• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ride

o3jeff

Just picked up this morning, 2007 leftover Cannondale Rush 5. I know I am suppose to have made a "Help me find a bike" with all the valuable info that comes out of those threads:smile: Can't wait to take it out on a ride now.

View attachment 1547

MR. evil

Just picked up this morning, 2007 leftover Cannondale Rush 5. I know I am suppose to have made a "Help me find a bike" with all the valuable info that comes out of those threads:smile: Can't wait to take it out on a ride now.

View attachment 1547

SWEET!

was it spec'd out like the web site said? First thing you need to do it remove those reflectors. Did you get a bashguard? what about a shock pump?

o3jeff

I noticed that and just removed the reflectors, too lazy to retake pics. The only spec difference is that they have the mechanical disc brakes. No bash guard but did get a shock pump from them.

Again thanks a lot for your assistance.

MR. evil

I noticed that and just removed the reflectors, too lazy to retake pics. The only spec difference is that they have the mechanical disc brakes. No bash guard but did get a shock pump from them.

my please to help:smile: Now go out and get your self a bashguard for that thing.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=58

Like I said before, many of my riding buddies prefer mech disk brakes over hydro. They are easier to maintain, cheaper, and actually have more stopping power in most cases. Hydro have better modulation.

MR. evil

Did the bike shop set up the suspension correctly for your weight? If not you should play around with that today. read the front and rear shock manuels and see what pressure & sag they recomend for your weight. This is ussually a good starting point, and you can tweak things out as you ride more and get a feel for the bike. Even if the shop did set it up for you rear the manuals and double check the pressure in the fork and shocks. Most bike shops don't do a very good job setting those things up.

o3jeff

They set it up the other day when I was there. I will use it as a starting point and then fine tune from ther.

Did you ever hear of Wellgo pedals? They are SPD compatible, but the clips are backwards(have to flip the clip on the shoe around) and have to clip in kicking backwards. Eff that, will put on my other pedals.

MR. evil

They set it up the other day when I was there. I will use it as a starting point and then fine tune from ther.

Did you ever hear of Wellgo pedals? They are SPD compatible, but the clips are backwards(have to flip the clip on the shoe around) and have to clip in kicking backwards. Eff that, will put on my other pedals.

Still double check the pressure per the instructions. and swap out your old pedals.

o3jeff

What happens if I forget I have a bash guard and I go to shit into the big gear? Chain fall off? or is the guard fairly tight to the sprocket.

MR. evil

What happens if I forget I have a bash guard and I go to shit into the big gear? Chain fall off? or is the guard fairly tight to the sprocket.

The guard is very close to the middle ring so it shouldn't fall off. Mine never has. You can also adjust the limit screw of your front Der. so it won't shift past the middle ring. Brian or I could help you with that at the trail head before some ride. It would take all of 2 minutes.

bvibert

Staff member

Which mechanical brakes does it have?

bvibert

Staff member
It's kind of funny; the specs I found for the 2007 list Juicy 7 (hydro) brakes, but the picture shows mechanical brakes...

Greg

Staff member
Congrats, Jeff. Now that you've got a ride in, I'd be interested to hear you impression on it. Especially since you, like me, are new to serious riding have been on a hard tail for a few months. Was it an easy transition to FS? Was it what you expected (better? or perhaps underwhelming?) Aside from the suspension, how does the better quality (read: more expensive) bike compare to your Rock Hopper overall (shifting, braking, etc.)? I hope to be on an FS sometime soon, but plan to beat down the HT first.

bvibert

Staff member
I know one thing is for sure; those disk brakes we way less annoying than my rim brakes after riding through some mud. I HATE that grinding noise you get when you get mud on the rims... :roll:

o3jeff

The transition from the HT to the FS was very little and started to notice the advantages of FS right when we hit the trails as it smoothed out the ride a lot. With the FS it make climbing up things A LOT easier since it is keeping the rear wheel to the ground instead of bouncing around and even the down hills are nice now without the body taking the abuse. I also noticed very little bob in the rear suspension so it doesn't feel that you are losing any energy through that.

The components are a lot smoother and precise when changing gears and the disk brakes are just awesome, minimal fade and quiet even through the wet and mud. It came with a wide set of handle bars on it and originally thought I would hate them, but am starting to get use to them and the extra stability they seem to give so I plan on giving them a couple more weeks and decide if I want to trim them down or not. They do kinda suck going through some of the tight twisty areas last night, but I didn't clip them into any trees so I guess they aren't that bad.

Overall I am very happy with it and more than met my expectations. I am glad that I did ride the HT for a bit to learn on and maybe should of rode it longer, but this thing makes the ride a lot more fun. The only thing that I don't care for are the tires, they don't self clean and are really slick on the roots, but those are easy fixes and I might put the tires from my old bike on it.

Now I am really looking forward to the next ride just to get out and play some more on it!