• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

We are a country wusses!

nhskier1969

Just got word that Gunstock is dead. Presumably due to cold. That's bad for this particular weekend. Gunstock usually kills it on any Saturday.

Skied with the wife and Kids at SB today till 2p. Mid-Mountain was at -16 below at the time and -18 below at the top. Great snow, just keep moving and you stay warm.

dlague

Ya my family did not want to go skiing based on news reports that wind chills were going to be -27 today. F'n news blew it. Slept in and got up leisurely this morning stepped outside around 10 and whoa it was nice out? WTF! I kept complaining that we should have gone skiing today. Was not winning point with the wife. She was a little upset too that the weather report was so far off. Suggested going tomorrow but that will be the peak of the cold temps. So two days lost.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

Dave it will be a ghost town tomorrow it was dead today. Top to bottom runs and the Tram is your friend. Chairs were brutal ..... Tram was nice. Conditions are worth it. Front 5 under the guns =nice

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Today would have been a warm up last year.

Last night a friend was giving me advice on how to avoid frozen pipes because of what a mutual friend told him. He said there was supposed to be wind chills of -65. I laughed and said "Where? Mt Washington?" I can only guess the information received by another friend came from WMUR or The Weather Channel fear mongers.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

4aprice

Saw on the news today that NYC canceled some sort of ICE festival in central park tomorrow, because it will be 0 F degrees !! Yes, we have become a nation of wusses.

NYer's get what they deserve with De Blasio. They want a daddy, they got it. I went skiing today. It was cold, it was windy (and snowy at times with a couple of good bursts in the am). Good PP and some nice choices of bumps today (Rocket ROTD). My fingers pay the price of frostbite when young as the pain gets to me. After lunch it kind of got pleasant for a while in the sun but once that dropped so did the temps. Probably will skip tomorrow and sleep.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Wuss here.

attachment.php

Being I can pick my days I'll pass.

Edd

Canyon quad at Killington on hold today for exposure. Never heard that one before.

drjeff

A little brisk at Mount Snow this AM (I took the picture at 7:45AM on my back deck) and that doesn't even account for the 15-20mph winds!! Weather Channel is saying the wind chill in the area is -46!

Think I'll wait until noon or so to go grab a few turns

Attachments

• 1455454866468.jpg
    1455454866468.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 74

Smellytele

A little brisk at Mount Snow this AM (I took the picture at 7:45AM on my back deck) and that doesn't even account for the 15-20mph winds!! Weather Channel is saying the wind chill in the area is -46!

Think I'll wait until noon or so to go grab a few turns
Only -10 here and I am still waiting to this afternoon to catch a few runs

Bumpsis

9 am, a few miles from Sugarloaf, temp:-12 *F, windchill: - 23*F. This may be a good XC day. On the mountain only King Pine is on wind hold... hmm..

nhskier1969

9 am, a few miles from Sugarloaf, temp:-12 *F, windchill: - 23*F. This may be a good XC day. On the mountain only King Pine is on wind hold... hmm..

Leaving gatehouse lodge at Sugarbush. I guess I should have worn a neck warmer
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 9.25.36 AM.jpg

Cornhead

Looked at the temp at Greek this morning, -18°, thought about blowing today off, glad I didn't, sun's been out all morning, winds seem less than yesterday, not terrible. In the bar now, skied from 9:30 till 11:00, toes are a little cold, that's about it. Oh, couldn't light my morning bowl on the lift, cheap ass dollar store lighters, it works for shit even when it isn't frigid, time to upgrade, matches would probably be a good backup for days like today.

Cornhead

I must admit this weekend's cold temps had me feeling a little Randy.
1455504495839.jpg

I went skiing today. It was cold, it was windy (and snowy at times with a couple of good bursts in the am). Good PP and some nice choices of bumps today (Rocket ROTD). My fingers pay the price of frostbite when young as the pain gets to me. After lunch it kind of got pleasant for a while in the sun but once that dropped so did the temps. Probably will skip tomorrow and sleep.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

we were on our way up yesterday, about 20 minutes from home, when the program director called and advised us to reconsider...even though we've done single digit F temps with no issues, given the possibility of crazy wind chill i deferred to his better judgment

jimk

-114 windchill on Whiteface on Sat night. That's serious.
I rarely ski on Pres Weekend for crowd/cost avoidance reasons. But this year must admit I got to avoid cold temps too, which we're having even down here in mid-Atlantic.
I love all skiing, East, West, North, South. In recent years I've been able to ski out west quite a bit. I gotta tell you, 20 degs out there feels like 45 degs in the East. I hate to spread this wormlike wussie talk, but it's true. It must be the low humidity and the the more intense high altitude sunshine?? It just feels different. The other thing that drives you nuts in the Northeast is it can be 4 degs one day and 44 degs and raining the next. :confused:

Last edited:

4aprice

we were on our way up yesterday, about 20 minutes from home, when the program director called and advised us to reconsider...even though we've done single digit F temps with no issues, given the possibility of crazy wind chill i deferred to his better judgment

Jim:

I skipped yesterday. Saturday was cold, but the conditions were really good (and zero crowds). Hopefully this weeks weather doesn't do too much damage. They've been doing a good job of resurfacing but how long do they continue to do so? From here next weekend looks springlike (I won't complain about that unless they really melt down)

-114 windchill on Whiteface on Sat night. That's serious.
I rarely ski on Pres Weekend for crowd/cost avoidance reasons. But this year must admit I got to avoid cold temps too, which we're having even down here in mid-Atlantic.
I love all skiing, East, West, North, South. In recent years I've been able to ski out west quite a bit. I gotta tell you, 20 degs out there feels like 45 degs in the East. I hate to spread this wormlike wussie talk, but it's true. It must be the low humidity and the the more intense high altitude sunshine?? It just feels different. The other thing that drives you nuts in the Northeast is it can be 4 degs one day and 44 degs and raining the next. :confused:

Jim: You hitting on all the points that have my wife and I looking at a 5-7 year plan of going west. The combination of last year and this year have just been selling that idea big time. Last year the snow was great here but the cold got to us as my wife got badly frost bitten on a stupid cold day at Burke. We went west (Which was supposed to be horrible but was still better then back east) and it was so nice to ski in the 30's and come down the canyons to 60+ weather where we could just walk out in swim trunks to the hot tub. That plus the beginning of this season (I didn't start skiing until Jan 24th) which in my opinion was what it must be like to live in the deep south. Its all adding up to that move one of these days.

BTW Really enjoyed your reports on your safari last season and your Aspen report this year. Live that dream.

Alex'

Lake Hopatcong, NJ