• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

mbedle

Does anybody know exactly what this quote from the receivership means. This was taken from a letter they sent out to investors last week. Is he really thinking that the state is going to sell him the upper section of the mountain that is part of Jay State Forest? I looked online and they appear to already own 2600 acres including most of the base area, golf course and west bowl. Maybe he is thinking that since most of the Phases were structured to sell the land that the hotels were built on to the partnership and he is trying to get that land back under the larger parcel that Jay Peak owns.

"Finally, I am optimistic that I will eventually obtain the contiguous mountain, which is not currently owned by the Jay Peak Resort, and sell it along with the resort buildings. If I am successful in this, the Phase 2 through 6 investors will benefit greatly as this will significantly increase the value of the overall resort. Without the mountain, the value of the Phase 2 through 6 investors' investment would be significantly less."

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does anybody know exactly what this quote from the receivership means. This was taken from a letter they sent out to investors last week. Is he really thinking that the state is going to sell him the upper section of the mountain that is part of Jay State Forest? I looked online and they appear to already own 2600 acres including most of the base area, golf course and west bowl. Maybe he is thinking that since most of the Phases were structured to sell the land that the hotels were built on to the partnership and he is trying to get that land back under the larger parcel that Jay Peak owns.

"Finally, I am optimistic that I will eventually obtain the contiguous mountain, which is not currently owned by the Jay Peak Resort, and sell it along with the resort buildings. If I am successful in this, the Phase 2 through 6 investors will benefit greatly as this will significantly increase the value of the overall resort. Without the mountain, the value of the Phase 2 through 6 investors' investment would be significantly less."

Perhaps what he is saying is that he will merge the entities together into one business venture to be sold off.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think you are right. I think saying "contiguous mountain" throw me off.

Yeah I find it hard to believe that Vermont would sell the state land to JPR. Especially considering the incredibly bad optics that would create with the whole EB-5 thing.

fbrissette

I wonder if they could make the West Bowl a backcountry zone.

With some thinning (don't know how easy environmental permits would be for that), an access trail circling the West Bowl (part Long trail part below the long trail) and a collector trails back toward the resort (which would require some skinning) Jay peak could cater to this very rapidly growing population that would, hopefully bring additional business to the resort.

Otherwise, I agree that we won't see a lift in the West-Bowl in this lifetime.

Jcb890

With some thinning (don't know how easy environmental permits would be for that), an access trail circling the West Bowl (part Long trail part below the long trail) and a collector trails back toward the resort (which would require some skinning) Jay peak could cater to this very rapidly growing population that would, hopefully bring additional business to the resort.

That's a pretty good idea actually!

ironhippy

I'd love to see more areas do stuff like this, especially out east where our true back country options are limited.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Considering all the money that was thrown at the place in the last ten years, and the complete lack of any significant upgrades on mountain, I find it unlikely that they will do anything big on the mountain. Hell, Burke has seen more improvements on mountain during that time than Jay. And yes I am not considering the Taxi Quad.

thetrailboss

Staff member
But I never shit nowhere near any Bicknell's thrush nesting area !

:lol:

Was it bdfreetuna that wrote that epic Trip Report that featured an emergency dump in the woods? I hope that he was not near any Bicknell Thrush. If so, those poor birds died.

BenedictGomez

Was it bdfreetuna that wrote that epic Trip Report that featured an emergency dump in the woods?

That is the most disgusting trip report ever written, and surpassing it will be no easy task.

It's like Wayne Gretzky's career points record. Technically it could one day be surpassed, but I just dont realistically see it happening.