• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

GregoryIsaacs

A bit more. I hiked down part of the new Quad line. Awesome potential for another serious Magic double black. Anyway for perspective of where the Quad is going.
3673999717397b933a5a551e516e62f9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone wanna explain the random building at the true summit of Magic in the central-lower area of this image?

Smellytele

[FONT=&quot]Lodge flooded but Independence Celebration is a go for Saturday July 7th[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You just never know what surprises are in store when you own a business. Well, this one occured overnight for a 12 hour period from Sunday night after closing the Black Line Tavern into Monday morning.​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We're calling it: "The Soda Fountain Flood".​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It started when the water inlet to the carbonator failed (soda gun). Pretty small device. But when it failed, water was released at 50 pounds of pressure from about 9pm until the office opened up on Monday. Truly amazing to see how much water came out and how much damage was done. Not just up at the Black Line Tavern, but down below it into the cafeteria and kitchen area, and even down to the main entry level door. A river runs through it, I guess.​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Needless to say, the Black Line Tavern will not be serving food for a couple/few weeks as damage is assessed, mitigated and then repaired. We will be able to serve cold beer and wine on the deck depending on weather for cocktail hours (5-8p) Thursday and Friday in a relaxed atmosphere outside, with access to facilities.​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And, importantly, everything is still a go for our biggest little Independence Day celebration on July 7th. The Hound Dogs truck will be in to do food service (as well as the fried dough folks) and we will be serving up cold drinks, beers and wine starting at 5pm with music playing until our live band Goofyfoot takes the stage on the deck at 7:30 and plays until 11:30! The fireworks show put on by the town of Londonderry then lights up the sky at around 9:15. So come early. Eat, drink, play disc golf and cornhole, listen to great music outside, and enjoy a wonderful community atmosphere on what is forecasted to be a glorious day and night on the mountain. (Get here early to stake out your blankets/chairs on the lawn to listen/dance to Goofyfoot and then watch the fireworks.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The "Soda Fountain Flood" of 2018 is just another obstacle to be overcome here at Magic, and we have a fantastic team of employees and vendors already getting after it to get the lodge back in shape as soon as possible. In the meantime, thank you for your patience. Magic is still open for disc golf daily (golf season passes are here) and deck drinks Thursday-Saturdays until we open back up the BLT kitchen, dining and full bar experience in a few weeks.​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Happy 4th of July to all and come celebrate America's Independence (always a day with special meaning here) on Saturday July 7th!​​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overcome and Think Fun!​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Geoff[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SKI MAGIC LLC
Where skiing still has its soul.​ [/FONT]

Smellytele

Magic was on the Mad fisherman on NESN the other night. I tried to dvr it but it was on later than it was supposed to be and I recorded something else instead.

slatham

Being on top of a mountain it’s a great location, so probably a lot.

If I recall I saw a property map of what Magic owned and there was a box carved out in that area so the cell owners may own the property. Now whether Magic gets a fee for the use of the work road for access is a good question.

Newpylong

Other mountain have done the same thing - tower owner purchased the land (because the mountain needed quick cash) and now the mountain does not receive lease payments that would have far exceeded the sale cost.

bdfreetuna

I can't imagine selling a 40 square foot plot of land when everyone else leases it.

Look at urban areas, most of the cell transmitters are on top of existing buildings, this is merely a lease. Even most cases when you see a cell tower on farm land, it's a lease.

Not really familiar with rural / mountain arrangements but it would be a shame if they got short changed.

JamaicaMan

Hopefully Magic is getting their money's worth from that lease. I hear $20k - $40k a year is the going rate.

Wish. The priors owners of course needed quick cash and sold it off. So Ski Magic gets zero dollars and lousy land owners at the top of the mtn doing harm to our mtn often going off their horribly built work road (boulders) onto grass trails. And, they don’t maintain or improve the road...

Major sore point and prior owners came away with about the same amount of cash selling it as they would in 1-2 years of leasing. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Wish. The priors owners of course needed quick cash and sold it off. So Ski Magic gets zero dollars and lousy land owners at the top of the mtn doing harm to our mtn often going off their horribly built work road (boulders) onto grass trails. And, they don’t maintain or improve the road...

Major sore point and prior owners came away with about the same amount of cash selling it as they would in 1-2 years of leasing. Smh

That sucks. New designated "bra tree"?

bdfreetuna

That sucks. New designated "bra tree"?

mbedle

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Might want to review the easement they have on your property. Just wondering if it is specific enough to limit what trail/road they must use to access the property.

slatham

Cool video post on social media about the Green tower assemblies being delivered next week for installation. Progress!

Do Work

Might want to review the easement they have on your property. Just wondering if it is specific enough to limit what trail/road they must use to access the property.

Don't get me started. I can't handle that kind of rage atm.

slatham

ACT 250 permit application has been submitted........... https://anrweb.vt.gov/ANR/vtANR/Act250SearchResults.aspx?Num=2W0524-24

Thanks. I actually checked today but it must have been before they posted it. Glad to see this is finally in. Hopefully it only takes 4 weeks or so (which seems more or less average from casual observation of these type of filings) so they can start by Sept 1 and get done by the end of November, which was the time frame mentioned. Sounds a bit ambitious but what do I know. I hope the weather cooperates and Green gets done by September without issue as I assume the same crew will install.

Also interesting that one of the docs mentioned 2 other simultaneous projects: the pond, which I expected to be in the mix, but also pipes on Kinderspiel? I wonder if that is really on the list for this summer - it would be a great addition to the snowmaking terrain with Green going in.

Let's hope all goes as planned.

benski

cdskier

According to the application. The Motor is only 400 horsepower, with an I. C. engine that has only 140 horsepower. I assume I. C. is the backup. This seams awfully low, but I don't know that much, are lift significantly more efficient than a car? The document also says the lift goes 550 ft a minuet, so its not a slow lift.

Why do you think that sounds low? For comparison, Sugarbush's Valley House Quad has a 400HP motor and Belleayre's new Gondola has a 600 HP primary drive and a 130 HP Evac drive unit.