• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush AlpineZone Day: Friday, 3/21/08

Does Good Friday, March 21, 2008, work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
This is my position: I'm really interested in meeting the folks and if I get some skiing in, all the better. I'd be happy fooling around on North Lynx, Gatehouse, and hopefully Bravo. I have a group of folks I am really looking forward to seeing....

But then again I have a pass and have nothing to lose.

I say let's not be wishy washy lil !%&%s and stick to the original plan. I have found in the past that if I lived by weather predicitions, I would have missed half of some of the greatest times in my life. Then again, it may be crap but at least it's not work and these are the chances you take. Win, where do you want to meet up :lol:

My approach was going to be to play it by ear. When I use a chip to leave the wife and kids, even if it's just one night, I normally try to be flexible and get some time in on terrain that I prefer. Easy for guys that usually have passes at mountains in Vermont to say "oh, just suck it up." Call me selfish, I guess.

Nevertheless, Win is being very generous hosting AZers and as the site's admin, I am going to be there. The camaraderie will make up for any limited terrain. Hopefully the winds will lighten up overnight or the upper lifts will open later in the day tomorrow.

all kidding aside, i dont see anything wrong with people making contigency plans. i know what a long haul it is so people shouldnt be chastised if they want to leave their options open.

that being said, i'll see whoever ends up at the bush tomorrow.

who's drinking with me tonight, more importantly?

i'll be at the golden lion by 7ish. leaving now, gotta make a pit stop in manchester hn.

As a fellow SNE skier with little kids, it doesn't surprise me that you understand, but again, I'm going to stick with Sugarbush tomorrow too, even if we only get Gatehouse. If you're not passed out drunk later tonight, I'll throw back a few with you. I won't be up to the Lion until probably after 11 pm though.

Here are my thoughts. We have incredible icing on the lift lines and our maintenance team is chipping away at them. We should have some more lifts turning soon. It is snowing and the surfaces are getting a lot better. I think by tomorrow from here North in Vermont is going to have some excellent skiing and riding through the weekend. The big question is the wind, and the forecast is for some of the strongest NW winds of the winter tonight and into tomorrow morning. Hopefully, they will start to come down earlier rather than later in the day. I would guess that the trees are going to be great tomorrow and for the weekend and that all the trails will be good to very good as well given what is falling from the skies now and what fell the past two days. Already there has been a big improvement from early this morning!

The good news is that the duration of the season is being helped by what came out of the sky yesterday. Very little rain, snow and sleet and then freezing rain last night, so no loss of snow pack.

I think Win is right, and not just spinning. We didn't even have much loss in the valley and it's snowing even down here. By tomorrow, the surfaces should be just fine at SB. I don't know about wind, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Sounds good. Let's just hope the winds die down...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg--I wasn't saying "suck it up" at all....I was just saying that I really don't care...and want to be with the AZer's.

Greg

Staff member
Greg--I wasn't saying "suck it up" at all....I was just saying that I really don't care...and want to be with the AZer's.

Then why didn't you come down to the Hunter gathering in December? Oh right. Probably a pretty long drive for limited terrain... ;)

No worries. I was being selfish. I will be gracing you all with my presence tomorrow. :lol:

noski

....or you can sit in the GL hot tub and eat cookies (baked and delivered at noon today) while you wait for the wind to die down....

downhill04

Nevertheless, Win is being very generous hosting AZers and as the site's admin, I am going to be there. The camaraderie will make up for any limited terrain. Hopefully the winds will lighten up overnight or the upper lifts will open later in the day tomorrow.

Is Win giving AZers free lift tickets?:smile:

Greg

Staff member
Is Win giving AZers free lift tickets?:smile:

No, but he is offering us $49 lift tickets. That's a very nice gesture.

So....the next question is who's giving the tour of Slide Brook? :-o

Greg

Staff member
OK then, I'll say it. Greg suck it up! I'm driving in for one day from joisey, you don't see me whinin like a lil baby ;)

Yeah, but you can't handle the upper mountain terrain anyway...

Doh! :-o Yes, I did... :lol:

;) Just kidding Zee man... :beer:

gmcunni

any know if Sugarbush considers this a holiday weekend and if so, would lifts open @ 8 AM tomorrow instead of the regular weekday 9 AM?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Yeah, but you can't handle the upper mountain terrain anyway...

Doh! :-o Yes, I did... :lol:

;) Just kidding Zee man... :beer:

Damn, it could really suck having this 250 lbs dude accidentally falling on top of your lil scrawny ass cause he was skiing behind you trying to prove he could handle upper mountain terrain. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Damn, it could really suck having this 250 lbs dude accidentally falling on top of your lil scrawny ass cause he was skiing behind you trying to prove he could handle upper mountain terrain. :lol:

Not even worried. I'll just put Brian in between us to slow you down. Not that you can even catch me anyway... ;)

Greg

Staff member
Dude, sounds like a challenge. Be forwarned, I may not have the purtiest form, but I'm not scared of speed. 250 lbs coming at you! :)

:-o

See you tonight/tomorrow. You're staying at the Lion, right?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I do hear of the single going on wind hold, but I think it spins more often than say Heaven's Gate or Summit on a windy day. Part of it is wind direction, not just wind speed. I really hope Castlerock spins tomorrow. I'll just do laps over there.
Spot on. MRG can often spin when upper mountain lifts at the Bush can not. But as you mentioned, wind direction will be a factor. And the Double and Single head in different directions and have different wind issues. Jay already has 8" and counting, the prospect of driving over to Bush and having the place on lift hold while Jay is pushing well over a foot is not promising. Packing my skins just in case and heading to Jay tomorrow. Hope you all have good luck in the Valley regardless which mountain you end up at and perhaps another day I be able to share some more turns with y'all.