• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epicski dead all content to disappear

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've never found reading about ski technique or even watching videos to be all that beneficial.

I think the greatest key to improvement is skiing with people who ski at a high level and trying to mimic the techniques they use.

And more than anything, ski moguls. Lots and lots of moguls. There's no better training for tree skiing and tackling other technical terrain than skiing moguls.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

I've also asked for drills to deal with certain weakness in my technique and gotten spot-on suggestions. That's not an element exist in any other ski forum.

The fine folks at mogulskiing.net are quite good at that sort of thing, assuming you are interested in slaying a zipper line world-cup style.

Smellytele

I've never found reading about ski technique or even watching videos to be all that beneficial.

I think the greatest key to improvement is skiing with people who ski at a high level and trying to mimic the techniques they use.

And more than anything, ski moguls. Lots and lots of moguls. There's no better training for tree skiing and tackling other technical terrain than skiing moguls.

I agree with this. I have friends who are instructors and they don't really realize that when they speak of technique they are like lawyers speaking in lawyerese. A couple of pointers are fine but when they do a dissertation on the science of a turn I stop listening. Ski, ski, ski

abc

The fine folks at mogulskiing.net are quite good at that sort of thing, assuming you are interested in slaying a zipper line world-cup style.
Nope, not interested, not the "world cup style" part anyway.

For me it's the massive amount of unbiased reviews on skis. It has been one of the best resources on the net for that for a very long time.

I never figure out those crazy terminology about how a ski works. So all that "massive amounts" of ski review I could do without!

But I understand quite well what they're talking about in the instruction section (well, not the long dissertations, not the bottom 50-80% anyway)

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's more the comparison reviews, not the technical stuff that interests me.

So and so demos say five 2017 midfat skis. This model did best on hardpack, this one in bumps, crud etc.

I also enjoy the threads when people ask for advice on replacing a five year old ski that they particularly like. As an example, I love my Nordica Steadfasts as an EC all mountain ski. Unless I break them, I'll be looking for something exactly like it in 2-3 years. That model no longer is produced, so the information I would find on Epicski would help me narrow down which newer models I probably should take a look at.

abc

It's more the comparison reviews, not the technical stuff that interests me.

So and so demos say five 2017 midfat skis. This model did best on hardpack, this one in bumps, crud etc.

I also enjoy the threads when people ask for advice on replacing a five year old ski that they particularly like. As an example, I love my Nordica Steadfasts as an EC all mountain ski. Unless I break them, I'll be looking for something exactly like it in 2-3 years. That model no longer is produced, so the information I would find on Epicski would help me narrow down which newer models I probably should take a look at.

I found what other people's ideal crud buster doesn't do it for me on crud. Instead it work better on ice. Or vise versa. All because I may approach crud and ice differently.

About all I look at skis are dimensions. Even there, I found a lot variation too. I ended up with a ski way longer and wider than what people say is optimal for person of my side. And it slay tree very well too. The only thing it doesn't do well yet is zipperlining bumps.

Point being, what you value of one forum, I found useless. What I value, you think is useless TO YOU.

When epicski goes dark, you don't have the luxury to save your favorite section, any more than I can save the section you don't care for.

ForcedHotWater

Oh please. The best skiers I know (Big wall skiers) wouldn't ski moguls if you put a gun to their heads. Moguls are for posers.

Domeskier

Oh please. The best skiers I know (Big wall skiers) wouldn't ski moguls if you put a gun to their heads. Moguls are for posers.

I'm not sure what a "big wall" skier is, but if you are referring to the people who land on their backs in bottomless powder while jumping off 20 foot cliffs and make one or two terms every 1000 vertical feet or so, you are definitely right! The next best skiers are those acrobats who do those aerial routines on 120cm skis.

Domeskier

Luckily the demise of Epicski will not deprive us of Picabo Street's priceless demonstration of FIS bump skiing. Clearly downhill race champions are the next best skiers on the mountain after cliff jumpers and aerialists:

Teleskier

The western trip advice is crucial IMO. Though threads from 2008 can be a little dated, there are many threads out there on where the best places to stay, eat, park, etc are at some mammoth western resorts.

I was never a reader until just now as it is going away. :) Where is the advice on the western trips? Is it all in the Unofficial Guides (those I read), or is it somewhere else more in-depth?

Jully

I was never a reader until just now as it is going away. :) Where is the advice on the western trips? Is it all in the Unofficial Guides (those I read), or is it somewhere else more in-depth?

It's unfortunately all over the place. Some detail is in unofficial guides for sure, but others are just threads about western resorts/specific threads people have started with questions. Luckily those individuals are moving to Pugski (for the most part) so many questions can be asked there with answers!

abc

The Unofficial Guides ARE the in depth (and comprehensive) ones.

I call the other information as "more specific" as in it's usually specific to the requirement of the person who asked for it. Such as, given the current state of snow condition, and the fact it's late in the season, which run should I hit first and why? Is that famous gnarly line skiable now? The answer may turn out to be: ski this other less gnarly line first. If the condition is iffy, skip the gnarly line for now. Or, I'm going in President's Day weekend, how early do I need to get there to get a parking spot? The answer maybe, park at the Park-n-Ride and take the bus in, so you don't end up walking all the way from the far corner of their mile wide parking lot!

Yes, those are typically "all over the place" because they're individualized.

One of my latest favorite thread from this season was "What Corbet gives, Corbet takes away". It's a post by some one who skied Corbet's successfully one time, only to be hurt on his 2nd attempt. The replies contains a lot of detail about Corbet that people don't know/think of (or *I* don't know/think of).

ForcedHotWater

There's definitely a poser in this conversation, but I don't think you recognize who it is.

Good grief. Another suburban weekend superstar heard from. You know you're talking to posers when they think "bump skiers"are the best skiers on the mountain.

I can't believe this place still exists. Is the site's owner still that chubby little dork from Connecticut? You know, Connecticut - that bastion of skiing and mountain lifestyle? He really liked "seeded" bumps, if my memory serves. :razz: I see you hail from "southeast New Hampshire" - in other words: Boston.

"Alpine Zone" my ass. Have you ever actually been in an alpine zone? Did you get there on your own or were you assisted by some type of machine? Do you even know what an alpine zone is? Do you think they have one at Wachusett?

Jcb890

I like how this thread has turned into a douchey pissing match.

Who the fuck cares?

People ski what they want to ski and challenge themselves how they want to challenge themselves.

ForcedHotWater

I like how this thread has turned into a douchey pissing match.

Who the fuck cares?

People ski what they want to ski and challenge themselves how they want to challenge themselves.

No worries - I won't be here long.