, 928, come to mind)....but........I digress.

Back on topic.....lol

Close.
Cayman
...all also great

I don't wanna derail this wonderful thread.

944S2, sure why not.

BenedictGomez

BG, I just read your other post on Burke....I hear ya, I seldom take it when I am up there. I only take it when there is no line. It is an alternative when the Flyer craps out however. I think I ski from the top every other third year!

Join the club. That's the general consensus. The Tram is for the vacationing hoards and folks who ski 2 days per year. It's a shame, because there is great terrain off the top of Jay, but the Tram gives you herpes.

Personnally, I'd be happy with a winter with no tram. However, with no Tram , there would not be any grooming to the top so the short hike would be exponentially harder.

You'll think differently when the "Jerry of the day" crowd normally lapping the Tram, makes the other lift lines intolerably long.