• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man, it sure is quiet around here

ironhippy

ha, I guess that's why we're still here. I have a fake facebook account I use to check things that are only on facebook.

I much prefer discussion boards, but they are disappearing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely think Facebook is the primary reason.

I was a long time member of the now defunct Gathering of the Vibes message board. Ten years ago that forum had several hundred very active members. In its hay day its main general forum would see 100s of posts per hour. As soon as Facebook came along, participation dropped tremendously to the point of basically a trickle before being shut down.

I think what people like about Facebook is the greater diversity of content and the one stop shopping. If you got ten minutes to kill you can very quickly see what your ski buddies are up to, conditions at your favorite mountain is like, check in on family and old friends, local sports team discussion; all by scrolling down one webpage.

The only disadvantages of FB, which has been mentioned by others, is it's not the best format for cataloging discussions and you forfeit some privacy / anonymity.

Puck it

I definitely think Facebook is the primary reason.

I was a long time member of the now defunct Gathering of the Vibes message board. Ten years ago that forum had several hundred very active members. In its hay day its main general forum would see 100s of posts per hour. As soon as Facebook came along, participation dropped tremendously to the point of basically a trickle before being shut down.

I think what people like about Facebook is the greater diversity of content and the one stop shopping. If you got ten minutes to kill you can very quickly see what your ski buddies are up to, conditions at your favorite mountain is like, check in on family and old friends, local sports team discussion; all by scrolling down one webpage.

The only disadvantages of FB, which has been mentioned by others, is it's not the best format for cataloging discussions and you forfeit some privacy / anonymity.
You left off if I wanted people to know what I was doing I would tell them personally not the whole world. If I wanted to be be friends with old high school friends I would have stayed in touch. And if I want to talk to you asshats, I would just come on here.

Edd

You left off if I wanted people to know what I was doing I would tell them personally not the whole world. If I wanted to be be friends with old high school friends I would have stayed in touch. And if I want to talk to you asshats, I would just come on here.

Agree. I'd like to get on the Facebook train, but there's something viscerally wrong about it to me. I've tried several times but can't do it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have to say one feature I really like on Facebook is it's messenger. It is vastly superior to standard text messaging; especially for group conversations. It's so much better than standard Android or iPhone texting that if I'm friends with someone on FB, it is unlikely I will use regular text messages to contact that person. I probably use that feature more than the standard FB application itself.

Cannonball

Agree. I'd like to get on the Facebook train, but there's something viscerally wrong about it to me. I've tried several times but can't do it.

This.
Like other people have mentioned, I have a couple of fake accounts in case I want to access info that's only on FB. But I would never put my own name on there.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
but I seek knowledge / advice and that always brings out the posters lol. It's re: wildlife. My daughter and I have noticed a small quick animal around the house that gets active when we go to/from driveway and by bushes at front of house - at night. Usual animals - squirrels chipmunks - aren't nocturnal. Driving us crazy because it's dark and we can hear it but can't see it. Seems about small squirrel size. She saw a fisher cat out her window last week in the trees but from the sound of the scurrying we hear, that seems too big. We're in Boston burbs.
Mice never sleep ... it seems. I had them scurrying around in my ceiling. They were LOUD. So I thought I had squirrels too. But an exterminator told me they were only mice. Set some traps and even poison - several dead mice later - no more scurrying noises.

skiNEwhere

Mice never sleep ... it seems. I had them scurrying around in my ceiling. They were LOUD. So I thought I had squirrels too. But an exterminator told me they were only mice. Set some traps and even poison - several dead mice later - no more scurrying noises.

I just started having a problem with chipmunks in the house.... They bury under the foundation, get into the crawl space and wedge into the walls. I can hear them at night and it drives me absolutely crazy to think how much insulation is getting torn up and how they are probably defecating all over the place in there.

I bought some live traps, but I've only caught two. Most of them don't weigh enough to trip the switch. Tried mouse traps but the chipmunks are too big for them to work, so I tried the next larger size of mouse traps, but those are too big and not sensitive enough to deploy. I'll come back to the trap and the food will be gone with no chipmunk in it.

I've started with the most humane methods which aren't working so I'm going to try something different. I've heard a pretty cheap and effective method is to fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with water and put a bunch of sunflower seeds in it. Then lean a 2x4 against the top of the bucket and put sunflower seeds on that too. Chipmunk jumps in and drowns. If that doesn't work then I'll use those sticky traps.

I don't want to use poison though since it doesn't work immediately and the chipmunks may just hide in wall and die there.

(Yes this conversation has taken a right turn)

Domeskier

When Dave had trouble with the chipmunks, he just took away their hula hoop. I think that strategy failed with the fat green one.

prsboogie

I have to say one feature I really like on Facebook is it's messenger. It is vastly superior to standard text messaging; especially for group conversations. It's so much better than standard Android or iPhone texting that if I'm friends with someone on FB, it is unlikely I will use regular text messages to contact that person. I probably use that feature more than the standard FB application itself.

I too like the messenger feature. The only time I go on the web page now is if someone asks if I saw something they posted. I don't even have the app on my phone anymore. Just the messenger app. Once in a while I will add pics in Instagram and share them on FB but that is rare too.

Cannonball

The FB messenger app/feature is like mainlining the Internet into the vein of your personal information. There has probably been no other app more implicated in snagging your identity.

ctenidae

When Dave had trouble with the chipmunks, he just took away their hula hoop. I think that strategy failed with the fat green one.

That fat bastard couldn't fit in the hula hoop, anyway. Following Dave's lead, yelling and threatening grounding doesn't work either, so you should probably just resign yourself to waiting for the situation to resolve itself and the rodents to conveniently learn their lesson on their own.

Re: FB, I have an account I set up to get my brothers to shut up, but there is nothing on it now, and I only log on occasionally to double check privacy settings and un-tag myself from pictures. I haven't deleted the account because it seems overly aggressive. Or something. I do, however, actively avoid businesses that force a FB login to access information.

Domeskier

That fat bastard couldn't fit in the hula hoop, anyway. Following Dave's lead, yelling and threatening grounding doesn't work either, so you should probably just resign yourself to waiting for the situation to resolve itself and the rodents to conveniently learn their lesson on their own.

Luckily that usually only takes about half an hour, and you can pretty much do what you want with their royalties because courts probably aren't interested in cases filed by chipmunks. With a little patience and a few tiny monogrammed nightshirts, SkiNEwhere is all set to PROFIT!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
FB messaging is the only way to reliably communicate with my furnace guy.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think that says more about your furnace guy than it does about FB messaging.
It works for us. When I call him because he's in some cellar he get's no signal. By the time he calls me back I'm out of the house or my cell is off. Texting for me is a pain as I have a cheap tracphone and don't feel the expense of a smartphone is worth it.

Pez

It's May, and after this lousy season I'm more focused on surfing right now I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone