• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013-2014 Ski Season Goals

Bostonian

Okay after the cluster-f of a season ending injury I had this year, I figured, time to put it behind me and get stoked for 2013-2014! Here are some goals I set for myself this season:

1. Ski more than 13 times this year!
2. Really working on my conditioning this summer/fall - Starting this week, I will be running in the morning now that I have the all clear from my docs.
3. Make it back to Magic this year but on a Powder Day!
4. Get my now two year old out on skis
5. Ski some more bumps (attempt to), trees and what not

Smellytele

Never set goals in any aspect of my life so why start now. I have ski plans but they are not really goals. Plans consist of going to Colorado in Feb/March but as of now that is it.

drjeff

I'll go with my standard seasonal goals

#1 Ski at least 40 days

#1a - ski more days than Glenn's wife has different ski coats ;) :lol: :spin:

#2 Ski on at least every day of the week (means I took a full ski vacation week)

#3 No major injuries

#4 Try and remain faster than my kids! (this one will likely be the most challenging and I'm guessing the last year that I might have it listed as a seasonal goal! And that's an AWESOME thing!)

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Since I do not have a season's pass this year my goal is to ski a wider variety of areas. There are over 40 areas in VT, NH and ME but I've only skied about a dozen.

dlague

Since I do not have a season's pass this year my goal is to ski a wider variety of areas. There are over 40 areas in VT, NH and ME but I've only skied about a dozen.

Look into http://www.rideandskine.com/Home.html and ski for half price nearly every Saturday which is unheard of! Plus plenty of mid week 2 fers at resorts like Jay Peak, Sugarbush, Mt Snow and others.

Pick up comp tickets at the Boston Ski and Snowboard Expo

Watch for early season 2 fer's (killiington news letter)

Attend Warren Miller Movie at Portsmouth Music Hall and get 2 fer's for each ticket bought at 4 different resorts

Buy gas at Irvings - three fillups and get a 2 fer

Look for resorts that have good Sunday half day deals like Okemo, Burke, MRG etc.

And there are plenty more!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Look into http://www.rideandskine.com/Home.html and ski for half price nearly every Saturday which is unheard of! Plus plenty of mid week 2 fers at resorts like Jay Peak, Sugarbush, Mt Snow and others.

Pick up comp tickets at the Boston Ski and Snowboard Expo

I did this last year but didn't do it right. :slap: I'm gonna try again this year. I promise to do better.

Watch for early season 2 fer's (killiington news letter)

Attend Warren Miller Movie at Portsmouth Music Hall and get 2 fer's for each ticket bought at 4 different resorts

I've had early season tickets from Warren Miller for several years out of Lebanon NH. Never make it. Haven't tried the Portsmouth screening but I hear that gets sold out quickly. Last year I went to Flying Monkey in Plymouth NH got the standard discount to Pico plus a free pass to Ragged. (I should almost ban myself from Ragged if I want to hit a bunch of other places cause its only 15 minutes from my house.) There was another screen at the Flying Monkey for the Making of Blizzard of Ahhs. Got a 2 for one to Cannon which pretty much offers that to anyone anyway.

Buy gas at Irvings - three fillups and get a 2 fer

I think without exception these are for mid-week discounts only. With the Ski and Ride card this is almost redundant.

Look for resorts that have good Sunday half day deals like Okemo, Burke, MRG etc.

Skied off hard pack at MRG? Mmm. Two hour drives plus to any of these areas anyway make it not worth it for me. Ragged and Bretton Woods on the other hand offer NH resident discounts for Sunday afternoons. That's when you'll find me at Ragged.

And there are plenty more!

I'll keep a weather eye on the discount thread when it starts.

Skimaine

Here are mine:

Injury free
+40 days
Big Sky
More fit
More bumps (see previous goal)
Sugarloaf backside
Turns in May

dlague

How come I go every year to the Boston Ski and Snowboard Expoand never end up with an "comp Tickets"? They all have ski and stay deals or other useless deals. Do I need to beg?

I generally strike up conversations with them and then ask after a few minutes! Certain resorts do not like the big ones (Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Jay Peak etc.) More of the mid size places. Sometimes you have to repeatedly play they games they have! There are other lower rate ski show deals like $29 for a day of skiing for example as well.

I have to say though - the last couple of years have been tough! Our best year was 11 comps vs last year we got 3 but we work the ski show so we are there for several days!

dlague

I think without exception these are for mid-week discounts only. With the Ski and Ride card this is almost redundant.

Skied off hard pack at MRG? Mmm. Two hour drives plus to any of these areas anyway make it not worth it for me. Ragged and Bretton Woods on the other hand offer NH resident discounts for Sunday afternoons. That's when you'll find me at Ragged.

I'll keep a weather eye on the discount thread when it starts.

My approach is to get every offer out there even if redundant since it allows me to invite friends to ski cheaper! Some of the Irving resorts are for Sundays which is what I target!

As far as the half day deals - well it is a catch 22 situation - could be skied off, however we have had good results!

We skied Okemo (NH/VT Resident) for $29 on a Sunday afternoon and had decent conditions as well as Burke (NEK Deal) for $25! You may like Okemo's Sunday Solution then which is 8:30 - 1 for $35. Some people diss Okemo but I just ski what I like and skip the rest!

I am saddened by Ragged not sticking to their $19 NH Resident Sunday deal - but they have to make their money I guess still $32 is not bad!

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
- Be in good shape for the week in Banff we have scheduled
- Lots more backcountry this year, hit some trails and stashes I haven't been to in a while
- Hit Saddleback for a long weekend
- Call in sick on a powder day

crank

I skied a lot, for me, last year and don't expect to get the skiing jones until August. That said, I would like to equal or top last season's 33 days. Work was very slow for me last winter and I am seriously considering either getting an apartment or house share in VT for the season or just driving out west for a month. I have 2 trips semi planned: First is to Ogden, UT with my girlfriend and the second is to Whitefish, MT with our ski club.