• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015/16 Snow tire thread

steamboat1

Last season during one of the better snowstorms I was changing out of my ski boots in the parking lot at the end of the day. This was a level parking lot mind you. The snow was up to the bottom of my windows, had to dig out a bit just to get into the car. The ski area had employees walking around the parking shoveling out cars that couldn't even get out of their parking spot on a flat surface. They asked me if I though I needed help. I said no because I had AWD with 4 snow tires (Blizzaks). They said most of these people don't even have decent tires on their cars & walked on. Put my shoes on, put the car in reverse & backed out like there was nothing there.

There was even more excitement later but I won't get into that.

Last edited:

Puck it

So, you've never owned a set of snow tires. Got it
I have never a set either and I grew up in NNY. God's Country. The only time I switched tires was on my X5 from the summer tires to all seasons tires. The summer tires do suck in the cold. Compound gets hard as a rock.

yeggous

Where does everyone buy their tires? In my experience Costco has been hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

Pretty much all of us grew up in northern states. I took my frigging driving test in a snowstorm and drove around on bald tires through most of HS. Just because I can drive in those conditions doesn't mean I want to now. Same reason I like having different skis for different occasions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty much all of us grew up in northern states. I took my frigging driving test in a snowstorm and drove around on bald tires through most of HS. Just because I can drive in those conditions doesn't mean I want to now. Same reason I like having different skis for different occasions.

Bingo

I could see the argument against owning snows if there was a substantial financial benefit to sticking with All Seasons, but there isn't.

As is being proven here in this thread (again for like the 40th snow tire thread since AZ started); the people who argue against owning snows have never had them.

ScottySkis

Bingo

I could see the argument against owning snows if there was a substantial financial benefit to sticking with All Seasons, but there isn't.

As is being proven here in this thread (again for like the 40th snow tire thread since AZ started); the people who argue against owning snows have never had them.

I love them for getting home they dont plaow a kotswhere they don't allow much. Plowing sucks when your commute goes through 3 rural county's

hammer

Bingo

I'm sure they are better but I'd rather not have my rims beat up with swapping tires twice a year. Steel wheels are not easy to find for Volvos and sorry but I don't want a TPS light blaring at me for several months a year.

I manage fine with AWD and all-seasons and I don't go out if the roads are too bad.

Personal preference...

If there's any car I'd get snows for it would be my daughter's Ford Focus. That little light car is pretty bad in the snow with AWD tires.

I'll be replacing my tires this fall, not sure what I will get yet. The Continentals I've been running with were better in the snow than the OEM Michelins (most OEM tires are crap anymore) but I had an issue with an out of round tire that I just could not get balanced quite right.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why waste the money if I don't need them?

$80 a year is a few days worth of apres beers.

We're not talking about a lot of money.

At least you're on ATs. That's reasonable. I've never found an All Season that's been even close to as good as snows.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm sure they are better but I'd rather not have my rims beat up with swapping tires twice a year. Steel wheels are not easy to find for Volvos and sorry but I don't want a TPS light blaring at me for several months a year.

I manage fine with AWD and all-seasons and I don't go out if the roads are too bad.

Personal preference...

If there's any car I'd get snows for it would be my daughter's Ford Focus. That little light car is pretty bad in the snow with AWD tires.

I'll be replacing my tires this fall, not sure what I will get yet. The Continentals I've been running with were better in the snow than the OEM Michelins (most OEM tires are crap anymore) but I had an issue with an out of round tire that I just could not get balanced quite right.
One week after I got my car, I bought a set of very lightly used OEM original alloy wheels in just about perfect condition (1" smaller than my upgraded alloys that came with my car, which is ideal for snows) with General Altimax snows that had one season on them for $500. No swapping tires on and off rims. You can barely buy new tires for 500 let alone alloy rims. It was like I got the rims for free and the snows were great last winter. I will get a new set of snows this fall.

HD333

One week after I got my car, I bought a set of very lightly used OEM original alloy wheels in just about perfect condition (1" smaller than my upgraded alloys that came with my car, which is ideal for snows) with General Altimax snows that had one season on them for $500. No swapping tires on and off rims. You can barely buy new tires for 500 let alone alloy rims. It was like I got the rims for free and the snows were great last winter. I will get a new set of snows this fall.

I am trying to do exactly this for the wife's new ride and I am not having much luck.

Anyone with a lead on some rims/tires for a 328x drive please share the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

$80 a year is a few days worth of apres beers.

We're not talking about a lot of money.

At least you're on ATs. That's reasonable. I've never found an All Season that's been even close to as good as snows.

Plus the cost of the tires! Some of the tires mentioned on this thread are not cheap. For my truck - I would need 4 at around $160 each and that is the low end for tire size 265/50R20. Part of the reason I have good traction is due to the weight of my truck and the width of the tire. It also is AWD with traction control that works very well. The right tool for winter! The all season tires I use are designed to reduce hydroplaning when wet or slushy.

Description of my tires

All-Season Performance

Staggered circumferential grooves, curvilinear blades, and see-through grooves help enhance forward and lateral traction, and enhance grip in rain and snow.

Funny thing about this thread, I was showing it to my wife and all of a sudden she is thinking Snow Tires - What? Her logic, she needs new tires and we plan on trading it in in the spring so with that in mind, rather than buying all season, go with winters and then trade it in around April.

Discliamer: I have to admit, NH does a phenomenal job clearing the highways (for the most part). Getting to Cannon is easy right off the highway and we live about 1.5 miles from the highway on a flat road. My wife works from home most of the time so my truck is our real recreational work vehicle.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Plus the cost of the tires! .

As mentioned prior. It ends up prolonging the life of your summer tires. Over time, the only added cost is the swapping. If you like your car and buy the same model again, the winter steel wheels (or alloys if you want something nice) are usable again.

Your V8 monstrosity pisses away gas and money too. So, I guess it's a matter of where you don't mind spending it. It's cool that you don't want to go that route, but to argue against something you've never tried??? That's like saying Long Horn Steakhouse is a good as Ruth Chris when you've never been. That's all I'm saying.

Good siping on the tire is what make it work in snow.

And the compound of the rubber. You experienced the same with summer tires.

Last edited: