• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wst 3/23-24

SnowRock

Drove up from NJ last night to Stowe. About 4-5 of cream cheese and has been snowing steady since I got here at 7:30. Slowing down a bit in the last 10. Pretty mashed up down low. Some fun spots up top. First few runs were a blast on the groomers with the dense snow. Legs are feeling it.... wind will definitely be interesting tomorrow morning.

Ol Dirty Noodle

I just booked a room at star-lite, might as well get the leftovers Sunday as well. Gonna head up to Belle around 5 tomorrow get my season pass at 8 eagerly wait for first chair

cdskier

So VT still doing fine at elevation road wise.

Here's the cam at the junction of 11/30 in Winhall (right at the top of the hill on 11 climbing out of Manchester, maybe a mile down the road from Bromley.

https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=25

Yea...cams on my route look ok so far as well. 4/22A intersection in Fair Haven still clear roads. No cameras beyond that on my normal route, although 4 in Mendon by K looks decent now as well (this morning there were some reports of accidents in that area).

cdskier

Yea...cams on my route look ok so far as well. 4/22A intersection in Fair Haven still clear roads. No cameras beyond that on my normal route, although 4 in Mendon by K looks decent now as well (this morning there were some reports of accidents in that area).

Correction...there's a traffic cam in Brandon on Rt 7 too. I didn't forget about it, but the timestamp on it threw me off and I thought it wasn't updating. The image is different than this morning so it is working apparently. Looks like I'll hit snow-covered roads somewhere between Fair Haven and Brandon which is what I expected.

Fair Haven:
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=03

Brandon:
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=08

Mendon:
https://vtrans.vermont.gov/operations/rwis/camera?id=36

SnowRock

Now I'm wondering if I should bring the big bazooka skis.

Should be rightside up with this storm which is good. Firm layer underneath definitely needed some wet snow to bond and cover up. Once the upslope machine cranks up and sun goes down, should get some nice lighter snow to finish. Just based on feel it doesn’t seem like it’s warmed as much as they were calling for here during the day and snow has kept pretty steady.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
10" at MRG base as of 11:45. Just got 4" in the past hour and still dumping.

Glenn

Storm is also modeled to move a little quicker now, so those winds should be moving out sooner, especially across the Southern Greens, tomorrow.

Just hoping that the dry slot during the afternoon that some are talking about now happens so that whatever is on the roads can be cleared before the evening heavier bad starts!

Good point! It could be an interesting ride up later! Still looks to be little/no accumulation on the Bratt I-91 cams. Maybe just a trace at our place. I'm sure it's a different story getting into elevation!

Zand

Sounds like 89 SB is closed at Montpelier. MRG reporting 4" in the past hour.

tnt1234

Still struggling with Bell or Hunter. I really wanted to try those new trails this year. But Bell is much mellower place...always nice to be up on that mountain....

And I guess if it snows all night, they will open some more galdes and cathedral brook.

Yeah, I guess Bell is the right thing to do here..

JimG.

Staff member
Still struggling with Bell or Hunter. I really wanted to try those new trails this year. But Bell is much mellower place...always nice to be up on that mountain....

And I guess if it snows all night, they will open some more galdes and cathedral brook.

I was at Belle Mon and Tues; after skiing the trees there for the past 2 weeks before that the woods were really burned out and naturals were toast as well. They lost at least a foot of base in the warmth and rain last week.
Not sure this event is going to make the trees this far south great unless you use your rock skis and even then watch out for snow snakes. And be prepared to duck ropes.
That said the bumps on Mon and Tues were icy; it did snow about 2" Tues which freshened things up but you will need edges so throw a fresh tune in with your rock skis.

Ol Dirty Noodle

No... it’s not... go away

WWF-VT

Easily 14"+ here at Sugarbush. Mt Ellen shut down after losing power around 11 AM so I did the afternoon shift at Lincoln Peak. Everything off North Lynx chair was deep and uncrowded. Lower mountain almost sticky with packed snow and 32 degree temperature.