• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Possibilities

ctenidae

What's the monthly payment difference betwen the two? Is it worth it for whatever you get extra? If yes, get the 2011. If no, get the 2010.

dmc

I love having a new car! I don't care about resale. I'll drive them into the ground anyway..

I save and pay cash for cars so it doesn't really matter.. I just want to be comfortable and safe..

Lifes too short to drive a crappy car...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
What's the monthly payment difference betwen the two? Is it worth it for whatever you get extra? If yes, get the 2011. If no, get the 2010.

This is the kind of sage, insightful advice we get from AZ's brightest financial mind?

There really is no free lunch.

ctenidae

This is the kind of sage, insightful advice we get from AZ's brightest financial mind?

There really is no free lunch.

Doesn't say much for the financial minds at AZ, does it?
I could throw out terms like cost/benefit analysis, marginal utility, etc etc, but in the end, the question is still "Are nice rims worth $50 a month to you?"

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Doesn't say much for the financial minds at AZ, does it?
I could throw out terms like cost/benefit analysis, marginal utility, etc etc, but in the end, the question is still "Are nice rims worth $50 a month to you?"

With the exception of Warp Daddy, I don't think there was any risk an outsider would confuse us with the Wall Street Journal, no.

hammer

So you want to get an Edward Cullen car...:wink:

twilight_volvo.jpg

Really, these look like a nice ride.

Regarding your choice, I'd go with the 2011 car. Volvos tend to have high depreciation so if you do decide to trade it in at some point, the extra model year will make a difference. In addition, you have one model year of bugs that have hopefully been worked out.

Lifes too short to drive a crappy car..
+1...as much as I liked not having car payments it's nice to have a new car again.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I will say this my buddy just got a new Santa Fe all tricked out and neither he nor i would have ever considered it. We were both upscale car guys

But after having taken several longer rides in it for golf outings out of the area -- its pretty damn impressive comfort wise and looks FINE with pretty fair MPG and THAT warranty is solid . Quality is very good so i will have it ON MY RADAR SCREEN next time around .

That was the case with my old man. His previous cars were Infinity, Infinity, Lexus, Lexus. He bought a Hyundai Genesis V8 a year ago and likes it better than the Infinity M35X it replaced. Cost him about 10K less for the same options.

campgottagopee

Wether you pay cash, lease or finance, you have to be happy/enjoy what you're driving, so get the 2011. Sounds like it's got a bunch of cool stuff on it.

As for Subie's, my first 2011 Outback just hit, so they're on the way......reason for none in stock??? Simple, supply and demand, it really is that simple...no incentives other than low APR.

Good luck!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
thats why I try to pay cash...

would you still pay cash if zero percent financing was offered?

Seems to me in that situation it would make more sense to invest the 30K and have it make money for you, instead of giving it all to the dealer when making payments won't cost you any more than buying it out right.

dmc

would you still pay cash if zero percent financing was offered?

Seems to me in that situation it would make more sense to invest the 30K and have it make money for you, instead of giving it all to the dealer when making payments won't cost you any more than buying it out right.

I don't like using credit unless I have to.. thats just me.. I always try to use cash. I have no debt except my mortgage and I'd like to keep it that way. I

I was in deep credit hell for a long time. It was OK if i was working but when I got laid off it became a liability. I now prepare myself for retirement and for not working as well. Granted I make twice as much as I used to but I put so much away for retirement it almost feels like I don't make any $ :)