• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

AdironRider

Not shocking. Trout River beer was subpar, and it's getting tougher and tougher to get away with "subpar" beer these days with all the outstanding offerings and quality upstarts.

I'm looking at you, Long Trail Brewing Company.

I'm with you on everything, but the LT Double Bag used to be my go to back in the day. Everything else was shit though.

xwhaler

The beer is not 1st rate by any means but about 3 yrs ago wife and I skied Burke for the 1st time and hit up Trout River on way up for beers/pizza. I liked the place quite a bit for the micro brewed beer and tasty pizza combination

thetrailboss

Staff member
The beer is not 1st rate by any means but about 3 yrs ago wife and I skied Burke for the 1st time and hit up Trout River on way up for beers/pizza. I liked the place quite a bit for the micro brewed beer and tasty pizza combination

Their pizza was exceptional.

VTKilarney

Their pizza was exceptional.
I stopped going a long time ago because they allowed reservations in a pizza place. We would sit around for half an hour while two out of every three tables had a "reserved" sign on them and nobody showed up to use them.

VTKilarney

Does anyone know if Burke rents seasonal lockers in the Sherburne lodge? I know someone who wanted a locker, but they aren't sure if it's a good idea to rent a locker up at Mid-Burke now that there is hardly any parking left.

mister moose

I'm with you on everything, but the LT Double Bag used to be my go to back in the day. Everything else was shit though.

I pretty much think everything they do is substantially overrated. Especially the IPA, which is not even "fair", IMHO.

I never had much use for the Hibernator or Pollenator. The original generic IPA is entry level meh. Blackberry Wheat is ok for what it is. The Original LT Ale is a decent beer. Double Bag is good. They did a limited triple bag one year that was good. Harvest is muddled.

Much has changed in the last 2 years.

The Farmhouse series of IPAs is extremely worthwhile. Great flavor, balance and nose, and while not world class, they are affordable big steps up from the generic IPAs that littered the landscape in the pre-Heady days. They have done many impressive limited releases in their Brown Bag, Brush and Barrel, and Brewmaster series. Limbo is very good. They had a keg only beer summer of '13 called Mountain Jam, or something like that I thought was excellent. They did a collaborative fresh hop flavored malted ice cream with Woodstock Creamery that was very good. I haven't had the new Sick Day IPA yet, but will soon.

So if you judge Long Trail from what is on tap in Dover, St Johnsbury, or Ludlow, or what is in the cooler at your local liquor store, you aren't getting the whole story. There's a lot of fresh ideas and good beer coming out of Bridgewater. As well as the unremarkable standards.

Big Wave Dave

Juniper's and that whole operation have as of late had some serious issues related to a couple management decisions that got them some very bad press and embroiled them in at least two separate lawsuits. Locals know what I am talking about. It's too bad because they've been longtime members of the community and have invested a lot of money into the place. And it was run pretty well.

Trailboss, is this speculation on your part? Whats the "second" issue- presume the no same sex marriage weddings was #1? I have always been a fan of Junipers, the beef from the farm next door and other local connections are great, and I have long admired the working family that ran the Inn. They are exceptional people. I agree that they made one very critical error, especially in Vermont, but do you know if that has impaired the viability of the business? My perception is its close relationship with Kingdom Trails has allowed it to continue with not much downturn. Too bad they actually violated a statute, I am for equality but have alot of respect for religious rights also.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss, is this speculation on your part? Whats the "second" issue- presume the no same sex marriage weddings was #1? I have always been a fan of Junipers, the beef from the farm next door and other local connections are great, and I have long admired the working family that ran the Inn. They are exceptional people. I agree that they made one very critical error, especially in Vermont, but do you know if that has impaired the viability of the business? My perception is its close relationship with Kingdom Trails has allowed it to continue with not much downturn. Too bad they actually violated a statute, I am for equality but have alot of respect for religious rights also.

Speculation, no not at all.

They have been in two suits: (1) the same sex marriage issue, and (2) their long bitter fight over erecting the illuminated cross. The latter resulted in several years of litigation and an appeal to the Vermont Supreme Court.

Masskier

Speculation, no not at all.

They have been in two suits: (1) the same sex marriage issue, and (2) their long bitter fight over erecting the illuminated cross. The latter resulted in several years of litigation and an appeal to the Vermont Supreme Court.

That really is a beautiful Chapel that he built and then pretty much gave to the community

VTKilarney

Wow! That's great news! Are they testing the new guns they got this week or is this for real? If it's the former, you should have included that fact. If it's the latter, hooray!

VTKilarney

Their Facebook page says that "Team Beaverkill" was blowing snow still at 2:00 AM. Still no word on whether it is a push to open earlier than scheduled.

BenedictGomez

Their Facebook page says that "Team Beaverkill"

WTH is the deal with this?

It's either:

A) A reference to trapping/killing beaver
B) A reference to ******* women

Neither is a very intelligent name from a PR perspective.

That said, I wasn't born yesterday and realize that snowmaking crews are normally virtually 100% men, and skew young. It's obviously a sexual reference, and I'm guessing whoever runs Burke's social media campaign isn't a threat to cure cancer. My guess is they'll say it has something to do with the Beaverkill river, which is not in Vermont, but come on......