• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Post July 1

Smellytele

I have no problems with weed used privately, but when I go skiing with the fam, I don't wanna share the lift with some boom boom huck jam kid blazing up. The upper crust types that all the Vt resorts cater to are not likely to be cooler about it than I am. I am worth considerably less to the resort than the Boston or NY money contingent, but I am worth way more per day than the average pothead kid. Dollars and sense, bro.

To be honest most people I see (or smell) smoking weed are not the type which you have generalized above. More like 30 somethings. I don't see too many upper crust types at the places I usually ski in VT but then again maybe I don't ski where they do.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The second hand smoke thing is mostly going away anyways. Most of the average"pot head kids" now vape. People should obviously be polite, but someone vaping near you really shouldn't be anymore offensive than someone cranking beers at the ski lodge bar

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

I have no problems with weed used privately, but when I go skiing with the fam, I don't wanna share the lift with some boom boom huck jam kid blazing up. The upper crust types that all the Vt resorts cater to are not likely to be cooler about it than I am. I am worth considerably less to the resort than the Boston or NY money contingent, but I am worth way more per day than the average pothead kid. Dollars and sense, bro.

pothead 33 year old employed professional here. your stereotypes are tired. my friends and i spend plenty of money and the resorts want our business desperately. look at the abundance of for-30s type passes.

i don't want to ride the lift with snooty toot parents who think they're better than people who don't see the world as they do.

prsboogie

pothead 33 year old employed professional here. your stereotypes are tired. my friends and i spend plenty of money and the resorts want our business desperately. look at the abundance of for-30s type passes.

i don't want to ride the lift with snooty toot parents who think they're better than people who don't see the world as they do.
Ya that's all well and good but I don't need or want someone roasting up on the side of my 11/9 year olds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jully

Ya that's all well and good but I don't need or want someone roasting up on the side of my 11/9 year olds.

Sounds like Mt. Snow (and places with redundant lifts like it) should make the Bluebird "substance free" and the Grand Summit the smoking/drinking lift :thumbup:

Much better than the private lift model floated years ago.

AdironRider

But totally cool for people to drink around them right? Or do you abstain from any restaurant, sporting venue, or other public even where alcohol is sold?

Domeskier

But totally cool for people to drink around them right? Or do you abstain from any restaurant, sporting venue, or other public even where alcohol is sold?

I would avoid public venues where people aspirated alcohol into other peoples faces, definitely.

drjeff

Direct second hand smoke is an issue for kids (or frankly anyone with lungs). Alcohol, unless the effects on the person consuming it end up causing harm harm to an innocent bystander, isn't going to have any direct secondary effect at that moment in time to any kids in the area.

snoseek

Im all about doing my business in the trees out of habit anyhow.

AdironRider

Direct second hand smoke is an issue for kids (or frankly anyone with lungs). Alcohol, unless the effects on the person consuming it end up causing harm harm to an innocent bystander, isn't going to have any direct secondary effect at that moment in time to any kids in the area.

Nevermind they are OUTSIDE. Your kid is going to be no worse for wear even if some dirty hippie lights up on a chairlift. Stanford even did a study on it. As long as your kid is outside of 18 inches from a smoker, outdoors, he's fine. 18 inches. Even then, your kid would need to spend several hours next (again 18 inches) to a smoker (averaging 2 cigs an hour) to even reach the limit that the EPA considers consider unhealthy.

Unless you want to talk about Xanadu, then yeah, ban smoking since it is indoors.

This is just people getting uppity because they can here. I can count on one hand the amount of times someone has even asked to smoke a butt on a lift, let alone actually had one. To think this is going to become some widespread problem again is pretty laughable and straight out of "reefer madness" mindset.

Edit to add: outside of Killington, where apparently smoking in lift lines is cool. Literally the only place I've been where I've seen that.

Last edited:

AdironRider

LOL, yeah, the false equivalence was boiling hot in that post.

The false equivalence is that by pot being legal in VT that all of sudden societal norms are going to be thrown out the window, and smokers will ruin everything.

machski

In the past I've been on the K1 as a single when a group of 5 or 6 decide to light up. It sucks as I'm a commercial pilot and really do not want to catch any of that crap given we are drug tested for that (amongst others). So that sucks. An open chair is one thing, but I would prefer folks not to light that crap up right next to me on a chair. Just do it away from the general public. You can smell that crap from chairs behind and while you won't be affected, I can understand parents not wanting their kids to even smell it.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Whether a cigarette or weed, even asking to light up on a chair or in a gondola next to a stranger is pretty bold and rude. Vaping nicotine or weed, a little bit of debate there, but still rude. You might be able to to smell someone vaping for a brief second, but only if right next to them. Certainly not a chair behind. And even if you did, second hand water vapor isn't going to have an affect on a person.

