• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter cycling projects

bvibert

Staff member
It's not the winter anymore, but I finally got around to ordering some parts for my bike. I can't wait to start getting it ready! It just occurred to me that I forgot to order derailleur cables though... :smash:

o3jeff

It's not the winter anymore, but I finally got around to ordering some parts for my bike. I can't wait to start getting it ready! It just occurred to me that I forgot to order derailleur cables though... :smash:

What did you order? Did you get wheels?

bvibert

Staff member
What did you order? Did you get wheels?

No, still need to figure out he whole rear wheel thing. I ordered a new rear derailleur, cassette, and 2 derailleur hangers. My last ride the shifting got all wonky and I ended up jamming the chain between the cassette and spokes really bad. Ended up finishing the ride in pretty much one gear.

o3jeff

No, still need to figure out he whole rear wheel thing. I ordered a new rear derailleur, cassette, and 2 derailleur hangers. My last ride the shifting got all wonky and I ended up jamming the chain between the cassette and spokes really bad. Ended up finishing the ride in pretty much one gear.

Sounds like your last ride was less than enjoyable for you.

I really need to order a new drive drive train for my FS.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like your last ride was less than enjoyable for you.

I really need to order a new drive drive train for my FS.

Yes, I was pretty pissed off. I don't think the rest of my group was too pleased at being delayed for 20 minutes while we worked to get the chain unstuck either.

That's why I'm going to start the season with a fresh, straight hanger and a new derailleur. I always like to start the season with a new cassette and chain anyway. I need to check the chain rings on the front, the "middle" could probably use replacement too.

o3jeff

Yes, I was pretty pissed off. I don't think the rest of my group was too pleased at being delayed for 20 minutes while we worked to get the chain unstuck either.

That's why I'm going to start the season with a fresh, straight hanger and a new derailleur. I always like to start the season with a new cassette and chain anyway. I need to check the chain rings on the front, the "middle" could probably use replacement too.

By middle you mean the granny gear?

bvibert

Staff member
By middle you mean the granny gear?

No, I mean what would be the middle if I had a big ring. I don't like using the granny if I can help it. I'm not good at spinning, mashing is more effective for me. 8) I've destroyed several middle rings, but I don't think I've worn out a granny yet.

MR. evil

Tuesday night rides at Trumbull are fun, not usually too much sessioning though. If you like rollers there's plenty there though!

It would have to be a weekend, and need to be a good mix of pedal & play to justify the drive.

bvibert

Staff member
My parts should be here Friday. Still need to get some cables and some spokes for the rear wheel. Gonna have to limp along with that one for now. I need to get a middle chain ring too. I'm thinking about going 1x9 so I can run a heavy duty single speed type ring up front. I keep bending the rings I've been using, somehow.

MR. evil

My parts should be here Friday. Still need to get some cables and some spokes for the rear wheel. Gonna have to limp along with that one for now. I need to get a middle chain ring too. I'm thinking about going 1x9 so I can run a heavy duty single speed type ring up front. I keep bending the rings I've been using, somehow.

I tend to bend chain rings pretty easy too. After 3 Shimmano LX / SLX rings in 2.5 seasons my shop just convinced me to spend a little more $$ and get a better ring. It was explained to me that most of the lower to medium quality stuff is stamped out of low to medium strength steel. While the higher end stuff is machined out of high strength steel. I eneded up ordering a RaceFace Turbine 32T ring. With my discount the ring is around $50

I also have a DT Swiss RWT 10mm rear thru axle and a Hope 10mm conversion kit coming in on the same order.

bvibert

Staff member
I was wondering about just getting a higher quality ring too. I do tend to buy the cheapest I find on sale...

That RWT will stiffen things up nicely! When I get a new rear wheel I'm definitely doing to go with a thru axle of some type. The QR I'm currently running loosens up all the time!

o3jeff

Any opinions on cassettes? I have a Sram PG980 and have had no problems with it. Anything better around that price range($60) I should be looking at?

bvibert

Staff member
Any opinions on cassettes? I have a Sram PG980 and have had no problems with it. Anything better around that price range($60) I should be looking at?

That's what I used last season. It seemed okay, but the alloy spider for the 3 biggest cogs got kinda mashed up and stuck on my freehub. I had some trouble getting it off this past weekend. Before I had taken the old one off I ordered a PG990, which has a larger spider with more of the cogs on it. Looking at the pictures now I'm not sure that the ridges to interface the freehub run all the way along the spider, so now I'm nervous the same thing will happen again. It should be delivered today, so I'll look at it then.

I think maybe I need to work on not being such a pedal masher, it's rough on equipment... :eek:

o3jeff

That's what I used last season. It seemed okay, but the alloy spider for the 3 biggest cogs got kinda mashed up and stuck on my freehub. I had some trouble getting it off this past weekend. Before I had taken the old one off I ordered a PG990, which has a larger spider with more of the cogs on it. Looking at the pictures now I'm not sure that the ridges to interface the freehub run all the way along the spider, so now I'm nervous the same thing will happen again. It should be delivered today, so I'll look at it then.

I think maybe I need to work on not being such a pedal masher, it's rough on equipment... :eek:

Luckily I don't use the 3 big cogs!