• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

i take 'international border' as close enough for whiteface, proximity wise

That's about 35 miles as the crow flies, which is really far in this particular instance. There will be places 2 to 4 miles away from each other that see 6" of more differences in snow.

tnt1234

How far away you live also makes a big difference in the should you or shouldnt you go skiing discussion. When you live within 2 or 3 hours of the hill it's not nearly as big a deal. When you live down here and it's a 10 to 14 hour drive roundtrip, you blow your entire weekend and spend 12 hours in a car for conditions that are miserable. That's a big difference than if you live in say.....central Massachusetts and it's 3 hours or less to Sugarbush or Stowe etc...

Exactly. That's the killer for us jersey folks.

MEtoVTSkier

This statement is just not true - at least in my book. I have lots of activities that I enjoy doing. There are plenty of things that I enjoy more than skiing in pouring rain or -20F, for example.

Same here! I can find enough fair-weather days to keep me happy with my ski seasons.

BenedictGomez

Where are you looking to go?

At the very least, nePA, as New Jersey has become financial suicide at this point (and will get worse).

But we're seriously considering a western ski state. Never been to MT, ID, or WY, but we're going to explore them over the next few years (will probably hit 2 this year). Utah is definitely a serious contender as well, we liked it very much - only negative is the irony that it seems easier to own 10 acres in NJ than it is in UT, which blew my mind.

BenedictGomez

I could have worded this much better.

Much of the northeast is losing residents, and several states have completely anemic growth that is statistically significant given population should be increasing at a greater rate versus America's trend as a hole.

Also, the "mix" of people coming in versus going out is often not generally financially beneficial to states' treasury, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm a gunna' say bout' that".

Smellytele

Much of the northeast is losing residents, and several states have completely anemic growth that is statistically significant given population should be increasing at a greater rate versus America's trend as a hole.

Also, the "mix" of people coming in versus going out is often not generally financially beneficial to states' treasury, and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I'm a gunna' say bout' that".

Need more people from Norway?

fbrissette

So basically, soon, we'll be hearing about shithole states ?

Jcb890

No idea what kind of discussion is going on right now, but back to the rain...

I'm seeing some mountains (Wildcat, Jay, Stowe, etc.) might be getting a decent amount of snow on the back end of this storm tonight into tomorrow. What are people thinking on that? I was thinking about heading up to Wildcat and if this forecast is going to be accurate they could get a 12"+ of new snow tonight into tomorrow morning.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Wildcat/6day/mid

Other places South are just screwed it looks like - Mt. Snow, Stratton, etc.

Jcb890

Do yourself a favor, unbookmark that page, and never go there for your winter weather forecast ever again.
I'm all ears for better forecast sites... I like that they try to show elevation and it shows actual mountain weather as opposed to like Weather Underground or Weather.gov which uses the closest weather station.

Status
Not open for further replies.