There is some false equivalency of saying someone should be allowed to hot box a gondola just like people pound beer and shot skis in resort bars. However the primary point people are making is in a society that celebrates alcohol consumption and often to excess, people need to chill out regarding other people's choices in how they relax. This isn't heroin or cocaine. Hell, marijuana is more benign than alcohol in terms of societal damage.

Let's augment the subject though for a second that would be a true apples to apples equivalency. How would people feel if a resort bar had a menu for marijuana edibles? I mean, we all talk about ski areas with great draught lists. Explain to me the difference?

Take these comments as coming from someone who infrequently imbibes with MJ. Certainly much less than alcohol. I might partake in MJ 4-5 times a month. Basically once a week. I'll have a drink or a few 3-5 days a week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just leaving Vermont. There was no noticeable difference at all. The only thing that I saw was a lot of press talking about the changes in the law. Basically it is legal to possess. You can't buy it, sell it, smoke it in public, or around kids. So I don't understand why the law was even passed. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Oh yeah...and it was the hottest and most humid mess I have ever seen. In all my years growing up there I can't recall any weather as brutal as that. And now living in Utah that says something.

chuckstah

Just leaving Vermont. There was no noticeable difference at all. The only thing that I saw was a lot of press talking about the changes in the law. Basically it is legal to possess. You can't buy it, sell it, smoke it in public, or around kids. So I don't understand why the law was even passed. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Oh yeah...and it was the hottest and most humid mess I have ever seen. In all my years growing up there I can't recall any weather as brutal as that. And now living in Utah that says something.
Oh, it's an improvement. A number of years ago a friend was stopped in Woodstock for, wait for it, drinking and driving. With a bottle of water. He voluntarily took rhe breath test. Blew a zero. Problem was, friend in the back seat had just lit up. He took the heat for everyone in the car. Hour delay and a $200 fine for less rhan a gram. . It is certainly welcome that the law was passed. And isn't growing legal now also?

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

it legalized home grow and personal private consumption. it's nice that the state can no longer bust into one's house over the big nothing of growing and smoking pot.

your friend would have still been fucked in the car. pot in the car is sort of more illegal now.

prsboogie

First - like it or not alcohol is legal to consume by those over the age of 21. My kids have been around many on this board while drinking and understand, for now anyway, that it's something that adults can do with restraint.

Second - IMO anyone who smokes/vapes anything on a chair with others who are not part of their group is ignorant. Keep your shit to yourself.

Third - while vaping does trap the large majority of harmful chemicals in the smoker there is still second hand residual. And yes vaping is still horrible for your body despite what some think.

prsboogie

Whether a cigarette or weed, even asking to light up on a chair or in a gondola next to a stranger is pretty bold and rude. Vaping nicotine or weed, a little bit of debate there, but still rude. You might be able to to smell someone vaping for a brief second, but only if right next to them. Certainly not a chair behind. And even if you did, second hand water vapor isn't going to have an affect on a person.

There is some false equivalency of saying someone should be allowed to hot box a gondola just like people pound beer and shot skis in resort bars. However the primary point people are making is in a society that celebrates alcohol consumption and often to excess, people need to chill out regarding other people's choices in how they relax. This isn't heroin or cocaine. Hell, marijuana is more benign than alcohol in terms of societal damage.

Let's augment the subject though for a second that would be a true apples to apples equivalency. How would people feel if a resort bar had a menu for marijuana edibles? I mean, we all talk about ski areas with great draught lists. Explain to me the difference?

Take these comments as coming from someone who infrequently imbibes with MJ. Certainly much less than alcohol. I might partake in MJ 4-5 times a month. Basically once a week. I'll have a drink or a few 3-5 days a week.

For me the biggest issue with THC/CBD products in whatever form is there is absolutely no way to know how "stoned" someone is. With alcohol, BAC can be measured and corrolated to enebriation - nothing exists with these.

And the attitude that it's less harmful than alcohol is a very apathetic though process. Brain cells are still retarded, lung cells are directly damaged when inhaled, it causes massive gastrointestinal issues in smaller but not insignificant portion of users, and leads to coronary issues. Besides the direct lung effects all relate to alcohol use as well.