• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
In related news:
The Trout River Brewery is closed (as of Nov 1st).
Rumor is the people that are going to take over the Pub Outback location are also buying Trout River. Whether they are buying the entire business or simply the brewing equipment remains to be seen.

VTKilarney

In related news:
Rumor is the people that are going to take over the Pub Outback location are also buying Trout River. Whether they are buying the entire business or simply the brewing equipment remains to be seen.
That would be VERY good news if it happens. The Trout River location in Lyndon was pretty lousy and Burke would be a major improvement.

I heard, though, that the Pub Outback's facilities had really been neglected. I hope that if this happens they put some money into renovations.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That would be VERY good news if it happens. The Trout River location in Lyndon was pretty lousy and Burke would be a major improvement.

I heard, though, that the Pub Outback's facilities had really been neglected. I hope that if this happens they put some money into renovations.

My thinking is they keep the brewery in Lyndonville since it is a good location for commercial traffic. Additionally, I don't think the shared septic system that the Pub Outback building is hooked up to in East Burke would be able to handle the output of a full scale brewery.

VTKilarney

I have never stopped in east Burke when going to burke. Lyndon always seemed like a better location
Lyndon has LOTS of casual dining options. This is both good and bad. It's bad because there is precious little room for a new entrant. A new restaurant has opened up in the former Vinny's location on Route 5. I wish them luck, but it's a tough spot for a restaurant.

The problem with being in East Burke is that there is NO reason to drive from Lyndon to Burke for casual dining, so you really are dependent on the people in Burke itself. That makes it a tough business, and I think the business that can make the best go of it are places like the Tiki Bar and the Food Truck that can keep their overhead very low. Burke's shorter than normal ski season does not help. From mid-March through well into May it is a dead season. The same can be said for early-November through mid-December. It's hard for a business to absorb those dead periods.

On the other hand, for all of the casual restaurants that Lyndon has, they don't have anything that is remotely upscale. So Burke could draw people from the Lyndon area for that type of dining.

I've always been underwhelmed by Juniper's, although I keep rooting for them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have never stopped in east Burke when going to burke. Lyndon always seemed like a better location

Same. If I were looking to open a year round restaurant in that area, it would be in downtown Lyndonville and not up by the ski area. I'd want my place to be where the year round population of people is.

Burke the ski area is actually closer to downtown Lyndonville, than Stowe the ski area is from downtown Stowe. Yet, in my few times through the area, there doesn't seem to be much of an association between the town of Lyndonville and the ski area of Burke. Maybe there is, but Lyndonville doesn't "feel" like a town to take a vacation in. I would think a nicer lodging facility and associated restaurant in the town of Lyndon would do just as much for that area as an on hill lodging facility.

VTKilarney

There was recently one chef who tried something slightly more upscale in Lyndon. He was the owner of Timbuktu's. He had some genuine talent. And it went over like a lead balloon. He had to dumb down the menu, and then he was just one of the herd. The restaurant eventually closed.

I've never understood why there are so many casual restaurants in Lyndon, and also why nothing nicer has been able to make a go of it.

I do agree that Lyndon and East Burke feel entirely separated even though they are physically quite close.

VTKilarney

BTW, a really good choice for those heading to Burke Mountain is the Kingdom Taproom in St. Johnsbury. It's well worth the short drive from the highway.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was recently one chef who tried something slightly more upscale in Lyndon. He was the owner of Timbuktu's. He had some genuine talent. And it went over like a lead balloon. He had to dumb down the menu, and then he was just one of the herd. The restaurant eventually closed.

I've never understood why there are so many casual restaurants in Lyndon, and also why nothing nicer has been able to make a go of it.

I do agree that Lyndon and East Burke feel entirely separated even though they are physically quite close.

A place need not be high end fine dining and "adventurous" to be good. The busiest restaurant in Stowe (by millions in revenue) is Piecasso. The place is absolutely jammed and it's so much more than just a pizza place. The chef they have has done all the high bro experimental type fine dining food in many places, but knows the market and what people want. I bet a similar restaurant would kill it in Lyndonville.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

I know that chef quite well and it is too bad it didn't work out for him. I had discussions with him about how many restaurants there are in the area and how hard it is to break into that market and be successful.
IMHO, the biggest problem for "Upscale" in Lyndonville is there isn't a very large pool of upper middle class/upper class people in town. Most of the wealthier folks are in the surrounding towns (Danville, Newark, Burke). St Johnsbury has a pretty good base of wealthy that is made up of old money and new money (NVRH doctors,etc). Add to that the general tastes in Lyndonville tend to lean toward diner style foods and upscale struggles.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've always been underwhelmed by Juniper's, although I keep rooting for them.

Juniper's and that whole operation have as of late had some serious issues related to a couple management decisions that got them some very bad press and embroiled them in at least two separate lawsuits. Locals know what I am talking about. It's too bad because they've been longtime members of the community and have invested a lot of money into the place. And it was run pretty well.

BenedictGomez

In related news:

Not shocking. Trout River beer was subpar, and it's getting tougher and tougher to get away with "subpar" beer these days with all the outstanding offerings and quality upstarts.

I'm looking at you, Long Trail Brewing Company.

BenedictGomez

It just dawned on me after looking at that logo 100 times that the circle around the bear thing is actually not a circle, but a 'Q'.

It's so barely visible/detectible as the letter 'Q' that it almost makes me wonder if they went with a local graphic design company that tried to minimize the 'Q' as much as possible. LOL

deadheadskier

Staff member
Long Trail will be just fine. I don't ever see them closing down. They are probably the largest "microbrewery" in New England next to Harpoon. Some of their small batch brews are pretty darn good too.

LT Ale while not first class, is an easy drinking every day Ale and I still buy it from time to time when I'm looking for a cheap six pack. They at least price it accordingly.

VTKilarney

It just dawned on me after looking at that logo 100 times that the circle around the bear thing is actually not a circle, but a 'Q'.
I have to confess that it took me several months to notice that as well. Not that I am complaining.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Not shocking. Trout River beer was subpar, and it's getting tougher and tougher to get away with "subpar" beer these days with all the outstanding offerings and quality upstarts.

I'm looking at you, Long Trail Brewing Company.

In its heyday it was relatively good. Trout River was one of the first micro-brews that sprang up in the mid-90's. They had a solid product with Rainbow Red. They released some other pretty decent beers as well. However, the last couple of years the quality really started slipping. I think the owner just got tired of trying to keep up with the pack once the market started rounding out with, as you say, "quality upstarts" like Hill Farmstead.