• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown - 12/14/08 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 12/14/08, 7:30 - 10:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Manmade powder covered bumps

Trip Report: Great night. Got on skis a bit after 7:30 along with 2knees. After a few runs we met up with MrMagic. Got hooked up with Brian around 9 pm. We skied the Nor'easter and Temptor bumps all night as usual. They were skiing way better than I anticipated despite an "AlpineZone Special Alert!" phone cal from powhunter this afternoon which indicated powder troughs. Not a bit of ice, or even hard pack to be found. Smooth talcum powder bumps. amazing given the rain they saw last week. Some fun lines and some nice whales showing up. The bumps are like an amusement park ride. Great stuff! Given they are closed again midweek this week, getting out tonight was a no brainer.

bvibert

Staff member
Glad I made it out. Got on the lift at about 8:40. I skied a couple laps before waiting at the top for the rest of the crew. As Greg said they were skiing really well. No complaints at all. I'm very satisfied, even if I only got a bit more than an hour in, 7 or 8 runs I'd guess. Great to ski with the crew again. I was looking forward to the Wednesday night session this week, once I saw that wasn't going to happen I made the push to get a little time in tonight.

2knees

man i needed that tonight. great skiing with you guys as usual. Greg, brian and chris were all killing it as usual. video is uploading now. some footage is kind of rough, camera is getting beat up and i think it was in compact mode at some point but you DEFINITELY get an idea as to just how big those bumps were. Totally bummed that they arent open tomorrow as some warmth and a little rain would really let you run it.

all the vid is of temptor so its repetitive but i fit a whole band of gypsies song in greg so your request was honored.

btw, MrMagic doesnt say boo on here but that dude rips. hands down.

powhunter

glad tonight was good for you guys!!! Were ya hitting those lines on the right?? Man those were the cats ass!! Had the new boots today (krypton crosses) Really liked em was able to get way forward... Sucks they are closed till fri...Hope to get out with you guys at the end of the week...

steve

2knees

seems like alot of people have found vimeo. I've been in line for almost an hour now.

anyway, i cant believe how big those fruckers were. Even the ones on nor'easter had tractor beam pull. So happy to be close to sundown. "Sullivan in 2012"

Greg

Staff member
Sweet video! that little camera does a good job with the night footage. thanks for putting that together. The footage from that huge whale bump we called the "perch" was particularly rad.

2knees

sorry about the youtube. vimeo was coming up as a "private video". i have absolutely no idea wtf i did to do that. i'll try to fix it tonight but i cant get into vimeo at work.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sorry, for the misinformation about staying open during the week. It was our intent to do so, as it was the previous week. Our weather guy (New England Weather Services) tells us that we are in for warm rain every day this week. NOAA agrees with him. We are shooting for Friday, but even that is questionable with this forecast.
Skier traffic and slope maintenance in this kind of weather would have a negative impact on long term conditions.
On a more positive note it is only December 15th and PA, the Catskills, and SNE, are off to a pretty good start despite the insane amount of rain we have had.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sorry, for the misinformation about staying open during the week. It was our intent to do so, as it was the previous week. Our weather guy (New England Weather Services) tells us that we are in for warm rain every day this week. NOAA agrees with him. We are shooting for Friday, but even that is questionable with this forecast.
Skier traffic and slope maintenance in this kind of weather would have a negative impact on long term conditions.
On a more positive note it is only December 15th and PA, the Catskills, and SNE, are off to a pretty good start despite the insane amount of rain we have had.
No problem, Chris. It's not your fault after all. :D Looks like a terrible week for skiing anyway, unfortunately.

Greg

Staff member

Vimeo is way better. Thanks. Check out 2knees catching his breath (2:01) at the bottom of MrMagic's run... :lol:

Just teasing. You were rocking last night.

Greg

Staff member

Thanks for chiming in. I guess not everybody is willing to ski in some rain so you gotta do what you gotta do. Although today doesn't look that bad and I have to imagine those bumps would be friggin' sweet this afternoon with the warmth. Seriously, great job whipping those bumps back into shape. They really skied amazingly well considering that crap hand you were dealt at the end of last week. If you're open Friday, I'll likely be back in the afternoon.

I understand your goal of snow preservation, especially this early in the season. Hopefully, you'll be able to go into a full time operating schedule starting this weekend. And you're right, it's still only mid December. Some years you don't even open until now and this year we've been blessed with not only a ton of snowmaking, but some rad bumps right out of the gate. Just promise us that you guys will be more willing to stay open during mild light rain events in the spring when Gunbarrel has top to bottom bumps. If so, we'll let this week slide... :razz:

Beetlenut

Wow. Meaty beaty big and Bouncy. Those bumps looked large and round! The troughs looked kind too. Good bump skiing boys! Doc says end of January I can get back out there. Counting the days!

Greg

Staff member
Doc says end of January I can get back out there. Counting the days!

Nice! That's not too bad. A few weeks of Temptor to get back into it and then bring on Gunny! Bunch of snowmaking whales on Gunny already BTW...

powhunter

Nice vid!!! everyone was skiing great!!!Just looked at the weather for the week and it really sucks...Sundown prob made the right call...Hopefully when they do reopen it will be for good!

steveo

2knees

you gotta do whats right, obviously.

we were barking a bit last night about the midweek closing but in reality, we have been so lucky to have those bumps so soon its incredible. Our disappointment is a testament to how well run your area is.