• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015/16 Snow tire thread

wa-loaf

For the last few years I've been using General Altimax Arctic snows and have been very happy with them.

Any reason I shouldn't just get a new set? Or am I missing out on something new?

octopus

BLIZZAK! maybe i just like the name, but they seem to work pretty well on the diesel golf.

yeggous

I've sported all-seasons on my truck and SUV for my entire life. This year I'm thinking about switching to Michelin X-Ice 2s.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

Interesting. I, too, have been running the General Altimax. While I've been generally happy, I was thinking I may be able to find something better. What about the Nokian Hakkapellittas?

They seem to be the best option, but also the most expensive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've found the General Altimax to be plenty fine. I had some Haks on an old Honda years ago and they were great. I've also had Firestone winterforce and while the grip was fine, they got appreciably louder than other snows over time.

JDMRoma

I've sported all-seasons on my truck and SUV for my entire life. This year I'm thinking about switching to Michelin X-Ice 2s.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

I've been running Michelins for years on Matrix's. Not sure you can get x2s anymore. I have the Xi3s now and love them. Best prices were from TireRack

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

ALLSKIING

Staff member
How many miles are you guys getting on them. I drive a ton and tow a lot as well. For those reasons I always went with AT tires but would prefer snows for winter.