• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which European Resorts are Best to Visit?

dlague

My son is stationed in southern Germany for the next 18 months and we were planning a trip over there this coming Winter to go skiing with him in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and /or Italy.

We will be staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and skiing Zugspitz and Alpspitz and others in that area. From there we plan to do some additional excursions to other regions in the countries mentioned above. Recognizing that we may not do all of them here are some of our thoughts:

Zugspitz and Alpspitz (Germany)
Arlberg (Austria)
Kitzbuhel (Austria)
Cortina (Italy)
Zermatt (Switzerland)
Chamonix or Portes du Soleil (France)

I have skied Garmisch region before but have no knowledge of other areas besides what I have read. If any of you have any advice/opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

thetrailboss

Staff member
As someone who toured Switzerland for a week, now 11 years ago :eek: , I can say that Zermatt is f&*king awesome and legit. You can ski in Italy and Switzerland. The village has no cars and it is very authentic.

There were tons of other areas, including some local places around Interlaken, but Interlaken is a frickin tourist trap complete with a Hooters (at least when I visited).

So Zermatt. Hands down. The skiing I had, in May 2002, was fun.

skiberg

Try a few places within driving distance of Garmisch. Take the road towards Innsbruck Austria. All of these are within a short drive of Garmisch.
Seefeld is quite close and nice quaint ski town. Family type ski area. Great spa in town with huge steam room etc.
Khutai. Across the valley from seefeld. Small by Euro standards but a great ski area for a day. Very high and snow sure.
Solden. Huge euro ski area with tremendous terrain variety and great off piste. One of the oddest ski resort scenes I have ever witnessed. You can literally ski right to the front door of strip joints take off your skis and go in with your boots on. When done put the skis back on and ride the lift back up the hill. If you go you must stop at the Aquadome. Google it. I guarantee you have never been to a place like this before.
St. Anton- the birthplace of downhill skiing. Need I say more.
Ischgil. Another massive Austrian ski resort and one of the few Euro resorts where you can actually ski into another country. Even though everyone thinks this is a regular Euro ski experience there are only a handfuls of resort that allow you to do this in Europe.
Explore the area there are an insane amount of ski areas you have never even heard of that are great.

dlague

Try a few places within driving distance of Garmisch. Take the road towards Innsbruck Austria. All of these are within a short drive of Garmisch.
Seefeld is quite close and nice quaint ski town. Family type ski area. Great spa in town with huge steam room etc.
Khutai. Across the valley from seefeld. Small by Euro standards but a great ski area for a day. Very high and snow sure.
Solden. Huge euro ski area with tremendous terrain variety and great off piste. One of the oddest ski resort scenes I have ever witnessed. You can literally ski right to the front door of strip joints take off your skis and go in with your boots on. When done put the skis back on and ride the lift back up the hill. If you go you must stop at the Aquadome. Google it. I guarantee you have never been to a place like this before.
St. Anton- the birthplace of downhill skiing. Need I say more.
Ischgil. Another massive Austrian ski resort and one of the few Euro resorts where you can actually ski into another country. Even though everyone thinks this is a regular Euro ski experience there are only a handfuls of resort that allow you to do this in Europe.
Explore the area there are an insane amount of ski areas you have never even heard of that are great.

Awesome!

darent

I have skied Cortina. You could ski there for a month and never ski it all. A german friend from Munich goes to Innsbruck and the Dolomites{Cortina Italy Region}