• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Blue Moon Sale

spiderpig

I stumbled across Mohawk Mountain having a "once in a blue moon" (or annual) sale of equipment from their rental department on Saturday. Does anybody have experience shopping at this? The prices ($59 boots, $69 skis) make me skeptical that the items are in any condition to be used by an expert.

Jully

I stumbled across Mohawk Mountain having a "once in a blue moon" (or annual) sale of equipment from their rental department on Saturday. Does anybody have experience shopping at this? The prices ($59 boots, $69 skis) make me skeptical that the items are in any condition to be used by an expert.

If they are selling old rental equipment that cheap... I would guess it might be a bit sketch. Depends on the rental department though! Wildcat sold some of their rental collection a few years ago and that stuff was not half bad. It was also not half as cheap as this is though.

What are the models of skis/boots, do you know?

spiderpig

If they are selling old rental equipment that cheap... I would guess it might be a bit sketch. Depends on the rental department though! Wildcat sold some of their rental collection a few years ago and that stuff was not half bad. It was also not half as cheap as this is though.

What are the models of skis/boots, do you know?

I don't have recent experience renting from them, so I would only know what I glanced at on the way to the bathroom.

dlague

It is probably retired rental gear or older demo gear. "Experts" probably should not be buying $69 skis and $59 boots.

Jully

It is probably retired rental gear or older demo gear. "Experts" probably should not be buying $69 skis and $59 boots.

Boots definitely. IF**** it was a decent ski model, $69 for a pair of rock skis isn't bad if you're in need. However, decent ski and $70 are more than likely mutually exclusive.

spiderpig

I'm smart enough to be skeptical of the prices going in. Just wondering if anybody has been there for this sale before.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Better off going to a swap...especially if you're in Ridgefield. I'm in Brookfield and what I see at the area ski swaps are 80% crap, but 20% or so is really good stuff for really cheap. Especially if you like race skis. IDK how swaps are in ski country but down here it's skis from 2005 that have sat in an attic for 10 years and are not worth a dime, and then there's really good sets that were used for a season or two that sell for cheap because people don't know what they have. That and the good skis don't sell because the "touristy" clientele down here doesn't know what a good ski is.

Up north I'd imagine there's more good skis but anything that's a good deal sells quickly. Just my guess...

BlueBoy74

Given the mountains you ski you're far from an expert.

Jully

I'm smart enough to be skeptical of the prices going in. Just wondering if anybody has been there for this sale before.

I've only seen it at Wildcat before. That was their demo collection that they were selling. Some mid range Nordicas and Rossis IIRC. It has the potential to be a good deal, but also the potential to be total crap. If I was close I might pop by just for a little ski stoke at the least haha.