• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2018-2019 Sunday River

crazy

I gotta say, if you were considering maybe coming skiing, you could do a lot worse than to come to the River. Some 2 weeks ago, we got 10-12 inches of heavy wet stuff, followed by 3 hours of rain then freezing temps. Instant base across the mountain, in the trees on the trails, everywhere. Followed up by a few smaller snowstorms and it is pretty good what Mother Nature is giving.

Add to it that Sunday River is putting their best foot forward this year with snowmaking. A new pipe line from the pond, additional pump capacity, and today, they worked on or changed the pump out at the pond before firing up the guns a little after noon time. That and paying their snowmakers $20.00 per hour, they are putting their best foot forward with a full crew to erase the memory of last year's shortcomings.

46 trails open today. Top gun is open, Last Tango, upper cut, most of Goat path, Wildfire, the usual groomers, Ecstasy, Punch, Escapade, Right Stuff, Tourist trap, Lazy River. They are only running the Barker quad and Chondie mid week, more coming for the weekend, including Aurora and Spruce!!!

The coverage in the woods (Last Tango) is such I didn't hit any rocks, though you do have to pick and choose your paths. It is a blast right now, and it is only November 20th!

That's great news man.

Do you think Aurora and Spruce will be open on Friday, or would they wait until the weekend to open them up?

Jully

I feel like they HAVE to replace it if they're having this many issues so early. Hopefully it gets better, but this is real rough.

machski

Absolutely fantastic conditions, is it really just November 23? Aurora opened today though Paradigm did not, meaning Sirius/Aludra only way in. Had to hike up to Northern Lights as the Aludra extension wasn't yet open. OR you could drop into an all natural Airglow and Black Hole!! Natural runs and woods everywhere, untracked natural a but windblown crust from yesterday. Crazy good.IMG_20181123_122323439.jpgIMG_20181123_120428674.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Monday night storm looks like a SR/Loaf special. Gonna have to make it 3 straight powder Tuesdays.

Zand

Report says snowmaking on State Fair and Cyclone...any chance those Oz woods open up on Tuesday?

mriceyman

I went skiing this morning, booted up at Barker, none of my usual ski buddies were present, so I skied over to the Chondie and got in line for THE first chair up! From there, I took Paradigm over to Aurora and got THE first chair there as well!

The groomers had been out and that wet snow was packed down and quite fast. From about the Locke Mid station or the top of the Sunday River express, it was foggy and difficult to see where you were going. Really needed to check you speed.

I noticed that there were some browner areas of snow on the trails where the coverage is a bit thin. I think they'll be correcting that issue tonight!:snow:

Today is sign up for Santa Sunday for next Sunday. Gotta be at your computer or on your phone at noon sharp.
46694240_10155926406537876_5910463976751235072_n.jpg

That is me in the second chair back, far right, blue boots. Looking to reprise that role next Sunday!

I am officially registered and will be there in full Santa outfit again!

Bucket list lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tumbler

I went skiing this morning, booted up at Barker, none of my usual ski buddies were present, so I skied over to the Chondie and got in line for THE first chair up! From there, I took Paradigm over to Aurora and got THE first chair there as well!

The groomers had been out and that wet snow was packed down and quite fast. From about the Locke Mid station or the top of the Sunday River express, it was foggy and difficult to see where you were going. Really needed to check you speed.

I noticed that there were some browner areas of snow on the trails where the coverage is a bit thin. I think they'll be correcting that issue tonight!:snow:

Today is sign up for Santa Sunday for next Sunday. Gotta be at your computer or on your phone at noon sharp.
46694240_10155926406537876_5910463976751235072_n.jpg

That is me in the second chair back, far right, blue boots. Looking to reprise that role next Sunday!

I am officially registered and will be there in full Santa outfit again!

Lot of brown in that pic. This year should be much different.

Edd

We actively avoided the untouched at Wildcat today, which is weird but it sucked you in and took your control. Amazing conditions out there. Tomorrow will be great.

chuckstah

We actively avoided the untouched at Wildcat today, which is weird but it sucked you in and took your control. Amazing conditions out there. Tomorrow will be great.

Thanks for the Wildcat update Edd. Probably going to land there tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Edd

Thanks for the Wildcat update Edd. Probably going to land there tomorrow.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I came awful close to staying for a 2nd day but it didn’t work out. Have a blast tomorrow!

machski

Absolutely incredible today. Woods are choked with snow.
Ditto at Sunday River. On map, off map and everywhere in between. When Vortex is completely open on natural snow alone, it is a pretty deep and dense snowpack for sure. Unbelievable skiing today and it was still nuking at 5pm when I left for home.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Was gonna take Monday off to get a 3 day weekend in at Loaf/SR, but that Sunday forecast is a huge buzzkill and then everything will freeze solid behind it.